Air America Blue?

I'm really not sure whether questions regarding Air America belong in the Civil section or the Military section but I decided to put this one in here as it was (in theory at least) a civilian outfit, regardless of who actually owned and ran the airline, and the fact that they flew in support of military operations.

I was really wondering if anyone knew the correct colour to use for the blue trim on Air America's smaller aircraft. The blue on the decals in Roden's Air America Pilatus Turbo-Porter looks way too light a shade to me, and the colour pictures in Terry Love's book "Wings or Air America" make the blue look very dark (in the pictures of Porters, Hueys and Beech 18s) but glossy. In fact, in the pictures I've seen, it looks like the blue should be a touch darker than the blue used in the corner of the little American flags painted on the aircraft.

Beyond having a vague idea that it should be a "glossy dark blue", I'm pretty much flummoxed. Does anyone have any better ideas/information?

Thanks,

Daniel

• 4 weeks later...

I doubt there was a single color, and even if there was, I doubt you're going to be able to do much better than taking your best educated guess. Air America had lots more important things to do than keep their own history, so I wouldn't bet we're likely to find a comprehensive painting document with color specs :) Just take your best shot and nobody will be able to prove you wrong...

J

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Daniel,

As I assume you are well aware, the information on the internet is to some extent based on the 'Wings of Air America' book or vice versa.

As to the true hue of blue, it depends on when, where, photographed with what film etc. and how printed/scanned/screened.

We will probably never ever know.

I would suggest that Humbrol 25 matt blue is near to many pictures, Revell 56 is darker and may be a better match for a few but in some other images Xtracolor X335 Sabena Blue seems very close.

Humbrol 14 is too light and any of the PRU blues or Humbrol 157 Azure blue are also wrong.

For those who want to see for themselves, try these:

http://vietnam-hueys.tripod.com/Air%20Amer...home%20page.htm

http://www.utdallas.edu/library/collection.../Leeker/204.pdf

http://cs.finescale.com/FSMCS/forums/t/119443.aspx

http://s12.invisionfree.com/ScaleModelsMal...?showtopic=7351

Of course you could always venture into the weird world of blacks and their range of hues....

http://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviati...quiet_one.html#

Humbrol acrylic Railway Dirty Black is a brilliant paint, Tamiya NATO black is so different can it still be classed as black? :)

All the best,

John

• 4 weeks later...

Slightly :offtopic:

Does anybody have 3-view drawings of the Beech Turboliner (C-45 with tricycle l/g and turboprop engines as used by Air America) to share for a conversion (or know where to find them)?

Slightly :offtopic:

Does anybody have 3-view drawings of the Beech Turboliner (C-45 with tricycle l/g and turboprop engines as used by Air America) to share for a conversion (or know where to find them)?

According to the Wolpak Decals sheet #72011 instructions, the blue used by Air America was FS15044. I have no idea if that particular FS number is covered by any hobby paint manufacturer.

Interesting that you should ask about the Volpar Beech. I have recently been eyeing off one of the Hobbycraft Beech 18's in my stash and thinking of attempting a Volpar conversion. I have trawled the 'net many many times and found plenty of pics but cannot find any plans, 3-views, conversion sets, etc. I can't even find another aircraft that could be a possible donor for the engine cowls!

It's probably therefore going to require home made engines, props, undercarriage and possibly windscreen (some Volpars seemed to retain the original Beech 18 windscreen while others didn't).

According to the Wolpak Decals sheet #72011 instructions, the blue used by Air America was FS15044. I have no idea if that particular FS number is covered by any hobby paint manufacturer.

Interesting that you should ask about the Volpar Beech. I have recently been eyeing off one of the Hobbycraft Beech 18's in my stash and thinking of attempting a Volpar conversion. I have trawled the 'net many many times and found plenty of pics but cannot find any plans, 3-views, conversion sets, etc. I can't even find another aircraft that could be a possible donor for the engine cowls!

It's probably therefore going to require home made engines, props, undercarriage and possibly windscreen (some Volpars seemed to retain the original Beech 18 windscreen while others didn't).

Hi James Venables,

The engines were TPE 331 turboprops, giving some commonality with the TPE 331 used by AA's PC-6/C2-H2 fleet.

For the engine nacelles, then, one solution would be to 'clone' High Planes AU-23's (kit K072087) resin nose-conversion...

Regards,

Pete57

Hi James Venables,

The engines were TPE 331 turboprops, giving some commonality with the TPE 331 used by AA's PC-6/C2-H2 fleet.

For the engine nacelles, then, one solution would be to 'clone' High Planes AU-23's (kit K072087) resin nose-conversion...

Regards,

Pete57

Thanks for the reply. I have the High Planes AU-23 in the stash but aside from the intake area, the Peacemaker's cowl is nothing like the Volpar Beech. The latter is a very slim, rounded cowl whereas the AU-23 tapers from the cabin down to the nose. Still looking for a donor...

• 3 years later...