La Ferte Alais

Rowan Broadbent

At the tail end of our French hols in July this year Madame and I visited the Jean Salis Collection at La Ferte Alais, south of Paris.

This is a wonderful place to visit - you should really phone in advance but we just turned up at lunchtime as it happens, so the kind lady in the hangar said we could come back after her repas, so we repaired to the very pleasant little eatery overlooking the airfield and after a very pleasant bavette steak and a couple of glasses of red I was allowed to enter this aeronautical aladin's cave.

What a Joy! - no barriers, you simply wander around the aircraft parked in the hangars. They have a lot of machinery from all periods there, but I am only putting up the WWI shots here - I got some others including some detail shots of their Storch - so if anyone wants them to assist with Tamiya's kit, let me know!

It probably is obvious that these are detail shots in a walkroud style rather than arty-farty ones!

So Here we are:

A pre-war Morane Saulinier - as copied by Pfalz as the EI

P1010049.jpg

P1010050.jpg

The WWI corner

P1010073.jpg

Spad XIII - useful for the new Eduard kit! Note the authentic blue finish to the metalwork and the almost completely flat finish to the wings, not a rib in sight and hardly able to see the rib tapes!

P1010074.jpg

P1010075.jpg

P1010076.jpg

P1010077.jpg

P1010078.jpg

The SE5a

P1010096.jpg

P1010079.jpg

P1010080.jpg

P1010081.jpg

P1010092.jpg

P1010097.jpg

The Morane Saulnier AI

P1010082.jpg

P1010091.jpg

The Fokker DVII (complete with original Merc DIII BMW IIIa engine)

P1010083.jpg

P1010084.jpg

Looks like Aeromaster Lozenge was used!

P1010085.jpg

sadly the cockpit was covered

P1010086.jpg

Hmmm...seems that I can only post so many photos in one post - I'll post the other few as an extension...

If you haven't visited their site its a good 'un :

http://memorial.flight.free.fr/

I Didn't get into the workshops, where they are restoring the LVG CVI and Sopwith Strutter - actually I didn't ask if I could as we had to get back through the Tunnel and had run out of time - I think next time I'll email and see if I can get an appointment to view.....

Edited by Rowan Broadbent

Lovely photos Rowan, I did the same this year. We called in and Clare and I were just given the run of the wonderful place. At least you were able to take photos. I had dropped our only camera (Clares) off the deck of the boat into the Charente at Cognac, so all I got were a few scrappy shots using a phone camera.

Regards

John