Stencils

Nigel Bunker

I have finished painting my Revell 1/72 Typhoon, and i have put on the national and squadron markings.

But my heart sinks at the thought of applying 50 or so stencils to the airframe. My head says it must be done, but my heart says don't bother.

Does anybody else not like all those stencils, or am I the only one?

I found them a bit tedious on the Skyshark I rceently finished, but they're really visible, and bring so much interest to the airframe that I had to put every single one on. You start to get into a production line after a while, and they're soon done. Not looking forward to my first Phantom though, as they're covered in them! :unsure:

50 stencils does seem a lot, but you will notice the difference even if they are virtually invisible individually - its a kind of cumulative affect.

Nah, you're not alone...hate them with a vengeance!...such a pain...I paint mine whenever I can as it seems just so much easier.

I'm about to stencil the RoG F-15E Strike Eagle. Its going to take me hours to get them all on :wacko:

The way I deal with it is to put them on first, then do the larger markings/insignia. Gives you an incentive to get them all on, whereas if you do the larger markings/insignia first you're more likely to go "ah f**k it, it looks fine as it is".