Houkoku 515 Zero A6M2 Model 21

petr-pb

Hello,

With the new Airfix Zero finally available in our model shops it was impossible to resist, so I immediately bought one.

Decided to build it plain OOB, no improvements at all, just for relax in the evenings over cutting mat.

Nevertheless, I used the cockpit as testing ground for my first experiments with salt / mascol chipping techniques. And am not sure it went ok.

It should be in this camouflage:

zero08.jpg

taken from the Rising Decals sheet:

72-040_instruction.jpg

Regards

Petr

Zero_IMG_3311.jpg

Zero_IMG_3314.jpg

Zero_IMG_3317.jpg

Zero_IMG_3321.jpg

Edited by petr-pb

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, the level of detail you've acheived certainly looks very good from here! If this is what you can do with the cockpit parts, I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Mark.

Looking good! That cockpit is far more detailed than the Hasegawa Zeroes, and the instrument panel decal looks really good..more than adequate for 1/72.

I'll definitely have to pick one of these up! I wonder if Airfix might consider doing an A6M5 at some point..although come to think of it, they'd need completely new wings, fuselage, and engine cowl. Probably more effort than they'd want to go to for this line.

SN

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot :-)

Today´s photos - camoulfage is finaly finished, XF49+XF21, lightened a bit with XF55 Deck Tan (especially on fabric covered areas).

All tamiya acrylic colours were thinned using Lacquer Thinner which gave the best result, but smelt horribly.

zero-IMG_3462.jpg

zero-IMG_3455.jpg

zero-IMG_3453.jpg

Now this is looking good! Fantastic paint effect, very subtle and makes it look just right.

Mark.

You are very kind, Mark, thank you.

Today, two photos made in the day light. Quite different than previous ones made in artificial light.

Camouflage colour "faded" a bit in comparison with the FAOW art work.

zero--IMG_3475.jpg

zero-IMG_3478.jpg

The quality of your work makes this look as if it is in a larger scale than 72nd Petr and I can't wait to start my kit now having been inspired by you. Well done on such excellent paintwork.

Looks amazing - just hope I can make mine look this good. One question though, how/with what did you mask the canopy? Not an easy one to do, with all those internal curves on the frames!

You are far too kind, thank you.

Canopy masking was quite simple thanks to raised canopy frames, so windows were covered with masking fluid applied carefully with wooden toothpick. Honestly, I wouldn´t mask this canopy with tape just because of those internal curves.

• 2 weeks later...

to all Britmodellers - Happy New Year!

And a bit of progress for today.

Propeller - Alclad Aluminium on the front side, back side oversprayed with matt black and then carefully sanded off at the tips:

zero-IMG_3594.jpg

Lower surface is semi matt:

zero-IMG_3588.jpg

Upper surface is dead matt and oversprayed with heavily dilluted tamiya XF-55 deck tan to simulate sun bleached effect:

zero-IMG_3586.jpg

zero-IMG_3600.jpg

Control surfaces on the tail and wing got some dry brush with Naples Yellow oil colour:

zero-IMG_3601.jpg