Trumpeter F-100 Super Sabre

Alan P

...but the decals are bit odd, to say the least.

The most fetching bare-metal version of the three provided has a nice red lightning stripe but is marred by a bizarre bit of translation. I believe the stripe should have the legend "THE CORPORATION" on it, but in the Trumpy version it says "THE COHPCRA TIOH". :undecided:

Now, I could be wrong (which is likely on my track record) but is that acceptable for an £80 kit? It effectively renders one third of the decal options unusable.

Otherwise it looks very nice - the usual massive array of rivets, the cockpit and seat and especially instruments look finely detailed and well-represented. The SE Asia coloured variant looks like the best bet, but there is near enough nothing in the way of armament - disappointing after their Mig-29 which seemed to be a well-stocked 1/32 arms depot in itself.

So....Google draws a blank - is anyone aware of any current or prospective aftermarket 1/32 decal sets for this kit?

Al

Give it time Al, I bet Meteor Prods. will launch something for it. I am really impressed with the amount of detail for the engine, it looks fantastic. I'm surprised about it not having many weapons though. I just hope the Intruder comes with 30 MK.82s

Joel

Given this kit has been due for quite some time I think there should be a few sheets imminent.

Shame about the spelling mistake, seems to be becoming a bit of a habit with them.

Given that Revell could punt out a 32nd Hunter for less than half that I fail to understand why so much stuff is made in China to cut costs :unsure:

Spada decals do some nice French schemes. They sponsor the LSP site. Lots of debate on LSP about Trumpeter prices too. I think its Stevens who make the big profit rather than Trumpeter.

let's not mention the price....£80!! :analintruder:

methinks hobby shops in UK are out to rip joe public

Whoever it might be, it isn't the shops; I've seen the order form, from the wholesaler, and the %age mark-up, for the retailer, is exactly the same as all other manufacturers' (including Trumpeter) kits.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

how many shops have closed lately....with the economic climate as such, most i know are struggling to survive.... :violin:

seriously they all get my sympathy

Agreed 100% It seems that to a great extent the model shops are suffering from price fixing by the importers, who have them by the short & curlies, as they're usually the sole source of a particualr manufacturer's kits in the country.

Well, call me cynical, but I get most of my kits from abroad now. I can get most Trumpy 1/32 kits (Flanker, A-7, F-105) for £30-40 from China, but I can only bring back one at a time before customs get suspicious!

On that note, Dragon 1/35 armour is about £8-10, Trumpy 1/35 Armour is about £5, but all the Jap/Korean stuff is just about the same price as Europe, so it shows the mark-up for imports is constant wherever you are.

I do feel guilty about not home-sourcing this stuff, but as there are next to no indigenous, mass-market, injection mould model manufacturers, everything is imported, so everyone down the chain (including our beloved government) has to get their cut and we get to pay for it.

On the other hand, we have the advantage in the UK of having probably the best aftermarket products in the world, as well as the best paints, which the rest of the Universe has to pay for beyond our shores. So it's the rough with the smooth i guess......

Al

Shame about the decals, they do always seem to let themselves down on their big kits. Of the 2 I have, the 1/24 Spit has white rather than sky bands & codes, and the 1/32 SBD needs new roundels cos the stars are smaller than the blue background.

For such expensive kits it is frustrating, but even then, you do get a lot for your money.

Meteor Productions put-out a very detailed questionaire to a selection of their customers regarding possible decal sheets for the 'Hun' a few months back. Although I have no great love of the F-100, some of the options they were suggestng were absolutely stunning, falling into (rough) categories such as 'colourful NMF', 'colourful Aluminium finishes' and 'Camouflaged Huns'.

I would respectfully suggest that you hold-tight and wait to see what Dave Kraus comes-up with. (This is what I'm doing for the new 1:32 P-47).

Ian

let's not mention the price....£80!! :analintruder:

methinks hobby shops in UK are out to rip joe public

That remark is offensive!

Hobby shops in the UK DON'T set the prices, they are set far higher up the chain!

WE are most certainly NOT out to rip you or anyone else off!

That remark is offensive!

Hobby shops in the UK DON'T set the prices, they are set far higher up the chain!

WE are most certainly NOT out to rip you or anyone else off!

I can vouch for Bill certainly not wanting to rip anyone off. I think MM didn't mean any harm though, but was perhaps speaking from lack of knowledge on the subject (who doesn't sometimes? :blush: ). I have an idea how little profit there is in being a LMS, and Bill and the others that are soldiering on have my undying gratitude, which is why Big H don't see any of my modelling pennies anymore :innocent:

Don't take offence Bill, MM's alreet... ;)

I want one, it has the same markings as the 2002 Monogram release, 31stTFW gunnery meet, but in 1/32. I will order from my LMS, he's a good guy and can order anything I want. (Usually pointy and made in the Far East) As far as price goes, you get what you pay for, loads of details and parts and nice big model of a good looking aircraft. Over the past few years, we have seen some fantastic releases in 1/32, mainly with a lot of help from Trumpeter, and long may it continue.

Joel

Got to agree with Bill, the shop doesn't make the price there has been a pretty consistent mark up on plastic kits for as many years as I have worked in shops. The importers take into account the cost to them from the manufacturer and the shipping to this country then they have to have a warehouse cause it don't come in as small parcels it is normally a 40 ft container. Now comes his mark up and the cost of distribution then there is that killer called VAT, all this before you see it in the shop, I still think that they could be cheaper trumpeter was very cheap when it first arrived but not now, perhaps the Chinese have realised how much we will pay for the product.

Ted

trumpeter was very cheap when it first arrived but not now, perhaps the Chinese have realised how much we will pay for the product.

Ted

I suppose you could argue that their tooling have got more complex & therefore more expensive? Just a thought...