SU 100 - First posting

Iain

You must be a sucker for punishment. (love the Heinkel BTW). Hopefully these will work too but I'm feeling my way here. The kit is the yonks old Revell boxing of the Zvezda kit (at least that is what I was told). As you can see it proves

a) I can't take pics very well - but keen to learn (I only have a cruddy old Canon IXUS at the mo')

B) I have a lot to learn about armour modelling

c) I need to tidy up the bench!

Be gentle ... !!!

SU100-DEC2010003.jpg

SU100-DEC2010004.jpg

SU100-DEC2010002.jpg

SU100-DEC2010001.jpg

SU100-DEC2010006.jpg

Iain

From memory - and it's been a while - a mix of Vallejo Model Air - mostly - 71080 Rust (never!!) and 71041 Tank Brown - and then a highlight/streaking with Mig Light Rust effects. It was the first time I'd ever tried - beginner's luck I s'pose - thanks for the nice comments though. If I can sort my camera technique and maybe get better kit I'll post a few more of some other builds

Jim

Thanks guys

Yes it's a fair cop - I have dabbled before though hardly in armour - about 25 years back and took up with it all again about two years ago. I'm more of an aircraft modeller than anything else. Recent builds have been a Spit XII, Rafale B (lovely lovely kit), Canberra B.1 8 and for a laugh I am stuck into the AMT Klingon Bird of Prey. Monogram SU25 on the bench now too - it's a lot of work. My build rate is tectonic ... long days commuting to London and family stuff at weekends - but I do enjoy it. Great - and inspiring - to see what you guys do on here

Cheers and take care

Jim

Seem to be on a bit of a roll tonight with nice comments on my builds. The paint finish was actually pretty standard stuff - a bit of colour modulation using various acrylic greens (mostly Lifecolour which I really get on with) followed by a Raw Umber oil wash and then a bit of variation using light oil washes to highlight streak and suggest general fading . The rust was as per my reply to Iain above. At this rate you will have me doing a WIP - which I really don't think my stuff justifies at all . Anywhoo thanks a lot folks !!

Jim

Jim, thats a beauty! The paint job looks absolutely superb, some really lovely subtle fading and weathering. I definitely need to get along to the IPMS mid sussex meetings, modelling Russian armour like that Jim, you are a man after my own heart!

Hi Rob

I'd have to say this was my first dabble in Russian armour - have done a few German AFVs - although not for while. IPMS Mid Sussex will be meeting on 22nd December - for the almost legendary kit raffle (no ,no it isn't just an excuse to offload all your unwanted junk ... honest). Unfortunately I won't be there as I'm off to Cornwall for Xmas - and if you are a student I expect you will be off home. Looks like it will be January when I get there again ... maybe see you there.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Van

Thanks for the kind comments. Actually I built it with the road wheels on and washed and weathered it - then I attached the tracks and painted those up whilst on the vehicle and applied a bit of thinned enamels and pigments to build up a bit of dust and light mud effect. I'd have to say that trying to glue the "rubber band style tracks to the road wheels was a royal pain in the backside - cyano seems to have little effect and I think I ended up using Araldite. I have yet to find to a find a satisfactory way of doing this. If anyone else has please speak up ...

HTH

Cheers

Jim

good stuff Jim

very good weathering.

You can get good pics even with a really basic camera, you might have more luck by not using a flash, and try using a couple of lamps, like two angle poise, as this lessens shadows. [Or shoot outside, might be difficult at the mo though...]

I took some surprisingly usable pics close up pics with a ultra basic point and shoot digital camera with an old magnifying glass held over the front! Lit by two anglepoise lamps. Very short depth of field but the bits in focus are sharp enough :)

see - http://www.network54.com/Forum/578046/thre...wk++AMS++part+2

Sounds like you've got yr hands full but worth experimenting with say, the same model under different light conditions and see how they come out.

HTH

T