1/32 Hasegawa Messerschmitt Me 109E

fatty

So this is what the Wingy thingy section looks like..... ;)

Some of you may already know me for figures, cars and anything Wallace and Gromit.

But back in April I bought this:

th_me.jpg

Its a 1/32 Hasegawa Messerschmitt Me 109E, now Ive never done planes before as Ive never found them too be interesting to me.

Now what drew me to this was when I was a child I had two Matchbox die cast planes, one was a Spitfire and the other was a Me109, now the Me109 was in these colours:

th_Bf109Tom2006.jpg

and for some reason I always liked the look of the Me 109 with the yellow nose over the Spit. :-/

So the plan is the paint this Hasegawa Messerschmitt in the colours of the above. Now after buying this book at a recent show (and Nick you were right it is the wrong book "F-K variants") I can see now that there are so many colour scemes for different squadrens bla bla bla etc etc etc.....

Now Im not one for complete accuracy and Im sure there are many people out there will point out that the colours are wrong or the intakes are incorect, this is wrong and so is that for the model but all I intend to do is paint this up how I remeber it as a child.

What I would like though is if anyone has any good colour detail shots of the engine, as I would like to make it realistic even though its incorrect if you know what I mean :D

Hope you enjoy this build as much as Im looking forward to building it.

Paul. ;)

Thats it for tonight.

Engine mounted to sub-frame and cock-pit frame with machine guns, more detail to add to these bits.

Mister,

You're doing a lot of nice work to it :) Couldn't quite understand your original post though: the aircraft's an 'E' and the kit's an E/trop - just the intake & spinner are different isn't it?

BTW the RB etch canopy (out of himself or MDC) is designed for the Hase 109's. Piece of art, if you're into that kind of thing...

Mister,

You're doing a lot of nice work to it :) Couldn't quite understand your original post though: the aircraft's an 'E' and the kit's an E/trop - just the intake & spinner are different isn't it?

BTW the RB etch canopy (out of himself or MDC) is designed for the Hase 109's. Piece of art, if you're into that kind of thing...

Looking at the de-struction's there are:

2 types of nose intakes

4 types of nose cones

2 types of canopies

bomb or tank option depending on model

2 types of wing mounted canon

6 types of group markings

:please:

Ok then here are the options below of what models i can build:

E1

E3

E4

E5

E6

E7

E8

Which one is the one in my picture?

:huh:

Looking at the de-struction's there are:

2 types of nose intakes

4 types of nose cones

2 types of canopies

bomb or tank option depending on model

2 types of wing mounted canon

6 types of group markings

:please:

Ok then here are the options below of what models i can build:

E1

E3

E4

E5

E6

E7

E8

Which one is the one in my picture?

:huh:

Mister,

Usual caveats - I am a relative newbie on this subject, and do not claim to be definitive (for this can I recommend sources such as the excellent Lynn Ritger's 109 Lair?) Am interested in 109's, but still very definitely taking first steps.

However: Isn't the 109E in your pic one there's some very good pics of, on www.airliners.net? I think CF-EML is the bird, photographer is Mark Kryst, type is E-4 so square canopy/no visible ETC bomb rack under the pilot/open nose cone/the shorter 'normal' supercharger intake.

FWIW the 109 got heavier armour as things warmed up: http://www.hyperscale.com/reviews/accessor...4reviewbg_1.htm is a good pic showing the frontal armour. Your subject hasn't got it, if it's the one I think.

Types - to paraphrase Jerry Scutts' "Combat Legend":

The E-1 is (IIUC) earlier (rounded) canopy and machine guns in the wings.

E-1B got a bomb rack (various types) and MG-FF cannon (earlier canopy)

E-3 had heavier canopy (the square one) and MG-FF's. Some had the longer (tropical) intake, some had the rounded prop spinner.

E-4 had even heavier canopy and MG-FF/M cannon. E-4/BN got the tweaked DB601N engine. The E-4 got the ETC bomb rack as an option (for the Jabo - fighter bomber - version)

E-5 was the photo recon version with the radio (accessed via hatch, half way down the port side of the fuselage) replaced with single camera

E-6 (or at least E-6/N) was like an E-5 but 2 cameras fitted.

E-7 let the owners bolt a drop tank off the bomb rack. Various versions including the E-7/B extended range fighter bomber, E-7N same with high pressure oxygen system, E-7/Z same with DB601N and GM-1 nitrous boost.

Various factory option kits available (E-7/U* types.)

E-8 is the extended range version with a DB601A ('based on the E-1 but similar fit to the E-7')

HTH - Patrick

Well it looks like im gonna have some masking to do.....

The engine can only be fitted as ther two halfs of the fuselarge are put together....

The fuselarge will need plenty of filling too, so the upmost care is going to be needed.....

Thats i t for tonight, let the glue dry for a few days before anything else is done.

th_me16.jpg

th_me17.jpg

looks good...

did it ever get finished?

Not yet old son... had a problem with one of the fuselages rolling out, so some surgery was required. That's done now & I just need to tidy up the damage ;)