Paint masks

Neil

Hi Neil, how's things? Weather's a bit like Cyprus isn't it? Are you going to be in your unit on Monday morning? I'm hoping for a combination of Gardening Fuehrer at exercise classes and too much rain to mow the lawn.................. :closedeyes:

If the Luftwaffe had taken as long to get hold of a real 109 as it's taken me to do mine the war would have been a LOT shorter!

I've used a set on my Spit Mk.1, and they were blinkin' useless, but they were the old vinyl type. They bore no resemblance to the actual shapes, and ended up in the bin. I suspect the kabuki tape ones (like Tamiya tape) would be a better bet, and have bought a couple of sets for some projects... yet to try them though... :hmmm:

Jury's still out for me, but it only seems to take me 10 minutes to mask my canopies, but I've only really been building small single-seaters up until now. Wait til I've done my MPM He.177, and then ask me! :lol:

Hi Neil, how's things? Weather's a bit like Cyprus isn't it? Are you going to be in your unit on Monday morning? I'm hoping for a combination of Gardening Fuehrer at exercise classes and too much rain to mow the lawn.................. :closedeyes:

If the Luftwaffe had taken as long to get hold of a real 109 as it's taken me to do mine the war would have been a LOT shorter!

Not too bad, Mossie stuff has gone well (there's a surprise!). Yup, should be here Monday, pop over any time you like. Seen that there is a fair bit on the Jaguar in Aircraft International, more next issue too apparently. They should of asked you to write a bit .... :pilot:

B)

In my experience paint masks are good for small canopies, single seat fighter stuff, but are hit and miss on larger "greenhouse" stuff.

I got an Eduard mask set for my 1/48 Ju 88 .. ended up binning it, it just didn't quite fit. Close, but not close enough. Got a much better result with tamiya tape and a fresh scalpel blade.

I know what you mean about the MPM 177 Mike. Recently got one for my birthday .... looks like a two blade job to me !!! ;)

I know what you mean about the MPM 177 Mike. Recently got one for my birthday .... looks like a two blade job to me !!! ;)

I'm waiting til I'm older before I do that one... and the Arado 234... glass all over the show! :unsure:

Ok, cheers chaps. I may not bother with the masks then, will probably stick to masking it up with strips of tape as usual. It's just that I have never tried any of those masks out.

B)

Ok, cheers chaps. I may not bother with the masks then, will probably stick to masking it up with strips of tape as usual. It's just that I have never tried any of those masks out.

B)

Hi all!

I have used the Green masks from Eduard, and the only thing I can say about these are; CRAP, Stay away!

On the other hand, Eduards Yellow kabuki-tape masks are wonderful stuff!

I used them on the Tamiya 1/48 Lancasters´ Greenhouse canopy, and they fitted and worked perfectly!

You don´t have to use liquid masks!

I fill the area to be masked with small strips of tamiya tape, esier and works much better, just be sure so the strips overlap each other!

Cheers!

Stefan E

Edited by Phantom2