• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GordonD

GordonD

All-round great guy

• Gold Member
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:06 AM

As the subject line says, any tips on painting etched brass parts? Do I need a primer coat or will Humbrol rattlecan work straight away? I'm concerned about too many coats ruining the detail. The parts in question are the dishes from the Dragon Apollo high-gain antenna and I don't want to clog up the mesh.

#2 pigsty

pigsty

give peas a chance

• Gold Member
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:25 AM

I would generally undercoat first. Harking back to my old figure-painting days, a quick coat of matt white usually suffices. Then apply top-coat(s) as thinly as you can. If you're worried about fine gaps clogging, the easiest thing is to blow the paint out of them before it dries.

#3 Shar2

Shar2

Banana

• Global Moderator
  • 7,989 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

Wash the etch in soapy water and dry thouroughly then you shouldn't to prime or at least only a light coating.

#4 Ant

Ant

Slave to the sanding stick

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

I use a coat of acid etch primer to make sure the paint sticks (available from Halfords etc).

#5 flying tiger

flying tiger

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:41 PM

And a very good thing is to heat them with a lighter until they just turn yellow from the heat and then let them cool naturally.

#6 Harry Lime

Harry Lime

Just victims of the inhouse driveby

• Members
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:21 PM

I just give mine a wipe with white spirit to clean up, then a quick coat of matt grey (either hairy stick or airbrush). After that, it's time to apply the top coat.

Mark.

#7 GordonD

GordonD

All-round great guy

• Gold Member
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:06 PM

Thanks for all the tips. In the end I decided to go without the primer, and it seems to have worked okay - the dishes came out just as I'd hoped.

Posted Image
Posted Image