1/48th Hawker Hunter from Italeri

rod mcq

Well very strange .....but I cannot find out exactly from the importers what is coming in the box ...!!

It would seem that until they arrive no one in the UK appears to know ...should be arriving in the UK next week though ... :)

I will post up as soon as I get some in ..

Regards Trevor .. :D

well it certainly looks enough like a hunter to my eyes, and even though i only normaly do 1/72 this is very welcome im actually getting into 1/48 a bit more, and this looks very tempting.

4. The tailplanes should be positioned some 2.5mm further forward and the associated anti-buffet bullet shortened by 3 mm.

While you are at it, the bullet at the rear of the tailplane/fin junction is much too long. I cut it out and cut off 5mm from the rear end. To simulate the rear formation lamp housing, I added a piece of clear sprue then sanded it to a point. I trimmed about 2.5 mm from the front of the hole in the fin created by removing the bullet, in effect moving the bullet forward by that much, and thereby retaining its spatial relationship with the elevators. With the shortened and reshaped bullet firmly glued in place and blended in with filler, I was able to attach the tailplanes in their correct position. Simple really!

Hi Paul,

Thanks for sharing your tweaks list. I was a little confused by what I take to be a contradiction as bolded above- am I misreading something? Can you clarify? Did you perhaps mean .5mm from the rear end?

bob

p.s. First Hurricanes and now Hunters- I guess I should have been playing the market with my kit stash!

Trim it 5mm, then add a piece of clear sprue (2mm) to simulate the light, for a total reduction of 3mm - sorry, that wasn't too clear was it? (No pun intended!)

To compensate for moving the tailplane 2.5mm forward, you also need to remove 2.5mm from the hole you made when removing the bullet - otherwise there'll be a nasty gap...

Edited by Paul Bradley

Great news, John! I agree 100% with Bill - don't even think about NOT using it, people, if you want a halfway decent Hunter!

Being the proud owner of 4 new Aeroclub sets already, and (Sorry John) having placed a second order last week for four more, I can only agree with Bill and Paul.

However I don't have the wheels and I beleive there as much a issue as the cockpit tub.

Dave

Thanks Paul, that does "clear it up". Interesting question a while up the thread about the nose- I'll have to look at that next time I'm ogling my Hunters. The Academy kit strikes me as a good example of "It looks like a Hunter to me..." until people point out some things, and then...

"Hi, my name's Bob, and I've got AMS."

[Note: this comment is not meant to be a provocation to either armed camp, just a testimony that I understand!]

p.s. I've got some of John's Hunter bits, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have gotten more. Oh well, nobody's prefect.

The cockpit tub is far too shallow. On my build I cut out the floor of the tub and added about 3mm to lower it. This gives enough room to add an after market seat:

newtub-2.jpg

I also added the equipment well and the seat rail.

Karl

Edited by Karl

The cockpit tub is far too shallow. On my build I cut out the floor of the tub and added about 3mm to lower it. This gives enough room to add an after market seat:

newtub-2.jpg

I also added the equipment well and the seat rail.

Karl

Thats a lovely bit of prep work karl, I wondered how much the kit ones where out this has helped show how shallow they really are.

As I said John has 4 more set in progress for me, I'll probably buy another one maybe two Italera Hunters, as I have a lot of F6's but only a few FGA9's I also may need one as a donor for a T8 Herritage set so I might get a T7 too (I already have a Aeroclub T7 waiting in the wings)

I suppose you can say I like Hunter, as I have (or will have soon) 7 aeroclub sets + seats to suit, Heritages Early wing set, JP productions FR10 and GA11 conversions. After reading pauls notes, I think I can live with the undercarriage as is, however I'll see when I get there!

Dave

Thats a lovely bit of prep work karl, I wondered how much the kit ones where out this has helped show how shallow they really are.

As I said John has 4 more set in progress for me, I'll probably buy another one maybe two Italera Hunters, as I have a lot of F6's but only a few FGA9's I also may need one as a donor for a T8 Herritage set so I might get a T7 too (I already have a Aeroclub T7 waiting in the wings)

I suppose you can say I like Hunter, as I have (or will have soon) 7 aeroclub sets + seats to suit, Heritages Early wing set, JP productions FR10 and GA11 conversions. After reading pauls notes, I think I can live with the undercarriage as is, however I'll see when I get there!

Dave

Hunters! You can't have too many can you - I've built a few too!!

John's original set had white metal undercarriage units including wheels of the correct diameter. I once built a T7 using Invicta's (anyone remember them) conversion set - for an article in SAMI. I made the main wheels larger by wrapping thin strips of plastic card around and then using milliput to fair it all in - worked quite well. The wheels are poor in the kit and I think that the wheel bays may be in the wrong place too - though that doesn't really show on any of the kits that I built.

Incidentaly I still have the Aeroclub T7 that I built, what 15 years ago?

As a matter of interest I googled 'Italeri Hawker Hunter' to see what came up - and I stumbled on a 'rival' forum - Here

Assuming Britmodeller is the 'other infamous forum' mentioned - they don't like us on there do they, didn't realise there was such a thing as 'rivalry' in the plastic model kit world :D

Edited by SimonR

Erm...

Those comments were posted by someone called 'tim' - who's apparently written a book on the Hunter.

Sooo - and I'm guessing here - could be connected with a former member of this parish who may, or may not (and I'm not accusing anyone here), have been banned previously from a number of forums - allegedly...

Do a search for: Tim Lamming/McLelland/Chox/Coolcat

So I really doubt it's any substantive inter-forum rivalry - just the odd numpty ;)

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Erm...

Those comments were posted by someone called 'tim' - who's apparently written a book on the Hunter.

Sooo - and I'm guessing here - could be connected with a former member of this parish who may, or may not (and I'm not accusing anyone here), have been banned previously from a number of forums - allegedly...

Do a search for: Tim Lamming/McLelland/Chox/Coolcat

So I really doubt it's any substantive inter-forum rivalry - just the odd numpty ;)

Iain

Indeed!! Sour grapes after being banned from here - but saying that he is the only one allowed to have an opinion on the Hunter - so we mere mortals better stay schtumm (I'm actually reading his Hunter book at the moment - borrowed from the Library - its okay , but I'm glad I didn't pay £30.00 for it!!)

Edited by Bill Clark

Indeed!! Sour grapes after being banned from here - but saying that he is the only one allowed to have an opinion on the Hunter - so we mere mortals better stay schtumm (I'm actually reading his Hunter book at the moment - borrowed from the Library - its okay , but I'm glad I didn't pay £30.00 for it!!)

A nicely done sideswipe on that other forum, deflating waht seeemd to be the somewhat pompous...... Nicely done Bill.

I was also disappointed when I had a chance to look that book over - OK at best, but rather too much padding or retreading. Pity, puts me off trying any others by that author.

John B

Sadly, Wonderland is going to miss out on my order.

I shot off an order for two to them yesterday; they responded almost immediately confirming the order and noting postage at fifteen quid. Fair enough, I said, considering how far the parcel's got to come. Today they emailed me to say that the postage from Edinburgh to Australia is actually FIFTY quid - that is, almost double the cost of the kits!! Far too rich for me; I'll wait until they become available locally (if ever ...). I'm not having a shot at Wonderland; it's not their fault, they're just the bearer of the bad news - but even OzPost isn't that rapacious! Lord knows what effect charges like this are having on your exports, though ...

Slightly OT but I have the book on the TSR2 by Tim Mclelland and it would have been nice to have known before I purchased it that most of it is a re-pop of information available from other sources. Unfortuntey this is not made clear anywhere in the book.

Peter

A nicely done sideswipe on that other forum, deflating waht seeemd to be the somewhat pompous...... Nicely done Bill.

I was also disappointed when I had a chance to look that book over - OK at best, but rather too much padding or retreading. Pity, puts me off trying any others by that author.

John B

It made me laugh anyway John....the bit about how "Hillarious" it would be if we "self appointed experts" would be wrong and Italeri actually issued a brand new kit!

I'd wet myself laughing if they did that!!

I wonder if Airfix are watching how this re-release will sell?

You would imagine a 1/48th new tool Hunter would be on their potential lists -plenty of markings options for home market and overseas modellers too: And one done with the same level of finesse as the Sea Vixen - coming in at under £30 would surely be a winner sales wise.

Given that a change of tailpipes and wing leading edges will basically let you do the entire single seat range ( Ok I know there are other differences, but these are the substantive bits) I reckon Airfix could do a range of versions for a modest outlay in additional tooling.

Cheers

Jonners

Just as a matter of interest, I have just packed an Academy Hunter to send to a friend, which has a resin cockpit and a bunch of Aeroclub stuff inside, after reading your post I multiplied the weight by two and checked the Royal Mail website to see what the cost would be, I knew it would be no where close to fifty quid, according to the website the cost would be £12.50 standard air mail, £17.45 Internationl signed for air mail and this is with the equivalent of two kits, two lots of resin c/pits and two lots of Aeroclub white metal and plastic bits in. I think someone in Edinburgh has made a mistake!

Cheers

Phil

Sadly, Wonderland is going to miss out on my order.

I shot off an order for two to them yesterday; they responded almost immediately confirming the order and noting postage at fifteen quid. Fair enough, I said, considering how far the parcel's got to come. Today they emailed me to say that the postage from Edinburgh to Australia is actually FIFTY quid - that is, almost double the cost of the kits!! Far too rich for me; I'll wait until they become available locally (if ever ...). I'm not having a shot at Wonderland; it's not their fault, they're just the bearer of the bad news - but even OzPost isn't that rapacious! Lord knows what effect charges like this are having on your exports, though ...

Hi Bill,

other tomes ARE available, like "Hunter" by Roy Braybrook ISBN No. 0-85045-751-3

This was published in '87 as "a personal view of the ultimate Hawker fighter" ask your local library.

Paul