1/72 FW-190 A-8/R-11

Seamus

Here's the subject of my next build then; Revell's nice little Focke Wulf 190.

DSCF6384.jpg

Having seen some exquisite Luftwaffe builds at Telford, I figured it's about time I tried my hand at some. Having not built one since I started airbrushing, this will be my first proper go at some mottling, so will be something of a test build to see how I get on with things.

The kit looks pretty nice on the sprues so hopefully it will a nice quick build. Just a quick question before I get started properly, what colour should the cockpit be? I've seen a few Doras being built up which seem to have fairly Dark grey pits, but I just want to double check that is the case for this variant.

Will probably make a start on cutting some plastic this afternoon

Cheers

Shaun :)

Cheers for that Andy :thumbsup2:

I found an online conversion which suggested Revell 9 anthracite, but that seems far too black for me so I wasn't quite sure what to use; a problem now solved :D

Right then, progress on the 190 had been made, with the office complete. Sprayed with Hu 67 Tank Grey as suggested by Andy before giving it a light drybrushing with some light grey and silver. Dials on the IP were picked out with gloss black and a touch of blue and red used to pick out some of the switches. I've left it totally OOB as I couldn't be bothered to make some belts, given how small they'd be and how little will actually be seen once its closed up.

DSCF6403.jpg

DSCF6405.jpg

I've also sprayed the wheel wells and undercarriage in Hu 31 slate grey, given it a Klear coat and applied the first coat of a burnt umber oil wash. One more coat before a light black wash and they'll be sorted.

Next step is to button up the fuselage and get the main construction completed in preparation for painting.

Thanks for looking, comments welcome as always

Cheers

More progress on the 190 then and the bulk of the construction is completed. Generally, the fit was pretty good all round, with the exception of the windshield which was appalling. It's too narrow to fit over the coaming, which as a result leaves some gaps between itself and the fuselage and causes it to be too tall. I've filled the gaps with milliput, which I'll sand back when dry to fair things in a bit better. I've also added milliput around the top of the cowling, but that's due to poor construction on my part, not the kits :blush:

DSCF6408.jpg

DSCF6411.jpg

I've also added the additional coat of burnt umber oil wash, followed by a black wash, to the undercarriage wells to dirty things up a bit in there

DSCF6412.jpg

Once the filler had set hard, I'll whip out the wet and dry and smooth things out before adding the various aerials (not the radar antenna on the wings) before cracking on with a preshade.

C&C welcome as ever

Cheers

Edited by Seamus

Cheers peeps ^_^

Karl, dunno how the Revell stacks up against the tamiya kit, but it's pretty nice for the scale, albeit bloody small :lol: I've been thinking for a while that my collection is lacking Luftwaffe aircraft. I've started correcting that, with an Arado 234 on the way, and I was eyeing up a Heinkel 219 at Telford, but at £16.50, it was a bit too expensive for me. Definitely keen to add a few more to the stash in the future though :)

Pushing along nicely with this one now. I've now sanded smooth the filller and after masking off the wheel wells have sprayed the preshade.

DSCF6413_2.jpg

DSCF6416_2.jpg

I've left the tailplanes off for now to ease the main paintjob, but a quick dryfit shows them to slot in nicely, so no problems as far as fitting them later is concerned.

DSCF6417_2.jpg

Also gave the gear doors and fuel tank the preshade treatment and sprayed up the prop and spinner.

DSCF6418_2.jpg

I'll let that little lot dry overnight and crack on with the camo in the morning

Comments welcome as always

Cheers

Edited by Seamus

Thanks Jesse ^_^

Right then, yesterday was spent spraying up the camo. I started by spraying the undersides and fuselage sides with X208 RLM 76 Lichtblau.

DSCF6419.jpg

DSCF6420.jpg

Then I masked that off and sprayed the lighter of the two greys. I didn't have the correct RLM shade, so I improvised and used Hu 140. Not entirely accurate, but close enough for me.

DSCF6422.jpg

DSCF6426.jpg

With that masked off, I then sprayed the darker grey. Again, I don't have the right RLM so I used Hu 32 in it's place.

DSCF6439.jpg

DSCF6440.jpg

Here's how she looks with the masking off- the tailplanes are dryfitted for show.

DSCF6443_2.jpg

DSCF6444_2.jpg

There's the inevitable touch up to do, but I;m pretty happy with the results. Once they're done, I shall probably apply a Klear coat before attempting the mottling- that way if/when I bugger it up I can simply remove it with some white spirit and start again :D

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome as always

Cheers

Ta Mish :)

I've just sprayed the touch ups, and in a moment of impatience (I'm keen to get this done so I can crack on with my Tornado build) I thought I'd try my hand at the mottling. Sprayed some test mottling on an old kit, which went OK, so naturally thought it'd be fine on the 190. How wrong I was! :lol: Think the paint was too thin, so I couldn't get close enough to spray the mottles without the paint spattering all over the place :( So, I've touched the bodged job up and will resort to my original plan and Klear it first before having another go later :)

Alrighty then, after the earlier set back, I've since given the 190 one coat of Klear, in preparation for the mottling, which is now on :D I used the lighter of the two greys as called out by the paint guide and sprayed it a little thicker than earlier with much improved results I think. I sprayed it very lightly and gradually built the mottles up.

DSCF6445.jpg

DSCF6448.jpg

There's absolutely no chance of this being accurate, but I thoroughly enjoyed doing it. I fear I have now fuelled by interest in Luftwaffe aircraft further, so my wallet could be taking a bit of a hammering next year once I start adding some more to the stash :lol:

Comments appreciated as always

Cheers

Shaun,

Considering youre not hanging around with this build, its turning out very nicely indeed, looking forwards to seeing the end result :thumbsup2:

Bex

Thanks very much Bex ^_^

More progress to report and after a few coats of Klear to gloss her up the decals are on. I used the kit ones which weren't the best- some were out of register, they're a bit on the matt side and they haven't conformed too well to the surface detail even with lashings of microsol. Never mind.

DSCF6449.jpg

DSCF6450.jpg

DSCF6451.jpg

I'll seal these in then start looking into getting a panel wash and weathering done

Comments welcomed

Cheers

Cheers chap :) I was the same, but decided to just give it a go. Got a bit of practice in before I went for it on the 190, but once I found the right ratio of paint to thinner, it was easy- just build the mottles up a little bit at a time. I've got the Luftwaffe bug now, and am looking forward to adding a few interesting schemes to the stash :D

Right then, last update for today and the weathering is complete. First, I applied a pastel wash to highlight the panel lines- chose a dark brown pastel for this, which I think works better than a grey one this time. Then, I applied the stains to the underside using black and burnt umber oils, lightly streaked with a cotton bud. And finally, I sprayed the exhaust and gun barrel stains using a thinned black, with a few drops of brown added. May have gone a bit OTT with the weathering, but I quite like it :)

DSCF6453.jpg

DSCF6456.jpg

DSCF6457.jpg

Just need to do a bit of detail painting before a matt coat and final assembly

Thanks for looking

Cheers

May have gone a bit OTT with the weathering, but I quite like it :)

Thanks for looking

Cheers

I wouldnt say that Shaun, besides, it was war time and laying on a bird bath Id assume was the least of that Squadrons worries :smartass:

Bex