Mitsubishi MU-2A *finished*

Stebos

I got a selection of goodies from HLJ show up today.

One of them was this:

mu2abox.jpg

As this is a short GB I won't have time to do the UH-60J as well.

I was browsing for ideas for this one as nothing in the stash fitted, I just *had* to grab at this kit though, the livery is just so attractive.

It's an old kit I'm guessing, some flash is seen, and the panel lines are very delicately raised.

mu2asprue1.jpg

mu2asprue2.jpg

Not many bits to it, I like to add in simple kits between the complex ones to avoid coming down with AMS.

Edited by Stebos

I have one of these (older issue) too- lovely little kit.

However- it is a bit fiddly, a lot of sharpening up to do, but that paint job... I just cant seee how it would be easily done. In fact I sooo believe to do it well would be the mark of a true nutter- I have thought about entering one for the nationals in sftb class.

But i dont think I could do it crisply enough. I always hoped Hasegawa would bring one of these out in 1/48, such a cute little plane

I made a start on this tonight.

The basic pit didn't fit at all, and wants to 'float' above the positioning lugs. I might have to bed it down into some milliput.

There's nothing at all provided behind the 2 seats and the windows, while thick, are quite large and clear so while I puzzle over the poor fit of the cockpit I created an interior of sorts:

mu2%20int1.jpg

A couple of bulkheads and a floor from some card, the two seats were chopped from the unused extras for the seahawk.

I've found no references for the interior of the MU2, except the executive jet which doesn't help much. So I'm hoping the pair of seats gives it some extra plausibility.

mu2%20int2.jpg

I've just tacked things together for now, to see how it all fits.

Good choice Stebos ;) I've been thinking of getting this kit myself, but more for the fact that you get the markings for the all-blue UH-60J :)

BTW, I've got a few pics of this particular bird if you're interested?

Some progress over the week:

mu2%20pit1.jpg

mu2%20pit2.jpg

Cockpit is done. The instrument decal was lousy, even trimming it right down the the dials left it a mm or so oversized. No real option though. It passes muster through the thick glazing.

Other than the scratched together rear compartment and belts I've not added any other detail. I left the belts as plain tammy tape, I rather liked the colour and I don't feel it looks odd.

mu2%201.jpg

Fuselage together, there's a poor step to be filled just inside the canopy. other than that there's little filling done.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Mentalguru

It's me!

The completed build here: http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.p...096&start=0

I started a second one (Mu2J, flight check version), but decals are too fine and leave in tatters, so he is in stand by.....

Well you should givr yourself a big pat on the back- wouldn't a 1/48 one be nice!

Thanks for that link Olivier.

I'm still surprised at the size of this thing, it's no bigger than a Spit.

It's mostly together now, will post a pic later. My current worry is the wings, it'll be very tricky to AB some spots if I paint it with wings attached. But test fitting reveals some minor filling needed to the upper join.

Trying to decide between:

-fixing on the wings and brush painting the underside between engine & wing root. It will be dark which hides brush strokes well.

-painting fuselage & wings seperate, then fixing and touching up

-painting underside of wings only, then fixing them and completing the rest.

That's ok Mish, I can never keep track of the activity here also.

Progress as of tonight:

I usually mask canopies with tape, but the extreme fiddly curves on this one left with a quandry. The frame lines are far to thin to let me scalpel around them and I have no clear masking film. So I gave blu tack a tryout.

mu2%20mask.jpg

I won't get ruler straight edges but I never do anyway. I figure it will end up neater than a month spent adding little bits of tape.

Primed up now. Due to the masking needs I've keeping the wings off until the end.

mu2%20primed.jpg

And the basic colour blocks are going on now. Just the boot strips left before I detail paint and assemble the u/c.

mu2%202.jpg

mu2%203.jpg

I have a general rule not to use pure white, but as this will be a clean build of an anniversary livery all fresh and sparkly I went with the white. The yellow is maybe too light, photos give it a more golden orangy yellow but I'm happy enough with it.

I used bronzed green, though the contrast makes it look very black.

Edited by Stebos

Starting to come together now:

mu2%204.jpg

Wings are on and the joints filled, all the major elements painted.

I was thinking of maybe trying a filter, like the armour guys do, to tone things down in a subtle way. Never used a filter before though.

It looks so weird all painted up like that with no meatballs.

I think any weathering you do will have to be very subtle - these birds are kept pretty clean, but just a hint of weathering should add to the realism factor.

It looks so weird all painted up like that with no meatballs.

I think any weathering you do will have to be very subtle - these birds are kept pretty clean, but just a hint of weathering should add to the realism factor.

Still pondering the weathering, the panel lines were raised and not very obvious, and with the paint even less noticable. That's why I was thinking of an filter to cut down the glare a tad.

Yellow I used was vallejo model air, it's nice not having to thin before spraying. Photos suggest a more orangy yolky yellow but I'm otherwise happy with it.

All finished!

Pics here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21927

The decaling was pretty stressful, there wasn't quite enough room for everything to fit on the top of the main plane.

I had my doubts over the large bird decals - so it proved to be. Even snipping them down to 4 or 5 sections didn't solve the problem of getting the thick decal to snug over the tricky curves. They split and broke and I had to cut slices through the crinkling bits.

With lots of micro sol they eventually behaved. Touched up with vallejo intense blue which luckily was an almost exact match. The 'feathers' over the rear planes are hand painted, as was the yellow canopy dashes as decals for those weren't provided.

The linear aerial thing broke into 3 bits on removing from the sprue, the plastic was so brittle even a fine razor saw didn't help me on that. You can just about see the joins if you look closely.

Can't say I really enjoyed building this one, the painting and decaling was such a pain.

Very pleased with the end result though.

Edited by Stebos

• 2 weeks later...