HMS Rodney 1/350th

B turret barbette has been made using the Dremal,

Could you expand a little, please Phil. Did you use it as a lathe to turn the barbette, and if so what did you use for cutting/shaping? I'm watching this with interest as the Airfix Nelson/Rodney may be my next ship model.

Steve.

Could you expand a little, please Phil. Did you use it as a lathe to turn the barbette, and if so what did you use for cutting/shaping? I'm watching this with interest as the Airfix Nelson/Rodney may be my next ship model.

Steve.

Hi Steve,I did use the Dremel as a lathe,and to sand the disc ,I used a piece of coarse wet and dry,glued to a piece of wood( Thats the green thing in the photo).For B turret barbette ,I did two a once,so that they would be identical.During this operation,it is advisable to wear eye protection,as tiny bits of plastic are flying around.Also I used the slowest speed setting,and only did it in short bursts,,so that the plastic wouldn`t overheat,and distort.I gradually used finer grades of WND,after getting the basic shape.I intend to use this to make the 6" barbettes. Bye Phil

My attention has now moved to the back half of the ship.I`ve made a foundation for the structure,and also the 6" barbettes.All seems to fit ,but some trimming will be needed.Because the plan I`m using is a bit vague about the superstructure,I`m having to use the Tamiya kit, when I receive it,to give an idea of the layout.Until this appears,I`m going to make the quarter-deck pom-pom platform.Bye Phil

SL271447.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder

The Tamiya kit has arrived,so I can make a start on the structure,Ive pinned the base of this part,on top of a piece of thinner PK,to a block of wood,and carefully scoring round the outline,I`ll make an exact copy(almost).The 700th part from the kit ,is in the background.

All the 6" barbettes have been completed and attached to the deck.

SL271448.jpg

SL271449.jpg

Phil, have you built the old model of the Vanguard, Frog I think? If so, how accurate is it and what needs correcting?

Hi Perry,

I did build the old Frog(Hasegawa) kit of the Vanguard,for a collector,during my first naval era,!975 To 81.From what I remember it was decidely ropey.Having served on the Vanguard,as her gunnery officer,the collector,wasn`t impressed by the accuracy of the model.He then asked me to scratch-build a 700th model of that vessel ,which I did,and he was very pleased with the result,For this I used a hull of a Tamiya KGV as a basis.I wonder if that would work in 1/350th,now theres an idea....... cheers Phil

In tonights episode of "Home Fleet,and Away"the lower deckhouse has been painted,although,I think the lt gray will need another coat.I`ve made a start on the quarterdeck pom-pom platform,At this time,1942 Rodney was fitted with no less than 44x 2pdr pom-poms(5x8,and 1x4),quite an armament at that time. bye Phil

SL271452.jpg

The aft pom-pom platform is nearly finished ,all that is needed is to paint the deck MS2.I`ve made a start on the conning tower,the circular bit under the platform has been made from a piece of hard wood.When I`m scratch-building,I use anything that comes to hand ,although,I like using plastic best of all.

Bye Phil

SL271454.jpg

SL271456.jpg

Boy Phil she is really coming along nicely there.I p/u the book the other day on the basics of ship building from Kalmback and it showed some of this,a bit out of my grasp for now.Keep up the good work.Kevin

Phil the dealies for the ropes on the aft deck aftermarket?

Edited by jackal

The conning tower deck is now finished,so,I`ve made a start on the armoured conning position,this was made from sheets of 40thou pk ,cemented together to form a solid block of plastic,which I then cut and shaped.Some more work will be needed on this.I`ve also made a start on the engine Room deckhouse,this is quite a busy area supporting the funnel ,and two pom-pom platforms,as well as a lot of other stuff.Hope I can fit it all in!

Bye for Now Phil

SL271457.jpg

SL271459.jpg