JASDF F104

AndyL

Well, about time I opened a build log, thanks to finding a very reasonably priced F104 at Sutton Coldfield yesterday, but sadly not a J model. I'll have to cobble it together and emulate richc in getting it closer to a J. I've chopped the fuselage halves off the sprues and they're straight as a die just to check, so rich, you may have just got an odd one. So, today, I'll do a bit of minor assembly work to start it off properly and I'll post pics tonight.

Anyone got pics of the harness arrangement on the Lockheed C2 ejection seat, assuming the J model was equipped with them?

Andy

The gang's all here!

Hi Andy, good to see you again yesterday, and thanks for the comment about my exploded diagram!

As for the C2 seat, early 104Js used them apparently, but then they switched to the Martin Baker GQ7A seat. A good reference site is www.ejectionsite.com which is what I used to detail my C2 for the Starfighter on the table yesterday:

seat1.jpg

seat2.jpg

cockpit3.jpg

Hope that's some use to you.

Cheers,

Dean

Andy you looking for markings for the j i have the kit marks if you would like them

Right, first progress after my second move south of the year. Just been sorting out the cockpit as you can see from the photos. I've also assembled the uncarriage bay, and the jet tube. Next step will be assembling the bang seat, and sorting harnesses from lead foil. Cheers for the offer of decals, Tiger, but I'm sharing a TwoBobs set with richc. Thanks for the offer - much appreciated!

Grimbosq109.jpg

Grimbosq112.jpg

Andy

Edited by AndyL

Thanks all...amd yep the move went ok Mish. Back in Reading hmmmmm....

Anyway, progress - got the fuselage halves and wings together. Wasn't happy with the fit of some of the inserts into the fuselage - mainly the one aft of the main undercarriage bay, and the one behind the cockpit. You can see from the pic its left a step to fill/sand. Anyway, I've set it to one side to complete a started Tornado, then I'll crack back on with this one.

Grimbosq122.jpg

Cheers for looking!

Hi Andy

Had got to the same stage as you, then put the kit on it's pins and the darn thing leant to port horribly. Turns out the undercarriage bay can rotate a very small amount inside the fus. I now have had to rip the damn thing apart and look at re-aligning the bay.

Have you had similar issues? Or have you not put the gear on to see if it sits straight. Just be careful if you try it, as both pins pulled off my main gear legs, so back to improvising a way of getting the a/c sitting square, before attaching the gear :banghead: .

rich

• 2 weeks later...

Right all, undercarriage built, but I've not test fitted it yet, as I've been trying to sort the correct colour scheme out. It's going to have a white central section with two red stripes; the upper surfaces of the wings are in white too. Everything forward of the intakes, and aft of the trailing edge will be in Alclad. I'm just masking the airframe now, and for ease the wings haven't been glued into their slots.

Grimbosq133.jpg

Getting there...

• 3 weeks later...