Where did I go wrong?

Deon

Hi there,

I thunk there must be something major wrong with this model..

Can anyone tell me what it is? perhaps the colour or something else obvious that Ive missed?

Cheers for your help as Ive got another to do and I want to get that one right!

Italeri 1/72 Do217 ?

do2174.jpg

do2173.jpg

do2172.jpg

do2171.jpg

Deon - I feel i must be the bearer of sad news.... :raincloud:

... I'm afraid looks as though you have successfully built this model !!! I realise this will come as a blow, but , face it like man old chap :pipe: and build another one!!

In all honesty that looks like a very good build, nice attention to detail, nice use of a slightly different colour on the cowlings - adds a bit of interest to a montone scheme. Neat masking of the canopies and some subtle weathering all add up to a lovely model in my opinion. I'd be proud of this one if i were you.

If I were to suggest 1 thing - it would be that the exhaust mufflers and pipes might be better painted in a slightly less "rust" colour and more of a dirty dark browny-metallic colour. I think this would just tone them down a little and add to the realism. But I do like the staining and the discolouration you've added to the mufflers themselves.

Thats just a personal thing and I'm sure others will think nothing wrong with the colour you used.

Have a look at this article and see how Chris Wauchop did his exhausts http://www.hyperscale.com/2008/features/ju88g648cw_1.htm

Anyhow - a fine build me lad - build more!!!

Cheers

Jonners

• 1 month later...

Looks good to me.One tip on the exhausts,that i use,is to paint them in a metallic finish,i usually use Humbrol gun metal,and let it dry for 15-30 minutes until it's still slightly tacky.Then dry brush on either rust effect Mig pigment ,or rust coloured pastels ground to a dust.Raw umber is the colour i usually use.This sticks to the still tacky paint and gives the effect of metal having having surface rust.Here is an example.

IMG_1206.jpg

I was going for a subtle surface rust effect here.The tackier the paint,the more rust pigment/pastel sticks to it.Just make sure it is not too wet when you drybrush as you don't want to ruin or remove the metallic paint.

That is a nice build. :goodjob:

Edited by Tizzy

If I could offer one piece of advice, it would be to add a matt coat over the top. Matt finishes suit intermediate colours like greys and blues, gloss finishes suit red and blacks. As a general guide, if it's a mute tone, use a mute finish. Other than that, looks pretty good to me!

• 2 weeks later...

As an alternative to using Mig pigments to simulate rust I had a go at using real rust & it looked ok. I put some nails in a jar full of water & after a while it had evapourated leaving a nice rusty residue.

The tip of using tacky gunmetal paint as an undercoat is good, will try that on my next build.

Pete