Aligning / Mounting Struts

BuffaloModeler

Can anyone describe their method of aligning the vertical struts on WWI biplanes, please? I've a Roden SE 5a in 1/48th that is giving me fits. Any help is appreciated or, point me in the right direction will work as well.

Thanks a lot

John Z

Hi John,

No easy answer to this one, its anything from a makeshift jig made of paint pots and foam, or commercial jigs that can be bought from the likes of aeroclub.

I dont use either, but just work on getting the interplane struts on the fuselage in the right place and using them as a key for everything else.

So, for example, you have a top wing with mounting points for the struts on the underside. These are say 20mm apart, this means u just need

to ensure that the first strut you fix is 10mm at the top, from the centre line of the fusealage, this is not as difficult as it sounds and is alot easier

if you are starting with a vertical strut. The struts just need to be the correct distance apart all round, and that measurement is in the mounting

points on the underside of the wing...................

good luck !

So, it's as simple as careful measuring? Hmm. Sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees. Thanks very much! I'll give it a shot and I'll let you know how it goes.

Hi John,

No easy answer to this one, its anything from a makeshift jig made of paint pots and foam, or commercial jigs that can be bought from the likes of aeroclub.

I dont use either, but just work on getting the interplane struts on the fuselage in the right place and using them as a key for everything else.

So, for example, you have a top wing with mounting points for the struts on the underside. These are say 20mm apart, this means u just need

to ensure that the first strut you fix is 10mm at the top, from the centre line of the fusealage, this is not as difficult as it sounds and is alot easier

if you are starting with a vertical strut. The struts just need to be the correct distance apart all round, and that measurement is in the mounting

points on the underside of the wing...................

good luck !

• 4 weeks later...

I also find that without a jig, aligning the cabane struts (the ones that are attached to the fuselage) first and geting them set is a good start. I've been pretty lucky with my biplanes so far, but a Roden Bristol F2B and a Hobbycraft Sopwith Camel nearly drove me around the bend.

There is a technique of which I've heard, but not tried yet, which is to make a cardboard copy of the top wing for the area where the upper ends of the cabanes attach, the cardboard is usually much ligtrer than the actual wing. Punch small holes in the cardboard, where the struts should be attached, and insert the upper nub of the cabanes into the holes - this aligns the cabanes relative to one another, and you can adjust all of them as a group - then once the glue has set, or nearly set, remove the cardboard - the top wing should fit perfectly. I'm going to give it a try on the Camel.

I wish manufacturers would help by, perhaps joining pairs of struts near the top and bottom, by thin pieces of plastic. This would at least align the struts at the right angles (to produce wing stagger) then once the wing is in place and the glue set, the thin plastic could be easily trimmed away.

In conclusion, it must be a Zen thing.

You are right it is a ZEN thing.

I always went for getting the interplane struts fit at first, and thereafter the outer struts. But,.... I ordered a Jig, and this one (from Schram) will be used the first time following weeks on a Gotha GIV.

Cheers, Nico

I saw an article the other day, I think on Modelling Madness, about making a jig out of LEGO with BluTac to hold the model in place.

Regards

David

I always went for getting the interplane struts fit at first, and thereafter the outer struts. But,.... I ordered a Jig, and this one (from Schram) will be used the first time following weeks on a Gotha GIV.

Cheers, Nico

I found the problem with the Gotha struts was that they are very brittle and having aligned and located them in the lower wing placing the upper wing caused some of them to literally disintegrate at the slightest pressure. I am not sure a wing jig would have cured the problem but it would have helped.

• 3 months later...

Cheers, Nico

Does anybody know if the Schram biplane jig is available here in the U.S. & if not where it can be gotten. Also the price wherever. I have a lot of Roden & Eduard WW1 model in stock. Thanks for any help. One of the models I am working on at present is Tokos 1/72nd Siemans/ Schukert D 3 with the Part etchbrass set for it. Have made up the e/b cockpit & installed it in the fusalage. Carl T