Airfix Seafire XVII - A return to modelling

Hi all.

Posting this with trepidation - this is my first completed model for nearly 30 years and it has been quite an adventure. Not great by any standards I know, but I did enjoy this immensely and learned a great deal on the way (and how much has changed since my last efforts).

I tried to incorporate as many new (new to me that is) techniques in this build so I can improve and be more aware of the pitfalls in future (and there will be a future - I just got myself the Revell 1/48 Mossie - I am aware of the cons of this kit, so any help with spinners / undercarraige greatly appreciated).

I decided to use the box art scheme for two reasons - I hadn't actually seen one competed in these colours (either the SKY / EDSG + Type C roundels or the combat training variant) and as this was my first attempt at using an airbrush I didn't feel confident enough to attempt a camo pattern just yet (I also think this is quite an attractive scheme). I didn't attempt weathering either, for the same reasons, however now I'm more confident the Mossie will be treated thus. I can see how this enhances things greatly.

The use of Klear was unknown too me (technically it still is - it's all gone - so I used Quickshine from Lakeland and I was pleasantly surprised how much of an aid this is! I'd never used acrylics or masked clear parts until now either so I had to adapt what I knew - or start again from scratch.

Colour matching was an issue - I have learned that what it says on the tin is almost irrelevant - I actually painted the whole kit twice and although the finished article isn;'t quite right it was a hell of a lot nearer than my first.

Apologies for the rather poor pics (iPhone) as they were rather hurried - I have just had a lot of redecoration and horizontal space is at a premium in my house at the moment! But I hope they give you some idea of how it really looks. There are some glaring errors - some of which are the 'schoolboy' variety.

I have to say these forums are a brilliant resource and the knowledge and experience of the members really helps.

Thanks.

IMG_1152.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1154.jpg

IMG_1147.jpg

Edited by Hurricane63

Thanks Gents,

The encouragement is really appreciated - I feel really made-up now!

This is a great kit - something that helped me out a lot - not sure how well things will pan out when I get to do something a bit more awkward, I'm up for a challenge - have to see what Father Christmas leaves under the tree!

Thanks again everyone.

The use of Klear was unknown too me (technically it still is - it's all gone - so I used Quickshine from Lakeland and I was pleasantly surprised how much of an aid this is! I'd never used acrylics or masked clear parts until now either so I had to adapt what I knew - or start again from scratch.

Just to let you know, Johnsons Pledge Multi Surface Wax is the same thing except that it is re-labelled, and for some reason given a smell and a slight beige tinge in the bottle. Being a floor wax, it doesn't dry beige. It dries extremely klear and glossy as ever. I use it on canopies and as a pre-decal coat and it does everything that the old Klear/Future did. Available at Sainsbury/ASDA to my knowledge.

David

SBX Models

Just to let you know, Johnsons Pledge Multi Surface Wax is the same thing except that it is re-labelled, and for some reason given a smell and a slight beige tinge in the bottle. Being a floor wax, it doesn't dry beige. It dries extremely klear and glossy as ever. I use it on canopies and as a pre-decal coat and it does everything that the old Klear/Future did. Available at Sainsbury/ASDA to my knowledge.

David

SBX Models

HI.

Thanks for the tip.

I'd read there was quite a lot of debate about Klear / New Klear / Quickshine. the Lakeland stuff is over a tenner a bottle (and they have discontinued it apparently) so it's good to know there is an alternative.

One bugbear was applying decals - I used Humbrol Decalfix - with mixed results: there were some very distinct white marks / flecks on the large roundels which would not go away - maybe I used it too liberally. I did hear that Kear be used to soften decals - is that right? The decals on this kit are very extensive and tested my patience - there are 6 on each rocket for example!

Thanks again, comments (pos and neg) are always welcome.