B-2 Spirit ... colour ?

Skii

probably silly question, but what exactly is the colour code or RLM number ? a small part of me thinks gunship grey, but other pics look like a blue-ish tint, having a reet old job trying to colour match this monster!

probably silly question, but what exactly is the colour code or RLM number ? a small part of me thinks gunship grey, but other pics look like a blue-ish tint, having a reet old job trying to colour match this monster!

Skii,

Your right fella I think its Gunship Grey, as for the RLM number, not sure.

Not really helping am I ??

I'll check some Ref and get back to you

Dan

Edited by Dads203

99% sure they are Gunship Grey, Federal Standard 36118. As for the blueish cast it varies by paint manufacturer, given that they are like the rest of the inventory though and are a bit faded and patchy I'd use a couple or three different brands, add some white and have at it. RLM is short for Reichsluftfahrtministerium and was the standard for Luftwaffe paint during WW2, some of their colours match modern day stuff but I don't think there's a direct equivelant to 36118.

a small part of me thinks gunship grey

Listen to your small part John! :lol:

I've flown over their base in Missouri a few times, it always seems to be very sunny, likewise when they're in Diego Garcia, i'm not surprised the RAM combined with the sunshine fades the paint off a bit. The B-1s seem to look quite similar, so a bit of lightened 36118 over a 36118 base probably won't do your build any harm!

I'm not 100% convinced that it's Gunship Grey it looks too light, see link for another build using Gunship Grey.

http://www.ericksmodels.com/gallery/b2/b2.html#

Scott they are indeed FS36118. The paint fades drastically, look at the backs of a lot of F-16s and Strike Eagles topsides to see that. Also note that with the RAM material on it it trends to lighten the paint even more.

B-2s are notoriously light skinned but many have some very dark patches of Gunship grey poking through. The color difference from the sun side up compared to the sun side down is really drastic....almost like its two toned.

Mike

what would I do without you lot eh ? thanky peeps, very helpful :)

As Gary C says i'm going to be using a lot of different tones and textures in the paint job, just have a look at this pic of the skin , its a modeller's dream :)

060530-F-5040D-135.jpg

Hope you've got a good supply of masking tape Skii !!!...........That lot should keep you out of trouble for a while... :winkgrin:

Andy...

damn straight mate !

I've got a drawer full of the stuff, including some 2mil wide stuff from little-cars I bought at SMW ;)

From what I read the skin of the aircraft is constantly repaired and re-sealed by maintenance crew as the good Sargeant says, each of those patches is a repair but its all goes to create a really interesting texture that doesn't require a paint filled panel line to look good, suffice to say I was concerned a stealth bomber model would look boring from many angles, this if I get it right certainly won't !

cheers peeps

J