Albatros D.Va

Something I've been working on and off for a couple of weeks now. I was very inspired by Rowans Recent Roland build and had a bash at this Eduard 1/48 kit. It's the original issue I understand which came with photo etched cabane struts. These proved a nightmare due to their propensity to bend at the slightest provocation, Rowan tells me these were replaced with plastic items in more recent kits. I've cut the front out of the nose as the Albatros' spinner didn't quite fill the space it being slightly narrower in diameter to let air through to cool the engine. I've also added some engine pipework, extended the undercarriage with brass 'Strutz' and added some scratchbuilt extras and the rigging is from fishing line. I have almost finished the rigging before painting on purpose as I feel quite comfortable I can reach all areas with my airbrush on this aircraft.

I feel it's always good to step out of your comfort zone and I learnt some good lessons from the build. No idea on colours yet!

AlbatrosDV1.jpg

AlbatrosDV2.jpg

Andy

Edited by Tigerausfb

Thanks for all the comments gents :) I had great fun building and learning about Albatri.

As for painting after assembly I honestly don't see any issues at all as the aircraft depicted in the kit is in a rather simple scheme really with green/mauve on the wings. The rigging on the Albatros leaves quite open spaces to work an airbrush in and I left the nose to wing wire off for now for this reason.

Cheers- Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to lay some paint down over the last couple of days on my Albatros. I have to hold my hands up and admit I've no idea how accurate the wing colours are as I mixed them from Vallejo based on my impressions of some Albatros fabric samples shown on the Aerodrome forum. I also mixed a Pfalz Silbergrau. The green could also be way out on the tail but I would imagine no-one else has unequivocal proof of the actual shade on v.Hippels machine either. I also noticed the kits colour profile has the mauve and green reversed to that shown in the Windsock Jasta 5 Vol. 2 title (.....I think it's the same machine??). I went for the Windsock.

DSCF2589.jpg

DSCF2591.jpg

I did some wood grain on the prop early on but since noticed some Albatri have very delineated laminated props, unlike the Bristol Fighter remnant I have??

DSCF2588.jpg

I set out to paint the red striping after oggling Beatrice Rosens très magnifique cleavage on 'Sharpe' last night. Day-dreaming about Madame Rosens assets notwithstanding, 20 mins later it turned out reasonably well.

DSCF2598.jpg

Thanks for looking anyway :)

Andy

Hello Andy,

That is coming on nicely. Did you paint the red tail outline freehand???? If so you have a real talent for it, I could never dream of trying that - a lifetime of alcohol abuse, you see....

You've also managed to paint round the rigging pretty well and with your steadyness of hand, touching up the wires should hold no terrors for you! I've always had a soft spot for the "Boistrancourt Boys", I even visited the site of the airfield a couple of years ago. Apart from the lack of hangars (and of course, aircraft!) it has hardly changed in 90 years - very atmospheric! You can find it on Google Earth at 50° 8'51.09"N, 3°20'42.09"E right on the N43 from Cambrai.

The Windsock Datafile Specials on Jasta 5 are excellent - if you haven't already seen them, of course! From there I can tell you that von Hippel flew at least four blitz marked Albatrosse, three of which had lozenge covered wings, only one, his third (he crashed a lot! in fact the painting on the cover of vol 2 shows an amusing painting of him about to smash up one...), had entirely painted mauve/green/ blue wings. It's likely serial number was 4629/17, a DV not a DVa. The only visible difference, incidently, between the DV and Va was the aileron actuating mechanism shrouds above and below the upper wing - a minor point but its not too late to add them if you wanted and delete the wire running from the lower wing to the aileron! I regret not buying the totally comprehensive Americal transfer sheet (done by the book's author, GK Merrill) when it was produced but I have the Eduard Jasta 5 issue of the D V, so I'll be doing at least a couple. There's a chap called Dwayne Williams on Aeroscale who's done half a dozen!

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=...8383&page=1

Looking forward to seeing more of Albert soon!

Thanks for the comments :)

Rowan, yes handpainted, No.3 brush and thinned Vallejo. Well I've had a lifetime of self-abuse but luckily I still have steady hand :) I always move the surface and not the brush so I'm painting as straight lines as possible. Rotation of the wrist is kept as minimal as possible.

Yep, he was an accident prone pilot wasn't he?! Thanks for pointing out the difference in his machines though as I was following the kit instructions which are obviously wrong. I've just folded the shrouds and will add them tonight. Hopefully I can match the paint up to the decals and repair the deleted aileron control wires. It's certainly been an enjoyable learning curve for me. History and modelling. Perfect.

That's an excellent display on the Aeroscale forum, I'll probably do a Dr.I next and return to more Alberts once I've learnt about them a little more.

I'd love to have a tour of the French and Belgian battlefields, always planned to do it one day. My great-grandfather was nobbled at Passion Dale in 1917 (17th of this month actually) and I've always wanted to visit his resting place at Tyne Cot - though I gather there wasn't anything left of him to 'rest' as such.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

The First World War, as everyone knows, was fought in black and white as human beings only developed colour vision in 1923.

AlbatrosDV8.jpg

AlbatrosDV4.jpg

AlbatrosDV3.jpg

Finished this one at last. Though I made quite a few novice errors along the way I had an enjoyable time building it. Many thanks to Rowan for his kind advice.

I've kept the weathering to a minimum and only used tiny dots of white, naples yellow and green oil paint brushed out on the wing and tailplane ribs to define them a little. Also a little definition of the panel lines around the engine and a little cheeeeeeeping around the red band on the forward engine panel.

AlbatrosDV5.jpg

AlbatrosDV9.jpg

AlbatrosDV6.jpg

and I've just noticed from the photos Mr. Potatohead here has forgotten to add the underwing cross.... :banghead:

Andy

Great build Andy :thumbsup:

I'm always in awe of the high quality you WW1 types can achieve with your builds, really top drawer stuff and something I can hopefully achieve myself someday.

:goodjob:

Thanks for all the most gracious comments.

Shaun I don't know if I can be classified as a WWI type just yet....it's only the second aeroplane I've completed after a long break from things with wings. I've always liked biplanes though. Just trying to get myself back up to speed really and I wish I had your skills with an airbrush.

Rowan, the new-ish Eduard Fokker Dr.I is on the table, I'll start a WIP when I have something to show. How's the Soppy Pupwith coming along?

Reeespeck - Andy