Frog/Eastern Express 1/96 Britannia

Paul Bradley

Just picked up the Eastern Express 1/96 Britannia, formerly the old Frog kit. Obviously, its rather crude and lacking in detail, but I'd like to know more about the accuracy, or otherwise, of the basic kit - I don't build many airliners, so I am sadly lacking in reference. Can anyone help with potential sources of reference, plans, or has any views or opinions about the kit based on experience?

And I haven't decided if I'd like to do this as RAF or civvie, so are there any differences in civvie and RAF versions that I would need to take into account?

Thanks!!

Hi Paul,

I have a bagged Tri-Ang moulding of the same kit, inherited from my late grandfathers collection.

As far as I can see the kit represents the series 100 aircraft and the RAF used the series 200 onwards, which was a stretched version for the cargo carrying capabilities.

FYI

Series 100

Ninety-passenger airliner with 114ft (35m) fuselage and powered by four Bristol Proteus 705

Series 200

All cargo variant with a 124ft 3in (38m) fuselage

Series 300

Passenger only version of the 200 series, capable of carrying up to 139 passengers

So , the FROG/EE kit would not be correct for a RAF transport commmand version.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Edited by mikeew

I see - I guess the kit decals are useless then, as the only option is an RAF one!

Thanks Mike!

Paul

You could buy two. Then you can extend the fuselage and the cheat lines with bits from the second model.

:winkgrin:

David

I've got one aswell; given to me by Paul the decal chap. I did a search on the internerd and found a site on the BB. Contacted them and they were getting back to me with info, as i too wanted to do the A&AEE version. After my last escapde of cut & shut on the comet i'd rather have another kit to bastardise, but there on ebay at silly money from the US. Do a google and you'll find the site.....

If I can be of help let me know, I've had a 1/72 Airways Vac-Form on the go for ageeeessss, and have got hold of "First Lady, The Bristol Britannia by Nick Corrie" (softback book) and a Scoval book: "The Whispering Giant: The Story of the Bristol Britannia" by Frank McKim ISBN info

Second book has all the schemes worn by Britannias' and the first is more of a potted history at only 32 pages, perhaps this will get me started on my own again!!