Schlactschiff Bismarck

Phil Reeder

After nearly a week of wondering around my `stash`,looking at various aircraft kits,and seen nothing to take my fancy.I eventually saw this hugh green coloured box,which said "build me".It was the Revell 1/350th kit of the Bismarck.As I`m planning to build as many of the ships that took part in the hunt for the Bismarck as possible,I thought it was only right that I did the quarry.

Revells kit of this ship is superb,as you will remember from Ted Taylor`s build of her.it is a vast improvement over the Tamiya kit,although,with work that to, can be made into a good replica of the ship.

There are two colour schemes that can be done from the kit ,the Baltic work-up scheme(B/W stripes etc)and from the 27th of May 41,the day she was sunk.but to be a bit different,I`m doing her as she appeared on the 24th,during her epic encounter with the Mighty `OOD.

The decal sheet included in the kit ,is very comprehensive,and of excellent quality,and the instruction sheet clear and easy to follow.

I made a start ,by joining the hull halves together,no fit problems here ,but when I fitted the prop shaft part in the hull,they left a noticeable gap(see photo),but this was easily filled.

Well I`m off again ,I do like my Big Battleboats Bye for now Phil

SL271224.jpg

SL271225.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder

After the hull has been cleaned up,I primed it with Halfords red primer,which ,after a coat of Kleer,I masked off the hull bottom,and painted the dark gray bow section,The rest of the upper hull wa painted with Xtrcrylics Med Sea Gray.The Black I/D bands showed through the paint,the was simulated by appling a slightly darker shade of gray.The main deck was planked with mahogany wood,so I use Revell paint no88,dusted down with light and dark brown pastels. Bye Phil

SL271228.jpg

SL271231.jpg

some of the decals have been applied

Edited by Phil Reeder

Looking good Phil.

I like the base you use, is that for display or just for building? Doyou shape the batons for the hull to sit in?

Hi Mish,the bases I make are for display,all they are is a plank of wood,slightly larger than the model,when the hull is painted and finished ,I attach it to the small squares of wood approx 1/4" square,that roughly cut to follow the outline of the ship.

I use CA to attach the hull to the base,although sometimes I also use small screws,for a more secure fitting.( see the Hood build)only then do I start the upperworks,Bye Phil

Edited by Phil Reeder

Hi Mish,the bases I make are for display,all they are is a plank of wood,slightly larger than the model,when the hull is painted and finished ,I attach it to the small squares of wood approx 1/4" square,that roughly cut to follow the outline of the ship.

I use CA to attach the hull to the base,although sometimes I also use small screws,for a more secure fitting.( see the Hood build)only then do I start the upperworks,Bye Phil

Thanks Phil I had guessed right then. Thanks

Thanks for that Phil, I too wondered how you built your bases, they certainly look effective. I have built the Tamiya Bismarck and have added the Academy and Revell kits to my stash. Am I right in thinking that there is a third option (entry to service) included in the Revell instructions?

Tony :clif:

Thanks for that Phil, I too wondered how you built your bases, they certainly look effective. I have built the Tamiya Bismarck and have added the Academy and Revell kits to my stash. Am I right in thinking that there is a third option (entry to service) included in the Revell instructions?

Hi Tony,there are only two colour scheme options in the kit,the `Baltic work-up scheme`and for the 27th May 41.having said that ,it would be quite simple to do the `in service `scheme of light gray upper works ,and slightly darker gray hull,of Aug 1940,

Bye Phil

Hi Tony,there are only two colour scheme options in the kit,the `Baltic work-up scheme`and for the 27th May 41.having said that ,it would be quite simple to do the `in service `scheme of light gray upper works ,and slightly darker gray hull,of Aug 1940,

Bye Phil

As per the painting guide in the instructions? I think it's section 4, just after the hull construction parts.

Hi Tony .I`ve included a pic of the relevent part of the instruction sheet ,showing the options included in the kit,as can be seen only two are included.

I`ve nearly finished the funnel,and test fitted it to the deck,the impressive detail inside the grill area ,saves you having to use PE,another brownie point for this kit!

I`m beginning to wish that Revell had done the Prinz Eugan ,rather than Trumpeter,if it had been as good as the Bismarck,it would had been stunning,and a whole lot cheaper!!! Bye Phil

PICT0001-1.jpg

PICT0002-1.jpg

The Funnel is nearly done,I`ve added some PE railing and the platform.

SL271246.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder

Mr. Maritime pulls another stunner out of the box :gobsmacked: I have no idea how you Ship Experts do them so well, just looking at a ship box gives me nightmares :worthy::worthy:

Bex

Please accept my apologies, Phil, :sorry: I thought that the top scheme was a scheme on it's own rather than the basis for the Baltic/Atlantic schemes.I didn't know about the Prinz Eugen, either. I agree with you that Revell would have done a cheaper, better fit (judging on the differences between the dry fit of the new Bismarck compared with the Trumpeter Hood) kit but at least, like the Hood, the kit will be out there. I'm really enjoying reading your builds and will be keeping a keen eye on this one as it develops.

Please accept my apologies, Phil, :sorry: I thought that the top scheme was a scheme on it's own rather than the basis for the Baltic/Atlantic schemes.I didn't know about the Prinz Eugen, either. I agree with you that Revell would have done a cheaper, better fit (judging on the differences between the dry fit of the new Bismarck compared with the Trumpeter Hood) kit but at least, like the Hood, the kit will be out there. I'm really enjoying reading your builds and will be keeping a keen eye on this one as it develops.

There is no need to apologize Tony,when I first looked at the instructions,I thought there were three options too!

Thanks everybody Bye Phil

Keep em coming Phil - I'm enjoying your builds, and having looked at the dates of your posts, it's quick work!

There have been some comments about the fit of RoG's Bismarck hull halves elsewhere on the web, and having checked mine, it seems that there must be one or two kits out there which aren't quite up to Revell's usual standard of manufacture.

It's nothing insurmountable but is annoying when you want to just jump straight in and start assembling without having to do lots of filling, reshaping & sanding etc.

BTW - Whose PE set have you used for this one?

Trumpeter's new 1/350 Prinz Eugen will be unveiled at the forthcoming Tokyo Model & Hobby Show just before Xmas, and it'll be interesting to see how the final product turns out. Whichever way, she'll make a fine companion to Revell's Bismarck.

I also have Hood in the stash ready to go, although mine will be in her final config, along with KGV & PoW.

All we need now is a Victorious, Dorsetshire, Suffolk or Norfolk, and a nice 1/350 Tribal wouldn't go amiss either!

Great time to be a ship modeller, although I am personally sick and tired of endless US & IJN subjects flooding the mkt at the moment!

Hugh

Thanks Hugh,I`m in total agreement with you, about the never-ending list of IJN/USN subjects.I`m sick to death of it!You`d think that Britain never had a Navy. (Sez he -building the Bismarck!)Hopefully there should a 1/350th Tribal from our friends at WEM in the near future,and Flagman have announced one,but don`t hold your breath with that one.All I can say is"Roll on the Repulse"(and Prinz Eugan!)

Re the PE,I`m only using deckrailings ,nothing else Bye Phil

Edited by Phil Reeder