HMS Hermes 1982

Phil Reeder

This has always been my favourite picture of the old lass....That's me, Ist man aft of the deck edge lift, when I was on 814 Sqdn, "The Flying Tigers"....Taken 1978.......Smudge

Hermesportrait_1529x1200.jpg

Smudge

my father in law was on hermes about that time (maybe a bit earlier)

what mods would be needed to convert the falklands hermes to that 1 apart from hacking the ski jump off?

Orangehobby have a 1968 version in the pipeline, although I think it would be polite to enjoy the 1982 version and let Orangehobby catch their breath before asking when the 1968 version will be ready.

Personally, I would wait for this version before hacking the 1982 version to pieces.

John

John is right about allowing some time before asking for the next iteration of Hermes. To use the expression, 'give the guy a break'.

I help OH with materials/ plans/subject suggestions and it takes a long time for the idea to work through to prototype and then casting. However, Hermes 69 and Viraat when they come will all have the correct aircraft. Sea Vixens and Buccs for the former! There are other postwar RN subjects including other flat tops but to repeat, it does take time to assemble as much info as possible, do 3D cad designwork, cut the master, get the decals drawn up and printed, have some brave chap do the brass etch etc, etc. The owner of OH is a real RN fan and we are lucky that we have someone who does not pander just to the US market. There will be other 1:350th subjects but they will not intrude on the subject matter in the Atlantic Models range. All good things comes to him(or her) who waits!

Wow! Very nice model! :)

Would like to see a HMS Centaur Kit produced (or atleast a Decal Conversion for Hermes). I'm guessing you could convert the Hermes mould? as Other Centaur Class Ships didnt have that much of an Angled ramp?

My Grandad was a gunner abour Centaur during 1962-'65, but was then Transfered for a short period aboard HMS Albion as Centaur was used as accomodation. The Centaur-Class Carriers were remarkably beautiful ships at the time! Would be good to have a few more kits produced for various ships :)

Mine arrived yesterday courtesy of John at British Forces Models. It's a stunning kit, superb casting, very detailed, lots of etched details which will challenge all of us. Should build into a very impressive model.

Mike

This Hermes will keep me busy for months,so happy to wait.just started HMS Ocean and she has plenty of PE. Will be good training for Hermes.This year has probably been the best year for british warships in both scales.

Edited by Chris Hewitt

Wow! Very nice model! :)

Would like to see a HMS Centaur Kit produced (or atleast a Decal Conversion for Hermes). I'm guessing you could convert the Hermes mould? as Other Centaur Class Ships didnt have that much of an Angled ramp?

My Grandad was a gunner abour Centaur during 1962-'65, but was then Transfered for a short period aboard HMS Albion as Centaur was used as accomodation. The Centaur-Class Carriers were remarkably beautiful ships at the time! Would be good to have a few more kits produced for various ships :)

As you mentioned, as far as the hull part Centaur didn't have that much of an angled flight deck; however the island superstructure was very different and would need some considerable work to make it look correct.

Mike

(another modeller who thinks Centaur was a good looking carrier).

Yeap, a Centaur class would be nice as possible to do Albion & Bulwark circa Suez campaign to go with the Fujimi Eagle, then later fit as per Centaur or modify to the later Commando Carrier fit for Albion & Bulwark. I'm sure its possible for Orangehobby to adapt a Hermes master to the Cenatur hull and create a new island, however i doubt there would be as much interest and thus demand for Hermes's older half sisters unfortunately.

Received my Hermes kit last week and its does look rather tasty, many thanks to OrangeHobby for creating such a fine kit.

G

The Atlantics Albion/Bulwark is the later LPD which replaced Fearless/Intrepid and not the straight through carrier. We should be getting some of these later version Albion/Bulwark in very soon and will post some photos when they arrive.

John

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...