Staaken

jono

Hi Guys

Hopefully are attatched some images of my current trauma, Rodens Staaken. To say its been slow going is an understatement but we all know how Roden love there detail ! Apologies for the quality of photo's but photography has never been my strong point, and for the state of my work bench (but I bet you can almost smell it ! )

cheers

jono

012.jpg

006-1.jpg

Jono,

That is looking really sharp! Great finish and detail. A super subject too - might even get me back to 1/72, though I'd love to have a go at scratching one in 1/48th.....

Post it on "In Progress" and help educate the great unwashed into the joys of WWI subjects - they all really want to do one but are scared!

Hi Jono,

Nice looking build! I have one and on occasion open the box and fondle the contents before putting the lid back on and lying down in a darkened room!

One quick question. The lozenge covering: are those the kit supplied decals? If they are did you put a dark undercoat on before applying them, as those in my box are rather brighter.

Also any tips or problems to be aware off?

Christian the Married

That sure is looking nice!

What decals do you use? Original ones supplied by Roden! On a Dutch webiste we are doing an "early strategic bombers groupbuild" at this moment. Someone was suppose to do a Staaken, but did not make a start... Now most of us do a Roden Gotha. That's also not an easy one!

http://forum.modelbrouwers.nl/phpBB2/viewf...a137b7655dce79f

Cheers, Nico

Edited by Nico Teunissen

Blimey! This looks good. Always got me how quickly the engineering advanced to enable these things to fly. The paint work on the nacelle looks very effective.

Photos are fine, maybe a light at a lower level would help??

Andy

Hi Jono,

Nice looking build! I have one and on occasion open the box and fondle the contents before putting the lid back on and lying down in a darkened room!

One quick question. The lozenge covering: are those the kit supplied decals? If they are did you put a dark undercoat on before applying them, as those in my box are rather brighter.

Also any tips or problems to be aware off?

Christian the Married

Christian, to those that seem to know, and thats not me, the lozenge in the kit is too bright and probably the wrong shades, but, as i cant afford to spend the same again on lozenge as I did for the kit, it will have to do ! so, the decal has been laid down over a pure black base coat and then sealed in with matt varnish with a tiny drop of black in it.

tips.............. dont do it ! :)

joking aside, its not an easy kit, the fuselage sides are a sod to get together and to clean up the seam, and the tail plane is very fragile to say the least. The engine nacelles are crammed full of bits so its essential that they are all correct else none of it will fit together...

go on, be brave, you know you want to build it !

Edited by jono

What decals do you use? Original ones supplied by Roden! On a Dutch webiste we are doing an "early strategic bombers groupbuild" at this moment. Someone was suppose to do a Staaken, but did not make a start... Now most of us do a Roden Gotha. That's also not an easy one!

Cheers, Nico

Dont think I have ever seen so many Gothas, never tried one so maybe that will be next !, I have used the Kit Lozenge Nico, little choice ! but its been dulled right down

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Cheers, Nico

Thanks for the referal site, it is super. I will visit it often Carl t