Schlactschiff Bismarck

Phil Reeder

There's some discussion on RoG's Bismarck here -

http://cs.finescale.com/forums/996171/ShowPost.aspx

Hugh

Thanks for sharing this, Hugh. As well as being a very useful forum there was a link to what turned out to be the WEM paint chip pages that contain accurate colours for not only Kreigsmarine ships but also all manner of other goodies.

Tony :clif:

Thanks for sharing this, Hugh. As well as being a very useful forum there was a link to what turned out to be the WEM paint chip pages that contain accurate colours for not only Kreigsmarine ships but also all manner of other goodies.

Glad you found it useful.

Here's another tome - don't be put off by the title - it describes surface ship colours too, and is well worth a download.

http://www.rokket.biz/models/modelsweb/rok...557/paint.shtml

Hugh

Yesterday,I recieve my new Windows XP,I`m still getting used to it,but ,at least I`m in the 21st century now!This post shows the progress so far.I`ve just about finished the lower superstructure,and I`m going to do the PE to this area,before moving to the tower etc.Bye Phil

SL271250.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder

Glad you found it useful.

Here's another tome - don't be put off by the title - it describes surface ship colours too, and is well worth a download.

http://www.rokket.biz/models/modelsweb/rok...557/paint.shtml

Hugh

Thanks Hugh, you're right, it's a very useful reference.

After nearly a week of wondering around my `stash`,looking at various aircraft kits,and seen nothing to take my fancy.I eventually saw this hugh green coloured box,which said "build me".It was the Revell 1/350th kit of the Bismarck.As I`m planning to build as many of the ships that took part in the hunt for the Bismarck as possible,I thought it was only right that I did the quarry.

Revells kit of this ship is superb,as you will remember from Ted Taylor`s build of her.it is a vast improvement over the Tamiya kit,although,with work that to, can be made into a good replica of the ship.

There are two colour schemes that can be done from the kit ,the Baltic work-up scheme(B/W stripes etc)and from the 27th of May 41,the day she was sunk.but to be a bit different,I`m doing her as she appeared on the 24th,during her epic encounter with the Mighty `OOD.

The decal sheet included in the kit ,is very comprehensive,and of excellent quality,and the instruction sheet clear and easy to follow.

I made a start ,by joining the hull halves together,no fit problems here ,but when I fitted the prop shaft part in the hull,they left a noticeable gap(see photo),but this was easily filled.

Well I`m off again ,I do like my Big Battleboats Bye for now Phil

SL271224.jpg

SL271225.jpg

Hi Phil what's the scheme on the wall behind the Bismarck please?

I`ve put some PE deckrailing on the aft superstructure,along with some inclined ladders.I may have to replace a couple of pieces,as they don`t look right to me.

Bye Phil

Phil, great job as usual,

looks much better with the PE rails than mine did with the plastic but I think Revell did a good job all round on the boat even the rails were at the best you can mould, any smaller than that and you have trouble with feeds in the moulds.

Ted

The PE is finished on the forward bridge structure,and on the searchlight platform on the funnel.This was a bit difficult to do,it required seven piece of PE cut to the right size,but I seem to have mastered it ok.

Looking at photos,it seemed that during her time in the Baltic,these railings had canvass `dodgers`attached to them,however,when she sailed on Rhine Exercise,these were removed,presumably to reduce fire-risk.I`m really enjoying building this,what a cracking kit!

Bye Phil

SL271256.jpg

SL271258.jpg

The major parts of the structure have been finished and attached to the model,a start has been made on adding the smaller detail parts.The layout of the sprues is a bit confusing,rather like the Airfix Lifeboat,but not as bad.At least Revell have produced alphabetical sprues,but the numbering system is a bit odd.No great problem ,though.Bye Phil

SL271260.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder

After a short break,I`ve resumed the Bismarck.I`ve added the midships searchlight platform ,enhanced with PE deckrailings and inclined ladders.The two aircraft catapults from the kit have been used,they were that good,I didn`t think they needed replacing with PE.Next up will be the gunnery director positions,I`ve found three PE radar aerials for them, in my spares box,Never throw anything away!!

Bye for now Phil

SL271272.jpg

SL271274.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder

I`ve added the gunnery control rangefinders to their positons on the superstructure,I`m not adding the PE FuG radar aerials ,until later.The ships boats in the kit,are some of the best I`ve ever seen,they even have their props,and rudders moulded on.One word of warning,section 25 of the instruction sheet,does`nt indicate that part C226(right hull half),should be attached to part C227(deck),before adding part C225(left hull half).I cemented the two hull halves together ,before adding the deck,and had a bit of a problem adding the decks. Bye Phil

SL271287.jpg

SL271286.jpg

The underside of one of the boats,showing the props etc.

I`ve finished the ships boats today,apart from two small ones ,which go in the two open boats.If Revell are doing a Tirpitz,I`ll be sorely tempted to get one,just because she had a good variety of colour schemes,at one time ,when fitting-out she had red-brick buildings painted on her!!That would be a challenge to paint on a 1/350th model! Bye Phil

SL271289.jpg

All the searchlights have been fitted,also the distintive spherical AA directors on the forward structure,Bismarck only carried two of these .Tirpitz had four. According to one of the Bsmarck websites ,all the boats on his weather deck,were removed,for "Rhine Exercise",this was to increase the field of fire for the 5.9" gun turrets,and possibly to reduce the fire risk.

Bye Phil

SL271293.jpg

No wonder Kapitan Lindemann,ordered that the Bismarck,be refered to as He,not as with every other ship,she.

SL271294.jpg

The aft structure,showing the older AA director installed there.

Edited by Phil Reeder