Mustang Group Build Chat

From what I have seen the Italian P51 where painted silver ,but God only know`s what the Somalian`s

did with them .?

While some italian mustangs were painted silver, many pictures show aircrafts with variations in the tone that are typical of a natural metal finish. There are several examples here that show this:

http://www.vmas.it/VMAS_vecchio_sito/veliv...livoli_P-51.htm

Hi all

I am please to announce there will be some prizes at the end of this Group Build Ian is donating a copy of Tex Hill book signed by the man him self, I will donate a signed copy of Malcolm Lowe book on the Mustang and merlin 101 has a signed photo of Bud Anderson he has donated . Thank Ian and Dave for there generosity .

Good luck to all Les

Edited by wellzy

Wheel wells - there I've said it, I feel better already.

OK for a Mustang 1A, what's the likely colour for the wheel wells for an aircraft on ops in 1944?

Simple question, doubt there's a simple answer.

Wez

Wheel wells - there I've said it, I feel better already.

OK for a Mustang 1A, what's the likely colour for the wheel wells for an aircraft on ops in 1944?

Simple question, doubt there's a simple answer.

Wez

Wez,

Simple, overall spray coating aluminium powder added to clear lacquer so a matt aluminium or similar - like Tamiya XF-16. Remember you are not going to see much up in those wheel bays because the main inner gear doors are up and locked on the Allison Mustangs.

Have you picked a subject aircraft for your Mustang Mk.IA? Serial and date?

Regards,

Wez,

Simple, overall spray coating aluminium powder added to clear lacquer so a matt aluminium or similar - like Tamiya XF-16. Remember you are not going to see much up in those wheel bays because the main inner gear doors are up and locked on the Allison Mustangs.

Have you picked a subject aircraft for your Mustang Mk.IA? Serial and date?

Regards,

Thanks Col,

As ever you are the font of knowledge on these aircraft. My subject is FD541/T of 268 Sqn RAF around D-Day whilst they were at Odiham - I'm using your article on Hyperscale as a reference.

I'll be posting some photos on my progress this weekend (of this and my two other builds).

Regards

Wez

Edited by Wez

Wez,

Good choice. Flew 60 operational sorties between D-Day and the end of September 1944 and was involved in all the Squadron's major activity during that time, including 2 sorties over the beach head on D-Day, sorties over the Falaise Gap, sorties over the Seine crossings as the Germans retreated. Was used as the semi-regular aircraft of the Squadron's OC, S/L AS Mann DFC, as well as used on occasions by a number of the Squadron's other pilots, including at least one sortie by S/L K K Majumdar DFC IAF, a number of RAF pilots, a RAAF pilot, a RCAF pilot, plus a PAF pilot. Photos of the aircraft taken around July-August 1944 show it to be in fairly good, clean condition, no over the top weathering.

Regards,

Hello everyone,

I'm withdrawing from this GB. I have too many things in progress at the moment and something has to go. Since I haven't even properly started a mustang yet (and they don't inspire me a great deal), I've decided to let this one go. I thought I'd tell you here because the last thing I want to do is to bump a dead thread.

I'll see you around the boards,

Don

I had a lovely surprise this morning at work!

The decals I ordered direct from Leading Edge turned up!! They are for the P-51D in RCAF service with enough options to complete models of Five different units from Western Canada and to 1/72. Eastern Canada set coming after the next weekend according to Dave at LE Models! So, with still time to go, I'm of up to my loft tonight to dig out my Tamiya F-51D(Korean War edition) with the later square tipped HS prop and will be working on it to use these absolute stunning decals on!!

Looks like my Wessex and P-3 projects will have to give way for a short while.

Edited by Paul J

Hi Guys,

I have got a question. Where goes the ignition cables for the HVAR rockets in the wing?

I have found it on the internet. Stupid of me to not do this first.

Here is a link where there is a picture to share.

http://cs.finescale.com/FSMCS/forums/p/102891/1012104.aspx

Edited by Arniec

Also are there any 1/48 P-51D kits that allow you to build with out the dorsal fillet??

Not that I know of it`s down to a sanding stick and filler.

wellzy :headphones:

Edited by wellzy

Hi Arlold,

Looked through my references and this is all I could come up with

P-51rockets1.jpg

P-51rockets2.jpg

In the absence of any better pics or knowledge I would say the wores went in the tail end somewhere.

Hope that helps out

Thanks Mish.

• 1 month later...

I've just counted up the number of finished builds in the GB. :wow: I don't keep reconds of the GBs but this is an amazing result for any GB and the quality of the finished builds is right up there as well.

Great work everyone from the hosts to everyone that took part :bow:

I've just counted up the number of finished builds in the GB. :wow: I don't keep reconds of the GBs but this is an amazing result for any GB and the quality of the finished builds is right up there as well.

Great work everyone from the hosts to everyone that took part :bow:

Is this now the end of the build or is there more?! It's my first GB so does sombody know?

Hi all,

I didn't get mine finished in time (still working on it - oh dear)

But I have to say what a great effort by all that finished - some absolute crackers in there and shows what a high standard you guys model at.

Brilliant

Tuco :winkgrin: