• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Reeder

Phil Reeder

Very Obsessed Member

• Frozen
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:38 PM

Continuing my builds of the the ships that took part in the hunt for the Bismarck,I decided to try and build one of the heavyweights that finished the Bismarck off- HMS Rodney.As there is no kit in 1/350th available,I have to resort to scratch-building.Luckily,the hull of the King George V class of battleship is very similar,although longer,and slightly narrower in the beam.(Rodney 710`x 106`,KGV 745` x 103`)I bought a cheap Chinese copy of the Tamiya kit of the KGV and set to work with a razor saw,and with a bit of trepidation ,removed 1.2" from the midships section of the hull of the KGV.It worked out well,and I removed the unwanted section,and rejoined the remaining two halves together,although not a perfect fit, the hull matched up well to the dimensions of the Rodney.
Well,I`m off again with another `battleboat`Fingers crossed I hope this works out Bye for now Phil

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Phil Reeder, 10 November 2008 - 08:40 PM.

#2 Skii

Skii

muhahahahahahahaha

• Gold Member
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:56 PM

sounds like an interesting project Phil, are you using liquid poly for that join? I would have thought CA would be a much better glue for a join like that ?

#3 Mish

Mish

It's Mike's fault!

• Group Build Moderator
  • 18,946 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:36 PM

Front seat, :popcorn: and :drink: please.

#4 Obi-Jiff Kenobi

Obi-Jiff Kenobi

Some say he believes Star Wars is a documentary...

• Members
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:51 AM

Ooh, this is gonna be a good one. I can feel it in me water.

#5 Phil Reeder

Phil Reeder

Very Obsessed Member

• Frozen
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:00 AM

Hi Skii.the reason why I didn`t use CA for this joint,was CA never seems to work for me,I usually end up with my fingers stuck somewhere they shouldn`t be,I hate the stuff.As you will see,I strenghtened the joint,with a external plastikard strip.
Because the Rodney`s armoured belt on the hull was internally fitted,and the KGV`s was external,I needed to fix a strip of 30thou PK on top of the armour.This had the additional benefit of widening the beam.The ends were faired in with putty,as were the joints and portholes.I must have used half a tube of body-putty doing this.
Hi Mish,get plenty of beer,and crisps in,this is going to be a long one.
Bye for now Phil.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Phil Reeder, 11 November 2008 - 12:57 PM.

#6 avro683

avro683

Heracleum Mantegazziani!

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 03:31 PM

Hi Phil, is that the Mini Hobby Models kit? I built one and the only "gotcha" I found was the lower hull was rather whiffy. May be ok for Rodney though. Good luck with the build.

Tony :clif:

#7 Phil Reeder

Phil Reeder

Very Obsessed Member

• Frozen
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:22 PM

After using nearly all my stock of wet-and-dry,I`ve cleaned up the putty on the hull.I cut out the deck from 30thou PK,and glued it to the hull.As the Rodney had a slightly deeper hull than the KGV,I fixed it to the top of the hull,just to increase the height a shade.The deck needs to be sanded to match the outline.I shall have to buy some more W N D tomorrow!
I`m having a debate with myself,to decide what colour scheme to paint the model.During the Bismarck chase,she was painted overall AP507B med gray,with natural wood decks,however a year later,she had been re-painted in a complex camo pattern,including the decks.I feel I will chose the camo from 1942,as it is a more interesting scheme,Well I can leave that decision til a bit later.
Bye Phil

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Phil Reeder, 11 November 2008 - 08:23 PM.

#8 Phil Reeder

Phil Reeder

Very Obsessed Member

• Frozen
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:29 PM

Just thought you might like to see the camo pattern from 1942,cheers phil

Posted Image

#9 Mish

Mish

It's Mike's fault!

• Group Build Moderator
  • 18,946 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:44 PM

Once again an interesting build Phil

#10 The Hooded Claw

The Hooded Claw

Established Member

• Frozen
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:46 PM

What a shame there is no kit of Rodney. That looks like you'll have your skills tested I shall watch with interest.

THC

#11 JosephLalor

JosephLalor

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:41 PM

I'm interested in seeing how this plays out. I wouldn't envy you the scratchbuilding effort which surely awaits you when it's time to build the superstructure - best of luck!

Joseph

Edited by JosephLalor, 11 November 2008 - 10:42 PM.

#12 Roger Torgeson

Roger Torgeson

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:56 PM

Phil,

It looks like you have made a good start on what should be a very interesting model. Personally I hope you choose to finish Rodney in its camouflage pattern. I know they do require a lot of extra time to paint but when finished it will looks great.

#13 PHaTNesS

PHaTNesS

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:03 PM

:ditto:

What Roger said, looks like a fine project Phil.

#14 Phil Reeder

Phil Reeder

Very Obsessed Member

• Frozen
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:57 PM

OK,I`ve made my mind up,I`ll do the 1942 Rodney.The hull is finished ,and given a coat of Halfords Red Primer,I`ve completed the boring task of drilling out all the scuttles,The anchors and Prop shafts have been added,next step is mask off the lower hull.
I`ve done a rough colour drawing of the starboard side,using felt-tips,just for me to get my head round the camo-pattern.I having a job working out where the White and light gray,go on the scheme.I`ll figure it out in due course.
Bye for now Phil

Posted Image

#15 Phil Reeder

Phil Reeder

Very Obsessed Member

• Frozen
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:56 PM

Having taken the plunge,and decided to do the camo scheme,I set about,gathering together my paints.The colours I am using are as follows:
MS1-very dark gray ,Citadel Chaos black ,with white added.
MS2-med slate gray-WEM colorcoats
B5-blue-gray,Citadel Codex gray with blue added.
AP507C,Light Gray,Humbrol No198(I had no WEM tins of this left)
White- Citadel Skull White.
The starboard side is nearly done,all that remains is a bit of re-touching,and the black waterline band.I shall be off the air til sunday,as I`ve got somewhere to go tomorrow,now where is it I`ve got to go???

Posted Image

Edited by Phil Reeder, 16 November 2008 - 05:32 PM.

#16 Mish

Mish

It's Mike's fault!

• Group Build Moderator
  • 18,946 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:29 PM

Taking shape Phil.

#17 bexwh773

bexwh773

Queen of The Naughty Corner

• Members
  • 5,733 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:38 PM

Phil,

I have no idea how you do it, but, you make these warships look a doddle and bloody amazing. Looking very good so far Phil :worthy:

Thanks for sharing

Bex

#18 avro683

avro683

Heracleum Mantegazziani!

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:46 PM

Wouldn't be the KC Stadium would it (ducks rapidly)? Seriously Phil, you keep raising the bar to new levels with your builds. superb stuff.

#19 Phil Reeder

Phil Reeder

Very Obsessed Member

• Frozen
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:02 PM

Wouldn't be the KC Stadium would it (ducks rapidly)? Seriously Phil, you keep raising the bar to new levels with your builds. superb stuff.

Thanks Tony .It won`t be the KC stadium,although I`ve been following the Tigers,at a distance, I`ve never visited their ground.I hope they continue to do well.(Arsenal 1 Hull city 2!!!) I can`t believe it.Hope to meet some of you at Telford,have a safe stress-free journey ,All the Best Phil

Edited by Phil Reeder, 14 November 2008 - 08:02 PM.

#20 Roger Torgeson

Roger Torgeson

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:09 PM

Phil,

How do you do it, you have four hands or can survive with only 30 minuets sleep a day? From Nov.10th to the 15th you have gone from cutting up a hull to having it painted. Just think of what youíll be able to do when you are fully retired. Iím impressed. What reference material are you using?

Roge