Airliners at Luton

BAC

I do like your collection!

Here's a couple of ideas for expansion if you need any further inspiration:

perhaps a -700 Easyjet B737 (I think all the nasty -300s are gone now)

and the BA England football team charter B777-200 that operates from Luton.

Al

• 2 months later...
where do you get some of those decals from or are they home made?

The Monarch Bristol Britannia (Welshmodels) and the Helvetic Fokker100 (Revell) are out of box. all the others are Airfix/Revell/Minicraft with aftermarket decals all from Hannants except the Monarch A321 (G-OJEG) which I bought from the Airline Hobby Shop in Holland.

Thanks for all the comments guys!

I particularly like the Britannia. I remember watching them fly over the school playground at lunchtimes, back when i was a kid!

I've spent far too much time at Luton Airport just recently, and will be there again next weekend (flying to Glasgow for the weekend).

Nice work!

I spend far too much time there too.

Then again I get paid to be there!!

:pilot:

I particularly like the Britannia. I remember watching them fly over the school playground at lunchtimes, back when i was a kid!

I've spent far too much time at Luton Airport just recently, and will be there again next weekend (flying to Glasgow for the weekend).

Nice work!

What school were you at? Whereabouts in Beds are you now? Quite a few bedfordshire people in here.

That Wizzair bird reminds me of Braniff (all who remember that one take a bow) You never knew what color the next Braniff airliner was going to be. :lol::lol: I wish had $100 for every litre of paint used to cover the whole surface on a 747. Ok so they don't paint the wings; the fuselage will do quite nicely.

Edited by Darkflyer

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Here's the latest addition to the collection.

Airfix's B737 with a set of F-DCAL 'Britannia Airways' decals. This was built as part of the GB on the ATF.

314570942.jpg

314570943.jpg

314570948.jpg

314570952.jpg

314570954.jpg

314570946.jpg

Cheers!

Great work there. Glad there is another civil modeller on the site.

How did you find the application of the F-DCAL sheet? I've got the same sheet, but only used screen print decals up to now.

I flew on my first foreign holiday in that particular 737-200, G-AVRM-Manchester to Majorca and G-AVRO on the return back in 1972.

Thanks for posting.

Chris.

Keefr22;

My Welshmodels Britannia was the cheaper version, the one with vac formed wings rather than the dearer pressure molded ones. It went together okay-ish. The main problems was the lower half of one engine was much smaller than the top, so I had to build it up with Milliput and make 'round'. Also the point at the tail was mismolded so again I had to use Milliput and make a new tail cone. The moldings were also quite thick so it took a while to sand them down. Other than that it was a typical vac form with all the extra work needed with them.

Stringbag;

If I'm honest I wasn't too impressed with F-DCAL's decals. Thy needed a coat of varnish over the top, I used Micro Gloss as per the instructions. The first coat beaded a little so I had to do about three coats to cover. Once dry this became brittle so I had to cut around each decal very carefully without bending the sheet. Otherwise the varnish may have cracked off.

The colours were thin but as they were going on a white surface this didn't cause too much of a problem.

Once dipped in water the decals became fragile and they did break up in one or two places. I had to touch up the cheatlines with a little blue and red paint.

Overall I was dissapointed with these decals. F-Dcal do some unusual and unique subjects but next time I'll be more aware of them. I've got a set of Concorde prototype and 737-300 BA 'Whale Rider' to use in the future.

I have found 'Two-Six' and 'S&M' airliner decals to be better.

Thanks for the comments!

Keefr22;

My Welshmodels Britannia was the cheaper version, the one with vac formed wings rather than the dearer pressure molded ones. It went together okay-ish. The main problems was the lower half of one engine was much smaller than the top, so I had to build it up with Milliput and make 'round'. Also the point at the tail was mismolded so again I had to use Milliput and make a new tail cone. The moldings were also quite thick so it took a while to sand them down. Other than that it was a typical vac form with all the extra work needed with them.

Thanks for the tips BAC. I'm a cheapskate, so it's the cheaper all-vac kit that I have!!

Keef

Stringbag;

Overall I was dissapointed with these decals. F-Dcal do some unusual and unique subjects but next time I'll be more aware of them. I've got a set of Concorde prototype and 737-300 BA 'Whale Rider' to use in the future.

I have found 'Two-Six' and 'S&M' airliner decals to be better.

Thanks for the comments!

Thanks for the info. I have the Two-Six decals as well with rhe slightly later scheme so I will probably try those.

I'm trying to figure out a way of converting the Daco 737-300 into the 200adv version using the Braz engines. Stay tuned.

Chris.

Thanks for the info. I have the Two-Six decals as well with rhe slightly later scheme so I will probably try those.

I'm trying to figure out a way of converting the Daco 737-300 into the 200adv version using the Braz engines. Stay tuned.

Chris.

Is there something different with the height of the fin between a -300 & -200 ?? (apologies if you already know that - & also if its totally duff info!! It's just there was a thread on that subject on the Yahoo Airliner Modelling Group last year & a difference in the fin rings a bell!)

Keef

Yes, they are different.

Here's a -200 series...

http://www.airliners.net/photo/European-Ai...-Adv/1342392/L/

compared to a -300...

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-Slovaki...-3Z9/1346731/L/

The -300 has the dorsal fin added. Apart form the hinge arrangement I think they are about the same size.

I know the -700 (and -800?) have taller tails and they were noticeable when easyJet parked their old -300's next to the -700's.

Cheers!

I know the -700 (and -800?) have taller tails and they were noticeable when easyJet parked their old -300's next to the -700's.

Cheers!

Ah, perhaps it was the new-gen tails I was thinking of then....!!

Keef

The -300 has the dorsal fin added. Apart form the hinge arrangement I think they are about the same size.

Cheers!

You've got it, NG aircraft have the taller fin.

There are differences between the 200 and 300, but these are easily sorted.

I will have to get some drawings done to show the differences, but as and when this happens goodness knows.

I'll start a new thread when I start.

Must finish the Tu-154, 1-11 and A300 first.

Chris.