1/48 B-58 Hustler

Alan P

Al , I strongly suggest you fix engines on first as there is a noticable fit problem around the join of the inner pylons to the wing ' stubs' which is a beast to fix later , I know I tried !!! The weapons pod is also a mare and needs blending first as the real deal is a super flush fit to the fuselage.....good luck.

Looking good so far :thumbsup2:

Andy

Edited by general melchett

Notdoneyet said:
Re the engine and weapons pods, I'd attach them before painting and do any filling & sanding on them before painting. Doing it the other way risks a large respray if major remedial work is required on the fit of the pylons/pods.
Mish said:
nice work Al, normally I would leave the engines till after spraying but if the fit is bad I would get them fitted now, make good the joins and then spray the whole lot. More hastle when spraying I know.
Mike said:
How about this for an idea Al? Put some Tamiya tape on the joins for the pylons, tack them on, and fill accordingly. You should then be able to fettle them to such as state as they'll be a drop-fit... Then you can paint them separately? Just a thought :shrug:
general melchett said:
Al , I strongly suggest you fix engines on first as there is a noticable fit problem around the join of the inner pylons to the wing ' stubs' which is a beast to fix later , I know I tried !!! The weapons pod is also a mare and needs blending first as the real deal is a super flush fit to the fuselage.....good luck.

Looking good so far :thumbsup2:

Thanks for the input folks, your help is appreciated!

Did a bit of a combination of ideas - I painted the pod & engines, then masked up to the edge of the pylon. I will then fit the pod, blend it in with zero-sanding technique (superglue, putty and nail varnish remover - it works!) then paint it, remove the masks and VOILA! triumph or disaster! If it works I'll do the same with the engines, then I can paint the rest of the bird.

A little preview - I'll try some more with better lighting later so you can see the different tones - top stuff this Alclad!

tn_DSCN2680

tn_DSCN2681
leader3 said:
so is it going to be ready for monday night!!!!!

:rofl: maybe the february one!

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1

Well, the dangly bits are on and faired in. Another shot of gloss black and fingers crossed it's time for the Polished Aluminium... :pray:

tn_DSCN2683

The engine pod pylon-to-wing fit was pretty bad - a couple of minutes attack with the Dremel, white stuff and nail polish remover and the miracle occurs!

tn_DSCN2687

Time to get cracking on the wheels now - only 18 of the beggars... :banghead:

Cheers for the advice earlier, it all makes sense now!

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1

Thanks but i've hit another snag.....

I managed to lose another fairly important part - one of the main gear wheel bogies :doh:

I've had a look but no sign of the little beggar - it ran away from the sprue and this time i've checked all the layers of sandpaper within 2 feet of the box :lol: and it's nowhere to be found.

Can anyone help with any of the following possibilities:

1) Are Revell any good at providing replacement parts? Are they contactable through the website or is there a dedicated address, secret handshake or whatever?

2) I've got one left if anyone fancies a very short run of casting??

3) Anyone built / building / planning to build one with wheels up and has a spare set of landing gear?

Al-the-rather-crestfallen-with-wind-knocked-out-of-his-sails-and-this-build-had-better-be-bleeding-worth-it-etc-etc

:raincloud:

Edited by PHaTNesS

Quick preview - Alclad Polished Aluminium, White Aluminium and Duraluminium. Went on very well, my best result with Alclad so far.

tn_DSCN2688

tn_DSCN2689

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 2

Hi, sorry to hear about your "lost part". If you can't find it you can contact Revell trough [email protected]. I was in dire need of a replacement part for the upcoming Nationals, so I just gave them a call instead of an e-mail, and explained my problem in my rusty school german. Took about a week IIRC for it to arrive. Anyway I hope it doesn't get to that but my impression of the company was positive. Anyway as you already know +2 feet isn't that long a distance for a part to travel anyways. I suppose that you tried the ordinary methods of finding it, by using a flashlight (shadow reveals its location) and/or sweeping the floor with a ruler. If the damn thing is on the floor and if you haven't found it by conventional methods, bring out the vacum cleaner and attach a pantyhose to the tube and start "cleaning" Have worked wonders for me on a couple of occations. The up side of this method is that one can sweep large areas in a rather small amount of time.

As for you bomber, I really do like what I see, to say the least :thumbsup2: The Alclad looks top notch on it. A question though. The "white stuff" you mentioned in previous post regarding the hickup with the engine nacelles, what is it? Anyway I sure hope you will manage to finish this bird without further major problems, since IMHO you have potential stunner on your table/ "approach" and it would be great shame if you gave up on her :)

Thank God* I found the little beggar of a wheel bogie! Full steam ahead!

(*With many thanks to Goran and my old friend daylight)

Edited by Alan P

Good save. Helpful tip, leave the modelling room turning off the lights, make a "walking away" noise, wait a minute then spring back in throwing your light switch. You'll undoubtedly catch all those bits as they come out for a chat and a bit of a larf, pesky models.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the support / top tips! I have been able to finish off the main painting of the beast. Oi reckon it be ready for decals!*

Apologies for the lighting - it suits the camera to get the contrasting panel effects, but to get the full SHINY effect, I'll have a go under some natural light tomorrow (unless I get called out to fly somewhere)

Masking all removed - nose cone, sensor fairings and walkways are now black.

tn_DSCN2693

For periklis - there are actually six different shades of Alclad on this - the main colour is Polished Aluminium, the wing fairings are White Aluminium, the rear-most wing panels are Duraluminium. The rear of the fuselage is Dark Aluminium and Magnesium, and if you have a hi-res monitor you can make out my attempt at the stressed-skin look - I just airbrushed Alclad Steel very lightly in several passes over the base colours. All the different areas needed to be masked before respraying - I got through a lot of Tamiya tape!

tn_DSCN2696

The bottom is Gunze Mr Metal Color Chrome Silver, oversprayed lightly with Alclad Polished Aluminium to seal it. The contrasting panels are Alclad Steel and Duraluminium. The TCP pod is Polished Aluminium at the back, Mr Metal Color Aluminium at the front, rubbed with SnJ Aluminium polishing powder as it was drying.

tn_DSCN2697

The engine pods are Polished Aluminium at the front, and at the rear, I picked out some panels in Mr Metal Color Stainless, then sprayed several coats of Alclad Jet Exhaust to get the contrasting stripes. I masked off the edges and sprayed Alclad Pale Burnt Metal along the masked edges to define the different panels.

tn_DSCN2695

I must have blown about £20's worth of paint on this, and for the first time EVER the result matched the mental picture in my head before I started. For me, that's no small thing and i'm well proud of this finish!

* DECALS - do you need to varnish over Alclad, or can I just decal straight on to it? I'd welcome any top tips on this - don't want to blow it at the last!

Cheers for looking,

:cheers:

Al

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1

Glad you found the lost part :) No varnish is necessary over the Alclad for the decals to snug down properly. If varnish is applied it will alter the finish/shine and thus IMO ruin the BMF appearance. And speaking if decals I never enctountered any problems with the Micro Set and Micro Sol systems either.

Al my friend, that is one stunning paint job :wub:

Every time I use Alclad, something goes horribly wrong. I've also found in the past that it lift with the masking tape, something that you obviously haven;t had a problem with, so not sure why that happens to me :hmmm: So I'd be grateful for any tips you may have, you certainly seem to know what you're doing :D

Can't wait to see the beast finished now :popcorn: