HMS Rodney 1/350th

I`ve hit a small snag,Humbrol no longer make No 198,so I`ve had to buy the nearest shade of gray,and try to match it with 198.I think I`ve got near it .

The port side of the hull is now finished,just need to give it a thin coat of kleer, to protect the paint work.I`ve also part-painted the deck.The pattern on the deck is really complicated,I`ve drawn a couple of plans,and I think I`ve got it in my head now. Bye for now Phil

Humbrol 147 is often cited as a match for AP507c.

Joseph

I`ve managed to sort out the deck pattern,it must have designed by Picasso.Rodney was one of the few British Batleships with a camouflaged deck,although some aircraft carriers had patterns on their flight-decks.I used three cardboard circles to show were the turrets are,so that I would have s datum point to work from.Must say I`ve never seen such a weird design.Well, that`s the easy part nearly done.Next step is to get the hull on a board,and then the fun begins.Bye Phil

SL271416.jpg

I needed three anchors,as the ones in the kit are far too small.Luckily John R Haynes now produces 1/350th anchors,that are suitable for Britsh Battleships.I must say that was impressed by them,and they have been fitted to the Rodney,they look the bees-knees.The model has been attached to the base,and next up I`m starting the deck detail.

Bye for now Phil

SL271418.jpg

SL271421.jpg

I needed three anchors,as the ones in the kit are far too small.Luckily John R Haynes now produces 1/350th anchors,that are suitable for Britsh Battleships.I must say that was impressed by them,and they have been fitted to the Rodney,they look the bees-knees.The model has been attached to the base,and next up I`m starting the deck detail.

Bye for now Phil

Those anchors do look good, Phil. I could do with some for my Hood, and I have a KGV as well. Are they expensive?

Tony :clif:

Bye for now Phil

Those anchors do look good, Phil. I could do with some for my Hood, and I have a KGV as well. Are they expensive?

Tony :clif:

[/qu

Hello again Tony,these anchors cost 0.75p each,if you go to the following link:http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23156.You`ll find out more cheerio Phil

I`ve made a start on the deck detail,as usual,I`ve started at the bow.Luckily,some of the parts from the Mini-Hobby kit,can be used,the rest are plastikard(PK).The plan in the British Battleships book has no scale,so what I do is to convert the dimensions of the ship to inches,then measure the plan using millimetres ,then ,using a calculator,divide the number of inches by the number of mm,e.g. beam of the Rodney was 106`X 12=1272" divided by72.5mm= 1mm=17.5".That is the end of the maths lesson. Thank goodness for calculators! Bye Phil

SL271426.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder

I`ve made the break-waters,and moved aft,to add the detail behind it.A start has been made on the 16" turret barbettes.I make these by roughly cutting out a circle of 40thou PK,then placing it in a Dremal drill,and using low speed ,I sand it to a perfect circle.Only takes about 10mins,it looks quite effective.

You know I`m enjoying this,may have to think up more scratch builds! Cheerio Phil

SL271428.jpg

SL271431.jpg

The area forward of A turret,has been detailed.That thing that looks like a pair of seaplane floats,is ,I think ,a balsa-wood raft,Don`t know what it was used for,maybe the captain used it to go water-skiing!

B turret barbette has been made using the Dremal,and the side detail has been added.I`ve just placed it on the deck,for the moment.

Bye Phil

SL271435.jpg

SL271434.jpg

Fantastic Phil,

I love the unique look of the Rodney and Nelson.

Phil could you enlighten as to why this class of battleship had the main armourment positioned forward of the superstructure.

It was also mentioned that they were quite slow ships for thier size is that true?

Hi Pete,thanks for the comment.The reason why these ships had all their main forward,was that they were intended to be 48000 ton monsters,with a speed of 27knots(I think).but because of the Washington Treaty of 1922,they were reduced in size,and speed(33000 tons,23Knots.if you were lucky).As a weight saving measure,all the main armament was grouped together ,so they would need less armoured protection for it.They were nicknamed by the sailors `Rodsol`and `Nelsol`,after an oil tanker firm,whose ships names ended in `sol`.

At the time of the Bismarck hunt,Rodney was badly in need of a refit,and capable of only 20 knots,and leaked like a sieve.Hope this clears a few pionts up. Bye Phil

Edited by Phil Reeder

B turret barbette has been painted and fixed to the deck,all the various fitting have been attached as well.I`ve made C turret barbette,this turret carried the catapult and `Shagbat`.how this aircraft didn`t get blown to bits when the 16" fired,I`ll never know!

Bye Phil

SL271436.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder

I`ve nearly finished the forward part of the main deck,apart from the 16" turrets and some retouching.I plan to make a start on the main superstructure,next.To help me figure out the layout,I`ve ordered a 700th Tamiya Rodney kit.Although this kit depicts a pre-war Rodney,the basic structure remained unaltered through-out the war,At £8 this is a cheaper way than buying plans. Bye Phil

SL271446.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder