Revell aqua color mix + paint = sludge!

Flying Badger

Anyone know what the problem is?

I mixed some Revell acrylic paint with the suggested thinners (revell Aqua color mix) and it turned to sludge... now I've accidentally mixed acrylics into recells enamel thinners before and had this happen but thats expected but the aqua color mix?

I did add two drops of winsor and newton artists acrylic flow improver but I'm fairly sure it did the sludge thing before I got to this stage....

What am I doing wrong?

Anyone else had this issue?

I think I'll stick to mixing Revell acrylics with Tamiya acrylic paint thinner (X-20A) as that seems to work.... either that or just use water, but it would be nice to know what I'm doing wrong so I know to avoid similar issues in the future.

TFB

The same thing happened to me. I have used from IPA to windex and from tamiya thinners to model air thinners with them and never had a problem. When i saw that revell made a specific thinner the aqua color i bought two of the bottles. The first turned out OK(terrible smell though), but the second turned the paint to jelly. So it must be a bad patch. To tell you the truth, you can thin better and spray better with household products. Try tamiya or mr. hobby aqueous color thinner with them, they thin and work with everything.

The same thing happened to me. I have used from IPA to windex and from tamiya thinners to model air thinners with them and never had a problem. When i saw that revell made a specific thinner the aqua color i bought two of the bottles. The first turned out OK(terrible smell though), but the second turned the paint to jelly. So it must be a bad patch. To tell you the truth, you can thin better and spray better with household products. Try tamiya or mr. hobby aqueous color thinner with them, they thin and work with everything.

Also Ajax window cleaner is good. I cant understand how it turns it into jelly when its designed for thinning. And i use the aqua color clean (strong cleaner that even removes enamel!) and never had any probs. Klear is a good thinner too!

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem using the revell Aqua thinner, I now use tamiya x20A to thin it for spraying. I did a test putting some paint in a tray and added diferrent thinners to see what happened and the Revell stuff just turned it in to a sludge,.

Ali

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny because I had to use some Recell Aqua the other day because I was fresh out of this soecific colour in my usually brand. I mixed the paint in the paint cup of my spray gun using the Aqua thinners and that turned to gunk. It took me an hour to get all the mess out of my equipment. I won't be making that mistake again

Mark

Use aqua colour a lot for brush painting. Thin with water and a few drops of flow enhancer. works a treat.

seconded - I accidentally found that if you keep the brush moist with water (every 2 - 3 dips into the pot) it brushes like a dream.

Trevor

• 2 years later...

Sorry for a bit late response but as of today I had the same "sludge" problems. I opened a new thinner bottle..... SLUDGE! TERRIBLE!

I called my friend Sjaak who had the same problem and... after an hour we found out that...

there are TWO DIFFERENT bottles....

SEE PHOTO BELOW.......

revell-aqua-thinner.jpg

CORRECT THINNER ON THE LEFT WITH BLUE TOP AND CORRECT THINNING...

ON RIGHT WRONG SLUDGE RESULT with the thinner with black top at the right (end 2012 and 2013 production batch ? ). The right one does not thin... it sludges giving terrible results!

DO NOT USE THIS RIGHT BOTTLE! ,

I had a spare bottle with the correct blue shell seen at left... and it thinned perfectly and airbrushed OK as well!

My conclusion: there was a production error in I think in end 2012 - 2013 with these thinners with the black shell on top!

(Sorry, I can't tell if current later Revell thinner batch is OK..... Also do not mix up with the Dark blue label enamel thinner)

TIP: If you do not have the correct Aqua thinner another solution is: 70% water + 30% isopropol alcohol from the pharmacy and a drop of dish-water liquid to thin Revell Aqua acryllics paint!

Best regards

Meindert

more info and models on my website: http://designer.home.xs4all.nl/models/workshop/workshop.htm

Edited by meindert

I am no expert but after watching fake Britain and they amount that are flooding in, it does make me wonder after seeing those pics if this is not one, I thought Revell put blue caps on all there products also the one on the right doesn't seem to be a safety one,. Can i ask where it came from Ebay ?

That's a very good point, Stuck. Someone should contact Revell to see if the one on the right is indeed their product, or if it is counterfeit. If there are counterfeit Revell products on the market, the company needs to be told.

Hi Everyone,

A word of warning to anyone who thinks IPA is a universal thinner for acrylics. Vallejo paint hates IPA with a vengeance as IPA turns it into coloured porridge.

Yuck!

Best Wishes,

Will.

I use ipa to thin tamiya ,revell aqua colour and gunze paints .i mix straight in the cup ,paint in first and about 60% thinner to paint at least ,very thin but it flashes off as it lands on the plastic almost .sometimes a drop of water too .no problems ....

• 2 weeks later...