• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Kallisti

Kallisti

Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out

• Members
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:46 PM

So I've put the order in and when the time comes... well when I've completed my Emergency Service GB Firefly and SciFi GB Babylon 5 Starfury, I will be building the Tamiya RAF Mustang III, with Techmod decals and some other bits and bobs. I will try not to duplicate anyone else's choices, although it will be a camo'd Mustang as I'm not up to doing a NMF version just yet :)

Looking forward to this one, need to get my skates on with the other GB builds now...

Edited by Kallisti, 21 January 2012 - 12:31 PM.

#2 wellzy

wellzy

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:21 PM

Welcome Kallist No worry`s on the RAF scheme look forward your Build

wellzy :headphones:

#3 Kallisti

Kallisti

• Members
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:02 PM

Well the postman finally got his finger out and delivered the box from Hannants they've been holding onto since a week last Monday!!!
I got the Verlinden cockpit detail set, some masks and Techmod decals, but on looking at everything I've now got I really fancy doing the 112 Sqn verson that comes in the box with the shark-mouth and old-style canopy :) Sadly that means I've wasted a fiver on the aftermarket decals - anyone interested in them?

http://www.hannants....product/TM48033

They are yours for a fiver (5) postage included!

Edited by Kallisti, 17 December 2011 - 01:02 PM.

#4 per ardua ad ostentationem

per ardua ad ostentationem

1/48 is my scale. There are many like it but this one is mine.

• Gold Member
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:37 PM

There seems to be a bit of a theme here with aftermarket decals, kits, and builders not quite matching up!

You will be modelling an aircraft from 112's Italian campaign, I think?

#5 Kallisti

Kallisti

• Members
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:34 AM

and so it begins...

Yes Don, the June 1944-Feb 1945 period when they operated Mustang IIIs, this was during their Italian campaign.

I've decided to take a bit of a rest from the complicated stuff like the Babylon 5 Starfury and do something nice and straightforward like my RAF Mustang so here goes...

Box art
Posted Image

Sprue shots
Posted Image

Verdlinden Resin cockpit has been cleaned up from its castings so lets take a closer look
Posted Image

Let the battle commence!

Edited by Kallisti, 20 December 2011 - 09:16 AM.

#6 Ian

Ian

"I've got a plan...."

• Members
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:38 PM

Another BritStang... excellent !

Ian
- Co-host Britmodeller 2011 P-51 Mustang STGB -

#7 Kallisti

Kallisti

• Members
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:56 PM

Progress has been made over the Christmas holidays...

Let me first say that I think the Verlinden resit cockpit is complete rubbish and I would seriously try to dissuade anyone else from buying it. It takes a huge amount of work to get it to fit and the detail isn't anything special - I used the kit seat and pedals because the resin versions were just not very good. I wish I'd stuck with the kit console as well as the resin one doesn't have the same level of detailing as the rather nice decal that comes with the kit.

Anyway, criticism over lets look at the build... First the seat. Its The kit seat with some Eduard PE seatbelts left over from previous builds, cut down to fit the Mustang seat...
Posted Image

Next the cockpit before the fuselage went together
Posted Image

Posted Image

Since then the fuselage has gone together, with just a touch of filler required around the rear of the radiator and a couple of spots on the underside. More to come...

Edited by Kallisti, 26 December 2011 - 10:56 PM.

#8 tank152

tank152

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:13 PM

Looks a good start. I don't think you can beat a camo finished Mustang like your doing I think they were made for each other.

#9 Mish

Mish

It's Mike's fault!

• Group Build Moderator
  • 18,985 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:56 AM

Nice work

#10 per ardua ad ostentationem

per ardua ad ostentationem

1/48 is my scale. There are many like it but this one is mine.

• Gold Member
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:19 AM

Let me first say that I think the Verlinden resit cockpit is complete rubbish and I would seriously try to dissuade anyone else from buying it. It takes a huge amount of work to get it to fit and the detail isn't anything special - I used the kit seat and pedals because the resin versions were just not very good. I wish I'd stuck with the kit console as well as the resin one doesn't have the same level of detailing as the rather nice decal that comes with the kit.

Yes, I think Verlinden have fallen behind some of the other resin 'aces'. I have a set for my P-39s which is a little disappointing. However, your model looks pretty darned good to me!

#11 Kallisti

Kallisti

• Members
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:34 AM

Looks a good start. I don't think you can beat a camo finished Mustang like your doing I think they were made for each other.

Thanks - this is out of necessity however as I don't think I'm yet prepared for a NMF as without an airbrush the Alcad treatment isn't possible, so instead I'm happy with a camo finish.

Thank you for the nice feedback Don and Mish as well :)

#12 Arniec

Arniec

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:36 AM

Yes, I think Verlinden have fallen behind some of the other resin 'aces'. I have a set for my P-39s which is a little disappointing. However, your model looks pretty darned good to me!

:ditto:

#13 Kallisti

Kallisti

• Members
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:39 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, glad I'm not the only one with the poor opinion of Verlinden resin!

I have a question now... on the lower wing there are two largish square holes that don't seem to do anything or have anything in them

Posted Image

So what are they and what should I do about them? As you can see I have just attached the lower wing to the fuselage so now is the time to do something with them. Should I paint the inside of the upper wing interior green or black or what?

Thanks in advance...

Edited by Kallisti, 29 December 2011 - 12:39 PM.

#14 Kallisti

Kallisti

• Members
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

bumping this one as it seems to have got lost today and I'd really like to get some answers :)

#15 Mike Mcellaney

Mike Mcellaney

Established Member

• Gold Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, glad I'm not the only one with the poor opinion of Verlinden resin!

I have a question now... on the lower wing there are two largish square holes that don't seem to do anything or have anything in them

Posted Image

So what are they and what should I do about them? As you can see I have just attached the lower wing to the fuselage so now is the time to do something with them. Should I paint the inside of the upper wing interior green or black or what?

Thanks in advance...

Just had a look at one of my kits, I would paint them black on the inside, these "holes" seam to line up with the .50 cals and look to be the shell ejection ports?

hope this helps

#16 Adam Maas

Adam Maas

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:38 PM

Those are indeed the shell ejection ports, they're combined on P-51A/B/C models with the twin .50's. So I'd paint them black.

#17 Kallisti

Kallisti

• Members
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:38 PM

Brilliant, thank you guys

#18 oldhouse

oldhouse

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:15 PM

Iteresting Pick for this GB !! i like the camo dressed Mustangs very much !!! Peter

#19 Kallisti

Kallisti

• Members
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:31 PM

I haven't updated this thread ina while because most of the work I've been doing has been a bit here a bit there so it hasn't looked like much.
Anyway, wings are on and cockpit masked up for painting

Posted Image

Underside is also ready, I've filled the wheel well with wet tissue and added the bomb racks. At the time of 112 Sqn having Mustangs, the air war over Italy was pretty much over so they spent most of their time on ground attack, so I will be putting bombs on it.

Posted Image

For the spinner, I gave it an initial coat of XF 16 flat aluminium and then used some maskol before painting the red on and scraping the maskol off...

Posted Image

Not sure if I might have overdone it a little...
For the prop blades, these also got the silver undercoat treatment, followed by some dabs of maskol and then black and then some cleaning off to get some nicely grunged up blades...

Posted Image

No I havn't lost one - I took ot off the sprue to test fit it into the spinner before I closed that up for painting. Sadly I appear to have lost the poly cap that should go inside the spinner so I think I'll just have to fix it on permanently...

More will be forthcoming - its fun building two things at one, two things that are so different - a Mustang and a chainmail bikini girl!

#20 Kallisti

Kallisti

• Members
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:35 PM

Lots of progress over the last two weeks but only one photo to summarise:

Posted Image

Camo paint was done using Tamiya rattle cans AS-30 (Dark Green 2 (RAF)), AS-31 (Ocean Grey 2 (RAF)) and AS-32 (Medium Sea Grey (RAF)) which were originally bought for the 1:32 Spit I did at the beginning of 2011 and have showed sterling service for a couple of other builds last year.

After all that dreid, its has had panel lines picked out with a pin wash, then its first coat of Klear. Canopy frames have been painted both inside and out, undercarriage has been weathered and brake line added although it still needs to have a flat spot added to the tyre. Spinner has been assembled with the scratched prop blades and two bombs have been prepared.

I'll be adding another Klear coat tomorrow once I'm sure this one is dried and cured.

I've begun work on the base as well. This will be a rough scrub-like airfield in Italy, with some fuel barrels and maybe an RAF figure or two.

I'm saving the pilot figure that comes with this for the Revell Mosquito I plan to build at some point in the near future, but doesn't come with any crew. I want to portray it flying to avoid the well known problems with the undercarriage, but I then need a pilot and navigator... this sorts one of those out!

Back to the Mustang... Decals will go on over the weekend I'm hoping.
Next time I'll hopefully be able to show some progress on the base. Currently its just an old picture frame with a layer of claycrete coloured with yellow ochre and Burnt Sienna artist acrylics.

Edit: Here is another photo that shows the panel lines a bit better...

Posted Image

Edited by Kallisti, 12 January 2012 - 11:37 PM.