RAV-14 Cerberus

Hello there

this my first post in this section so please be gentle!!

As part of a final year group design project, we were required to design a counter insurgency aircraft. Part of this entailed producing a model of the aircraft we have named Cerberus. Here are some piccies.

drawing00008.jpg

drawing00007.jpg

drawing00006.jpg

drawing00005.jpg

drawing00004.jpg

drawing00003-1.jpg

drawing00002-1.jpg

drawing00001-1.jpg

basically, this was just a bit of fun, but we really enjoyed building it. I am more used to building plastic kits, but was an enjoyable challenge to build this kit from blocks balsa! this my first attempt at this and as such the quality is not the best.

we would love to know what you think, both in terms of the model itself and the aircraft design as a whole, as we like to think we have produced an interesting design.

cheers

shaun

I like the model a lot, a real blend of OV-10 and modern Turboprop COIN aircraft design (Super Tucano etc).

However a few comments on the design - the bubble canopy looks great but a more bulged design would allow greater outwards visibility. A tandem two man crew would be useful for COIN/FAC roles, with an extra set of eyes or ears/mouth to control communications being useful. What flaps or other high lift devices does it have? Short/austere field capability would be useful I feel.

Adding some lumps and bumps to represent useful equipment like a FLIR turrent/LLTV camera (perhaps under the centre of the fuselage to give a great field of view), and defensive equipment such as IR 'disco ball', chaff and flare dispensers, MAWS gear, laser jammers etc would really help bring the model to life though I realise equipment fit such as this may be outside the scope of your project. Some guns would be useful too I venture, either podded or wing mounted :D

Where were you studying by the way, wasn't Imperial by any chance (Aero Eng)? A friend of mine has had to do a very similar project as part of her final year their, indeed I think her craft was intended for the COIN role.

Looking good Shaun!

But, since you asked ( :D )

I'd extend the booms slightly so they penetrate the leading edge of the wings. That way, you can put a cannon in each of them (25mm Bushmaster - commonality with the Bradley IFV/CFV and ammo-wise also the GAU-12 of the USMC Harriers). I like Wills ideas, except I think a twin-tub FAC version is good, but the COIN role would be served ok by one man. I'd also make it more obviously turbo-prop powered, but that's just me wanting power :mg:

:viking:

Gentlemen, thank you for your comments, but there are a few things i feel i should clear up!

the aircraft does have a flir and turreted cannon mounted under the fuselage, but these cannot be seen due to the mounting of the model. the canopy has been sized in accoprdance with out drag calculations; when fully loaded, the aircraft is quite draggy, and increasing the size of the canopy would produce more drag and hence increase the size of the engines required. we have used PT-6A turboprops, which produce around 1700hp each and this is the upper thrust limit of these engines! A single crew memeber has been chosen due to the relatively low acquisition and operating cost stipulated by our specification. the training costs and salary of two crew members would be more expensive than the cost of installing a more advanced flight control system and as such this ompromise has been made. the FCS coupled with the cockpit layout enables the pilot to carry out a full CAS mission without a high pilot wokload. there is a full defensive avionics suite incorporating DIRCM, MAWS, RWR and chaff and flare. Single slotted fowler flaps give the aircraft the capability to operate from short rough fields, with a take off run at MTOW of 400m

I've gone on a bit, but i hope that clears some stuff up. I've posted a link to a video we made, which gives some alternative views on the aircraft. i hope this is also if interest and you enjoy it as much as we did making it!

Cerberus

if there are any more technical questions i'd be happy to answer them!

thanks again for the positive response, its appreciated!

cheers

shaun

Ps VolvoWill, i have been studying st Loughborough Univeristy, having finished my 4 year masters course yesterday!

PPs, sorry if this has gone a bit off topic :whistling:

Edited by Seamus