Subaru WRT Service truck

Rallychef

When I returned to model building some two years ago (after some 30 year break) I treated myself to the Subaru World Rally Team service truck & trailer, for Christmas (2006). Unfortunately my modelling aspirations were much greater than my skills; I made a real mess of the trailer paintjob and some of the build so it went up into the loft.

Now some two years on with a bit more practice and some excellent advice from forums tips and members, we shall have a go at rescuing it.

Now we need to get this dusty pile of plastic

T189Images_0120.jpg

looking a bit more like this

scania.jpg

lots of prep to start tomorrow, wish me luck.

Regards Ian D.

Edited by Rallychef

Wow, all sorts coming out of the woodwork for this GB!

Only looking at the second picture did I realise the big blue thing in the back-gound of the first is the trailer body!

Look forwards to seeing this one finished.

Finally got the courage to make a restart. The panels of the workshop trailer have hade a dose of Mr Muscle & a couple of half days sanding to get back to a workable surface, primed and set aside.

The tractor chassis was badly warped, a combination of poor build and bad storage, so with some advice from Diesel Donkey (thanks Dave) this has been rectified.

The progress so far,

IMG_1024.jpg

I have also assembled the trailer bed & Chassis.

IMG_1023.jpg

Tractor & trailer unit together, the finished modell is around 80 cm long ~ may need a bigger workbench.

IMG_1022.jpg

Anyway that’s the progress so far, I think I feel more comfortable with the build now, time will tell.

Regards Ian D.

Some more information for those technical bods out there, the tractor unit is a Scania 113M, now retired from the WRC, but still used to haul the Test team around and although quite an old unit, didn't do a lot of work compared to its usual haulage brothers ,as it would drive to a test site and be parked up for a few days during the test.

The workshop unit also has a mobile office compartment and doubles up as a transporter also, it has a rear tail lift to load/unload cars ( it can carry two test cars), which park on the workbench units while in transport. Enough waffle now , back to the buld

Regards Ian D.

Some major progress today with the tractor unit, finished assembling the engine and gave it a dark colour wash, never attempted this before but thought as the engine isn't see on the finished model, I would give it a go, looks ok but I think more practice is needed. (If anybody has any usefull links or advice on this technique, it would be much appreciated)

Much of the chassis assembly is complete, quite pleased with the progress so far,

T189Images_0125.jpg

T189Images_0124.jpg

T189Images_0123.jpg

off to Keswick tomorrow, (Mrs has a hospital appointment), so I will visit the model shop and aquire the relevent paints for the Tractor cab & workshop trailer, working over the weekend, recce for the Roger Albert Clark Memorial Rally, so no build update til Mon.

Regards Ian D.

• 2 weeks later...

More progress made today, interior put together, a clipboard made out of plasticaed & fuse wire, images produced for maps & newspaper etc, laptop & case from the tamyia rally mechanics set, Screen on laptop produced on my laptop & print screen then reduced to size (Truckie always had an image of this pride & joy as his screensaver!)

IMG_1049.jpg

more later

Regards Ian D.

many thanks for your kind comments, I'm enjoying the build a lot more than the first time round, truck building is an area i hope to do more of in the future.

The cab and other assorted fairings have been painted and allowed to cure for a few days, yesterday I got the window frames/rubbers painted , so today we may get the tractor unit assembled

IMG_1058-1.jpg

More later,

regards Ian D.

Excellent Ian. :thumbsup2:

You don’t see many Streamliners around these days so it’s good to see one here.

You got the warped chassis sorted, with all four wheels are on the ground you'd never know you had problems.

It’s a nice looking tractor mate, you've done her proud.

Propper job

:speak_cool:

• 1 month later...

Well it's not quite worked out, the masking tape has lifted the silver paint off the workshop trailer, so it's not going to be finished in time . i will put the tractor unit in the gallery however .

Not quite a big enough 'Kick'

Regards Ian D.