The Friday Night Thread

Jon Kunac-Tabinor

Blimey, the pub is empty!

At least with a recession on, this is a cheap round!

I'll talk to myself then - Pro's and cons of airbrush cleaning, plus what to use.

I'm here ... what would you fancy? I think I'll going off piste with a mulled wine given we are in the season.

Airbrush cleaning - for routine jobs with acrylics it's Medea Airbrush cleaner swooshed around with a small brush and "backwashed". Clean up with cotton bids. When I need something a bit more ruthless I go for Premi Air Liquid Reamer - applied with the handy little tube they attach to the can. I tell you what though .. if you have any open cuts make sure you don't get this stuff in there. Ask me how I know ...

Is it time for another yet???

Cheers

Jim

Hmm, mulled wine, not sure I'm there yet, still in denial over Christmas. (besides, we can't be that far through the year, Airfix haven't completed their 2011 releases yet ;))

Since I use enamels (Humbrol or Xtracolour), I tend to use white spirit for first flush through. My old airbrush, I used Badger sprayaway. Fantastic stuff. Last visit to the shops though, I could only get Revell airbrush cleaner - not convinced.

This is followed by disassembly and a reaming with a pipe cleaner dipped in white spirit, then put back together and a final flush through with more white spirit.

Barman, another please!

evening gents...pint of Spitfire and whatever these chaps are having.

cant comment on tonights topic..im a hairy stick man.. do want to get into airbrushing, but the cost is putting me off.

steve

Pull up a bar stool anyway, you may be tempted to invest! It's not as expensive as you think.

A nightmare shared is a nightmare halved ... or is it doubled??

A Southern Comfort please barman ... some pork scratchings .. and a top up of whatever these good folk are having (can't you tell I've just been paid)

J

Do you find you get any chipping of the clear when you remove the masks? I assume Quickshine is like kleer?

Sorry missed that one from last week! Yes I do find the Quickshine (Klear replacement - thanks Jonners!) does come off with the masking tape sometimes, but Ive never found it to be an issue...yet...

On tonight's topic, I'm an acrylics chap and I use the Vallejo cleaner currently although Ive been trying tesco value all purpose cleaner too as it's some what cheaper!!

No booze again tonight! Popped out to the pub last night, getting too old for 2 in a row a deffinately too old for drinks on a school night...

Phil

Airbrush cleaning.....depends on the paint really, using Tamiya I throw some IPA in the cup and spray it out and for enamel I use cellulose

Pint of Cains for me and whatever anyone else is having. Just ordered some steak fries at the bar - help yourself.

Hairy stick wielder myself (when I actually do some modelling) but did you just say that you use India Pale Ale to clean out your brush? Seriously though I don't have the output to justify the outlay but I've seen some Revell starter kits for about £15-30. Are they any good for one overall colour and would they be easy to clean?

Trevor

steak fries have arrived

Friday night and once again the pub is empty!

(Sidles up behind the bar and pours a nicely balanced Pomerol)

Alright - I'll kick off. Where do you stand on putting in detail where no-one can see it. I have to say I never used to - but as I get older I find myself doing it more and more (in spite of declining optics). Just put in load of plumbing in the deepest recess of my SU 25 wheel bays. No-one will ever see I can be assured - but I know it's there and somehow that gives me a good feeling . Is it a waste of time or something to be applauded? What do you do and if you do it where do you stop?

That was nice :drink: think I'll have another

Cheers

Jim

Evening, I'm having a rather nice Gin and tonic over ice and lime.. Mmmmmm

Well, I do sometimes install details in places that no one (not even me after the build process) will ever see. However I completely agree Jim; I know it's in there and I enjoyed installing it at the time and to me it makes the model feel more 'right' and finished to my liking.

There's no right or wrong in it, so long as you've enjoyed it, it's fine. Stop when you can't be bothered... or can't see what you are actually trying to intstall. :)

Cheers :cheers:

Karl

Edited by Karl

Evening Karl

Anymore obscured detail fetishists out there? - come on let's be having you.

Pork scratchings and a Southern Comfort please barman. And whatever my friends are having

J

Friday night and once again the pub is empty!

(Sidles up behind the bar and pours a nicely balanced Pomerol)

Alright - I'll kick off. Where do you stand on putting in detail where no-one can see it. I have to say I never used to - but as I get older I find myself doing it more and more (in spite of declining optics). Just put in load of plumbing in the deepest recess of my SU 25 wheel bays. No-one will ever see I can be assured - but I know it's there and somehow that gives me a good feeling . Is it a waste of time or something to be applauded? What do you do and if you do it where do you stop?

That was nice :drink: think I'll have another

Cheers

Jim

if it makes you feel better then it isnt a waste of time imho.

to me it is a waste for that reason (nobody can see it)

Evening Karl

Anymore obscured detail fetishists out there? - come on let's be having you.

Pork scratchings and a Southern Comfort please barman. And whatever my friends are having

J

il hav a pork scratchings seeing as your being so generous :)