HMS Rodney 1/350th

Continuing my builds of the the ships that took part in the hunt for the Bismarck,I decided to try and build one of the heavyweights that finished the Bismarck off- HMS Rodney.As there is no kit in 1/350th available,I have to resort to scratch-building.Luckily,the hull of the King George V class of battleship is very similar,although longer,and slightly narrower in the beam.(Rodney 710`x 106`,KGV 745` x 103`)I bought a cheap Chinese copy of the Tamiya kit of the KGV and set to work with a razor saw,and with a bit of trepidation ,removed 1.2" from the midships section of the hull of the KGV.It worked out well,and I removed the unwanted section,and rejoined the remaining two halves together,although not a perfect fit, the hull matched up well to the dimensions of the Rodney.

Well,I`m off again with another `battleboat`Fingers crossed I hope this works out Bye for now Phil

SL271361.jpg

SL271362.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder

sounds like an interesting project Phil, are you using liquid poly for that join? I would have thought CA would be a much better glue for a join like that ?

Hi Skii.the reason why I didn`t use CA for this joint,was CA never seems to work for me,I usually end up with my fingers stuck somewhere they shouldn`t be,I hate the stuff.As you will see,I strenghtened the joint,with a external plastikard strip.

Because the Rodney`s armoured belt on the hull was internally fitted,and the KGV`s was external,I needed to fix a strip of 30thou PK on top of the armour.This had the additional benefit of widening the beam.The ends were faired in with putty,as were the joints and portholes.I must have used half a tube of body-putty doing this.

Hi Mish,get plenty of beer,and crisps in,this is going to be a long one.

Bye for now Phil.

SL271363.jpg

SL271365.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder

Hi Phil, is that the Mini Hobby Models kit? I built one and the only "gotcha" I found was the lower hull was rather whiffy. May be ok for Rodney though. Good luck with the build.

Tony :clif:

After using nearly all my stock of wet-and-dry,I`ve cleaned up the putty on the hull.I cut out the deck from 30thou PK,and glued it to the hull.As the Rodney had a slightly deeper hull than the KGV,I fixed it to the top of the hull,just to increase the height a shade.The deck needs to be sanded to match the outline.I shall have to buy some more W N D tomorrow!

I`m having a debate with myself,to decide what colour scheme to paint the model.During the Bismarck chase,she was painted overall AP507B med gray,with natural wood decks,however a year later,she had been re-painted in a complex camo pattern,including the decks.I feel I will chose the camo from 1942,as it is a more interesting scheme,Well I can leave that decision til a bit later.

Bye Phil

SL271368.jpg

SL271370.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder

OK,I`ve made my mind up,I`ll do the 1942 Rodney.The hull is finished ,and given a coat of Halfords Red Primer,I`ve completed the boring task of drilling out all the scuttles,The anchors and Prop shafts have been added,next step is mask off the lower hull.

I`ve done a rough colour drawing of the starboard side,using felt-tips,just for me to get my head round the camo-pattern.I having a job working out where the White and light gray,go on the scheme.I`ll figure it out in due course.

Bye for now Phil

SL271373.jpg

Having taken the plunge,and decided to do the camo scheme,I set about,gathering together my paints.The colours I am using are as follows:

MS1-very dark gray ,Citadel Chaos black ,with white added.

MS2-med slate gray-WEM colorcoats

B5-blue-gray,Citadel Codex gray with blue added.

AP507C,Light Gray,Humbrol No198(I had no WEM tins of this left)

White- Citadel Skull White.

The starboard side is nearly done,all that remains is a bit of re-touching,and the black waterline band.I shall be off the air til sunday,as I`ve got somewhere to go tomorrow,now where is it I`ve got to go???

SL271376.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder

Phil,

I have no idea how you do it, but, you make these warships look a doddle and bloody amazing. Looking very good so far Phil :worthy:

Thanks for sharing

Bex

Wouldn't be the KC Stadium would it (ducks rapidly)? Seriously Phil, you keep raising the bar to new levels with your builds. superb stuff.

Thanks Tony .It won`t be the KC stadium,although I`ve been following the Tigers,at a distance, I`ve never visited their ground.I hope they continue to do well.(Arsenal 1 Hull city 2!!!) I can`t believe it.Hope to meet some of you at Telford,have a safe stress-free journey ,All the Best Phil

Edited by Phil Reeder

Phil,

How do you do it, you have four hands or can survive with only 30 minuets sleep a day? From Nov.10th to the 15th you have gone from cutting up a hull to having it painted. Just think of what you’ll be able to do when you are fully retired. I’m impressed. What reference material are you using?

Roge

Phil,

How do you do it, you have four hands or can survive with only 30 minuets sleep a day? From Nov.10th to the 15th you have gone from cutting up a hull to having it painted. Just think of what you’ll be able to do when you are fully retired. I’m impressed. What reference material are you using?

Roge

Hi Roger,

I`m using the "Bible",British Battleships Of WW2,by messers Roberts & Raven.There is an excellent plan of the Rodney 1942 in it .Also I looking at the following site;

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/4433/index.htm

BYE phil

After my flying visit to SMW,I`ve returned to the Rodney,The starboard side is now finished,I must say I`m pleased I decided to do the camouflaged one.I`m having no probs with paint so far,I started by airbrushing the Lt gray,but the other colours I did with a brush,getting quite good with these hairy-sticks.I`ve made a start on the port side.Hope that turns out as well.Bye Phil

SL271410.jpg

Good to meet you yesterday at Telford, Phil, and see that wonderful Hood in the flesh. The Rodney is coming along very well as are Hull City. I watched the game today, great stuff. Looking forward to your next post.

I`ve hit a small snag,Humbrol no longer make No 198,so I`ve had to buy the nearest shade of gray,and try to match it with 198.I think I`ve got near it .

The port side of the hull is now finished,just need to give it a thin coat of kleer, to protect the paint work.I`ve also part-painted the deck.The pattern on the deck is really complicated,I`ve drawn a couple of plans,and I think I`ve got it in my head now. Bye for now Phil

SL271413.jpg