HMS Warspite 1938

The hanger structure has been finished,the fittings at the edge of the centre deck have been removed ,as they were not fitted in 1938,a simple screen was fitted in their place.The signal deck carries a full set of signalling lamps ,usually kits just have a couple ,Academy has included all of them,well done to them!

I`ve improved the Admirals walk on the stern,PE netting has been added,and new plastic rod pillars.

Bye Phil

DSCN1451.jpg

DSCN1453.jpg

DSCN1452.jpg

The enclosed bridge from the kit has been reduced in size by cutting off a 1/4" from either side.in 1938 this was more of a square structure.The two pom-pom director platforms on either side of the compass platform have been modified to a simpler half-round shape .The compass platform has had an piece of off-cut Artwox wooden deck ,timmed to size to fit the square open bridge.and has had various details added.

Bye Phil

DSCN1454.jpg

DSCN1455.jpg

DSCN1458.jpg

The bridge area is mostly finished ,just needs some PE details to be added from my PE locker.The 4" AA directors, did in 1938 have a different type of "pram-hood" domed cover.I made these with Milliput ,and sanded them to shape.They were coloured white ,with the actual rangefinders black.

I`ve made a start on the funnel,I had a stroke of luck,I found a PE funnel grill in my spares ,from an old KGV set,this fitted perfectly to the funnel top.Some interior vents have been fixed inside ,along with a plastikard platform.

Cheers Phil

RSCN1461.jpg

DSCN1462.jpg

DSCN1463.jpg

The funnel has four cables hanging vertically down,these I simulated by pieces of stretched sprue .Some PE deck-railing has been added to the platforms on the funnel,and it is now completed.

I`ve chosen to paint the ships boats ,red.After looking at that photo I posted earlier,the colour of the boats seem to match the red on the SNP stripes ,so I plummed for that ,they look smart anyway!!

Just as an aside ,how did the Warspite name come about? My personal theory is the the old English name for a Woodpecker was "Wood-speight",and the Elizabethan sailors liken their ship to pecking holes in enemy ships.Right until the late 30`s a Woodpecker was the badge of the Warspite ,until Officaldom changed it to a brass cannon.Just a thought,

Cheers Phil

DSCN1464.jpg

I knew things were going too well,I discovered that the shape of the Admirals bridge deck(the middle one) differed on the 1938 version from the kit,also the HA directors were different too,smaller and more square in shape.Luckily I only use enough cement to hold parts in place ,enabling me to partially dismantle the bridge tower,and amend the deck to near the correct shape,and replace the directors with those left over from my Repulse conversions,which were the right shape and size.Phew that was a close one!

Cheers Phil

DSCN1465.jpg

DSCN1466.jpg

All the ships boats have been finished,I had to add two Whalers to the midships section ,as these weren`t fitted in the 1943 version.I`ve made all the pom-poms,I had to remove the conical fitting from the ends of the barrels as these weren`t fitted pre-war.I added some gash PE railings round the mounting ,these are the only mods I`ve to them.By chance I discovered that Vallejo Tan Yellow almost matches the colour of the wooden deck,so I`ve been able to retouch those bits I`ve altered.

Merry Christmas to all our readers :partytime:

Phil

RSCN1469.jpg

DSCN1471.jpg

DSCN1470.jpg

Phil, I had a very interesting night last night. I did a double search for information about HMS Warspite on google & road runn er. While most of what I found was the same on both, there were some differences, The most interesting for me were the you tube videos, one of which showed the ship about 1/2 dismantled that was taken from the seaward side. Also a color one about 30 seconds long of HMS Hood. Lots of history, & a build article of the old Airfix 1/600 model in a diorama as being dismantled. As an American I have from time to time read about HMS Warspite before this, but never went into it as deeply as I can now do. All of this makes your build all the more interesting & enjoyable. Carl T :thumbsup::speak_cool:

Phil, I had a very interesting night last night. I did a double search for information about HMS Warspite on google & road runn er. While most of what I found was the same on both, there were some differences, The most interesting for me were the you tube videos, one of which showed the ship about 1/2 dismantled that was taken from the seaward side. Also a color one about 30 seconds long of HMS Hood. Lots of history, & a build article of the old Airfix 1/600 model in a diorama as being dismantled. As an American I have from time to time read about HMS Warspite before this, but never went into it as deeply as I can now do. All of this makes your build all the more interesting & enjoyable. Carl T :thumbsup::speak_cool:

Thanks for that Carl.The Grand Old Lady certainly had an interesting career,and it was pity that she wasn`t preserved after the war,but the British people at that time,were just about fed-up to the back teeth with the war and just wanted to get back to peacetime routine.I`ve seen the colour film of the Hood ,which was taken in August 1940 ,and there some stills from it in the Hood book .What surprised me was the very Blue tint on the AP507B Grey,it was almost like the Sea Blue used by the USN.

Anyway enjoy what remains of your Christmas

All the best Phil

I`ve really cracked on over these last two days.I`ve fitted the lower half of the foremast,luckily there are no mods required here.The top half will added towards the end of the build ,as I don`t want to damage it .Another stroke of luck was that the PE crane bases, left over from my Repulse WW1 build ,fitted the PE jibs included in the kit.After looking at photos from this time,the Cranes seemed to be painted a slightly darker grey,so I just sprayed them with Humbrol grey primer,which seemed to match the grey.The 4" guns in the kit are some of the best representations I`ve seen in kit form,however a word of warning,the barrels are ultra fragile ,and break very easily,otherwise they are excellent.

Now for another Warspite "Fact",I believe she holds the world record for scoring the longest range hit , she scored a hit on an Italian Battleship at the range of 26,000yards (13 Nautical miles) in July 1940,which was quite a feat before the days of radar ranging.Althought the German Battleship Scharnhorst hit the Carrier Glorious at 25,000 yards the previous June,she did use radar.I think Warspite holds the record.

cheers Phil

DSCN1473.jpg

DSCN1474.jpg

RSCN1476.jpg

RSCN1478.jpg

She's coming along great Phil. I really wish they had preserved her, but then I'm biased as my Grandfather served on her during WW1.

Thanks Dave,was your Grandad at Jutland ?I hope ,when the spirit moves me, to convert the Academy kit to Warspite in WW1,of course it will have to waterline as the underwater profile was different (no bulges etc).

cheers Phil

OOPs! nearly another alteration missed ,the foremast on the 1938 version is reversed,the upper half of the mast ,along with the support beneath the starfish is to the fore.When she was repaired at Bremerton in 1942 these fittings were moved to aft of the main part of the mast,to allow fitting of the radar lantern and cabin.See the excellent photo sent by Mr R Torgeson(Thanks Roger!)

Made a start on the 15" turrets,"B" and "X" turrets had small platforms for 0.5" MGs ,I was a bit at a loss how to do these,but then I had a brainwave,I simply reduced the height of the kits 20mm tubs that fit on top of the turret,then attached them upside down.worked a treat!

Cheers Phil

Warspite_1937.jpg

RSCN1480.jpg

RSCN1482.jpg

The 15" turrets have been finished ,and "B" turret has got the SNP stripes on.I did these with a combination of coloured decals ,and Humbrol Blue 25 and gloss red paints(which matched exactly the shades on the decals ).I found some quad 0.5" Mgs in my spares box ,although these are little on the small side,they will suffice until I can find something more suitable.Not much more left to do,I hope !!

Cheers Phil

RSCN1484.jpg

DSCN1485.jpg

Shes looking great Phil! i think im gonna wait till i see what the Trumpeter offering looks like before i pick one up (and ya know finish a couple of models too heheh) :P

given your experience with this and the Graf Spee how do you think Academy are shaping up against Trumpeter?

Shes looking great Phil! i think im gonna wait till i see what the Trumpeter offering looks like before i pick one up (and ya know finish a couple of models too heheh) :P

given your experience with this and the Graf Spee how do you think Academy are shaping up against Trumpeter?

Hi Andy, Academys Graf Spee was more like a toy( but to be fair it was designed in the 80`s and put on hold),but they have played a blinder with their Warspite,I think its great! They have done their research ,and the fit was brilliant.As for the Trumpy Warspite I`ll wait and see,but I`ll still end up buying one,along with the QE . After all they are BRITISH!

Cheers Phil

This will be the last post before the model is finished.I`ve made the upper part of the foremast, using plastic and brass rod,and I must said its one of the tallest masts I`ve seen on a British Battleship! The mainmast has been finished ,and additional detail has been added,I made the "H" shaped galley chimney from plastic rod.Well theres just the rigging ,railings ,Flags and fellas to put on and its done.See you on RFI!

Bye for now Phil

DSCN1489.jpg

FSCN1490.jpg

RSCN1488.jpg