rigging thickness?

smuts

Hi guys would .3 wire (approx .010') be to thick for rigging 48th scale biplanes such as a Grumman F3F-1, just wondered about the diameter as I've

seen Lionroar produce rod this Dia.

Andy.

I used 0.2 mm surgical wire on the Swordfish I just finished for the control cable rigging, and 1.1 lb Fishing line for the Antennae if thats any help.

Peter

Hi guys would .3 wire (approx .010') be to thick for rigging 48th scale biplanes such as a Grumman F3F-1, just wondered about the diameter as I've

seen Lionroar produce rod this Dia.

Andy.

O.3 what? If mm, that equals 14.4m , full size. True scale thats about equal to the depth of a flat Rafwire (not sure what the yanks used at this time but I'd be prepared to bet it was of simmilar dimensions) though about three times too thick from head-on. Rigging at anything less than, say, 1/24 scale is almost bound to be a compromise between scale accuracy and appearance. I'd suggest 0.3mm wire, painted light grey would look pretty good. I use 3lb monofilament, which at 0.17mmm comes out at 8.16mm, full size and painted a darker grey gives a good appearance. The "drilling and pulling through" rigging method is perhaps a tad more labour intensive, but it gives the whole structure some strength and seldom goes slack with changes in weather - a pal of mine who lives in Crete has one of my models rigged this way and last time I saw it, it was holding up to 40 degree heat pretty well!