British Power Boat MA-SB

Al Gunthwaite

Well it looks like I'm committed (or perhaps that I should be).

I started this project nearly three years ago (it was started as a contribution to a PT boat group build on another site). It's based upon an article in Airfix Mag in September 1980 converting the RAF Rescue Launch to a Motor Anti-Submarine Boat. The drawings in the article were copied onto sticky lablels which were then applied to plasticard to cut out the relevant bits. The new deck for the boat shown in the photos still has the label applied. The superstructure on the boat has been fabricated from plasticard. The project grounded to a halt because I couldn't find any aftermarket Vickers 0.5 MGs for the turret (stupid because it would probably only have taken me a couple of hours to scratchbuild a pair). I also became distracted producing my figures.

Anyway, it's an opportune time for me to finish it.

MASB37Oct064.jpg

MASB37Oct063.jpg

Al

Edited by Al Gunthwaite

• 3 weeks later...

I seriously thought I get a hour or so today to make some decent progress. But it was a bit of a false hope. Anyway, some progress has been made on the Vickers MG front for the turret - a very nice resin casting has found its way to me. However, I'm going to have to alter the construction of the turret so that the ammo cans are mounted so they are fixed to the top of the turret (a bit like the real thing really).

Also I don't think there's any prospect of getting the sea base finished as well as the boat - so that will be put to one side for later.

Al

• 3 weeks later...

Huzzah!

Progress is being made...

The Vickers MGs for the turret/barbette have been modified and detailed (just a bit) and the sub-assembly for the guns should be finished this evening (made but not painted - that would be too rash).

I shall attempt to post pictures this weekend.

Al

Pics of the Twin Vickers 0.5" MGs...

As I noted above a very nice resin casting found its way to me. A few alterations and a bit of extra detailing has been done. The gunner's shield has been removed (it sat between the MGs); Eduard PE 0.5" ammo belts have been added; the flash supressors on the barrels have been drilled out (I'm very pleased to have done that without breaking the barrels off!) and the linkage between the barrels has been added.

A bit of extra work needs to be done before it can be painted and fitted - a bit more detailing on the roller guides for the ammo; gun-sights need to be added; some elevating rams for the guns need to be added together with a training motor.

MASBVickers7.jpg

MASBVickers9.jpg

So now attention needs to be directed to the wheelhouse and deck.

Al