Intruder Fuselage Airbrakes

dswoofie

Hi,

I'm back with questions about these Airbrakes on this pesky EA-6A. Found out that the perforations do go all of the way through the airbrake on the EA/A-6A, but I've got other questions now!

What are the colours for these airbrakes, and the bay? The instructions call out for the inside of the airbrake and the bay to be Red, and the outside of the airbrake to be Black... Now as far as I can see in pictures, the outside of the airbrake seems to be a really dark metallic colour, almost black, but not black. And I can find no pictures of the inside of the airbrakes...

So, is it correct that the insides are Red, or should they be something else?? Don't want to do anything until I can be a little more sure of what is right...

Incidentally, does anyone know why things are painted red on most USN aircraft, such as the extended flaps, inside of slats, airbrakes etc, etc...

Any help greatfully received!!!

Karl.

I think the airbrakes, which, when deployed, stick out into the jet exhaust, are burned metal (titanium?). I'm fairly sure that the instructions for the Fujimi 1/72 EA-6A say that the insides of the airbrakes/ airbrake bays are white, but I could be wrong. Finally, I think that the edges of u/c doors, flaps and areas of airframe uncovered when slats and flaps are deployed are red on USN aircraft is

i) as a quick and easy visual check that they are deployed;

ii) as a safety measure (being hit by a taxying F-14's u/c door is no fun, being run over by oone even less so, and red is a colour which stands out, especially at sea);

iii) because it looks pretty! :D

Cheers,

Chris.

Chris,

The Fujimi EA-6A 'Black Bunny' version instructions show red on the inside of the airbrakes, although I think it'll look a little stark. Don't really want to go and do it unless I can confirm the colour some way...

Interesting, Thanks,

Karl.

Karl,

The fuselage airbrakes for all Intruders fell out of favour pretty early in the aircraft's life cycle, and were bolted shut. I think that the disturbed the airflow to the horizontal tail when deployed. Some Intruders kept the perforations, even A-6Es, others had a blank plate installed. My guess would be white or grey for the inside of this area, but some early A-6s may have been red, the wing tip brakes are definately red.

I still wonder why some naval a/c have red flaps, Tomcats, Intruders, Phantoms and Skyhawks for example, but Hornets and Corsairs don't.

Joel

Sorry a bit late on this one, but i thought the intruder family dumped the idea of fuselage air brakes and kept the wing tip brakes

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...f-5891c-001.jpg

I have had a look at my refs and cant find a single photo of a EA-6 with fuselage air brakes deployed

OK, I think I'm going to do them in white. Problem solved... for now...

Thanks guys,

Karl.

From the horses mouth "They were bolted up years ago, the A-6 had them for dive bombing"

So I would safely say closed, on the other hand he is a Marine pilot :whistling: (only kidding Jim)

I've never seen an Intruder with the side airbrakes open, I think they were bolted shut very early on. The perforations were kept for quite a while, rather like the ribbing on a Skyhawks rudder..

Joel