Moody Kemble

Bennygman

Headed down to Kemble on Sunday for my first air day in search of classic jets and to see if it lived up to it's reputation. Glad to say it did although the weather could have been better, but at least it didn't rain.

Classic jets I wanted , classic jets I got, and how...

IMG_7263.jpg

IMG_7189.jpg

IMG_7175.jpg

IMG_7138.jpg

They also put up a couple of formations to mark the celebration of Sir Frank Whittle...

PICT0012.jpg

PICT0055.jpg

The RAF role demo provided some more great Tornado opportunities...

IMG_7061.jpg

These were my favorite pics from the day - great light on the Extra...

IMG_6856bw.jpg

IMG_6893.jpg

Finally a small selection for Jen...looks like '886' has been working hard of late...

PICT0023.jpg

IMG_7098.jpg

IMG_7330.jpg

A good day out and not too much of a bother getting away and home. Definitely recommended for anyone interested in British aviation history.

Steve.

Awesome photography Steve :clap2: .....which lens was doing the stuff for you?

Did you get a shot of the Extra/glider ' mirror' pass...still can't believe that!

Cheers

Thanks Mike, I had a great time and thoroughly recommend it.

Rich, I got this one (not my greatest effort, but you can see what it is)...

IMG_7006.jpg

Quite glad they did it this time as I saw them practice it while heading for the loo at Biggin, then they scrubbed it from the display due to (I think) a comm's failure.

Main lens on the day was the 300 f4. Basically it's the only really decent one I have so it'll get used as much as possible. If you look at the pics here, they were all on this lens apart from the formations and the Herc' loading the landrover. I took Those with my girlfriend's Dynax 7D (which has a 70-300 zoom). Even with the small pics here I think you can see the superior quality of the Canon kit. The Dynax results are sharp enough and its a great backup, but the others look more 'natural', I guess due to higher resolution, better glass and maybe a better processor in the Canon?

Steve.

Thanks Mike, I had a great time and thoroughly recommend it.

Rich, I got this one (not my greatest effort, but you can see what it is)...

IMG_7006.jpg

Quite glad they did it this time as I saw them practice it while heading for the loo at Biggin, then they scrubbed it from the display due to (I think) a comm's failure.

Main lens on the day was the 300 f4. Basically it's the only really decent one I have so it'll get used as much as possible. If you look at the pics here, they were all on this lens apart from the formations and the Herc' loading the landrover. I took Those with my girlfriend's Dynax 7D (which has a 70-300 zoom). Even with the small pics here I think you can see the superior quality of the Canon kit. The Dynax results are sharp enough and its a great backup, but the others look more 'natural', I guess due to higher resolution, better glass and maybe a better processor in the Canon?

Steve.

Bloody fat fingers!

Thanks for the Extra shot Steve ....captured nicely and demonstrates the amazing display finale.

Sort of guessed it would be your new toy....it's a peach of a lens.

Nice pics Steve - you should have told me you were going we could have met up ;)

:oops::sorry:

(If anyone's wondering; we had arranged to meet up, but due to a SNAFU on my part, it didn't happen)

Steve.

Great pics ofthe show Steve - especially the Meatbox & Tiffie :thumbsup:

Question about the lens - do you think having a prime lens sometimes limits the shots that you can take because of the lack of zoom feature? That would be my main worry :hmmm: It certainly doesn't seem to have cramped your style on the day though... Were these shot in RAW or JPG? Any processing done on them?

Question about the lens - do you think having a prime lens sometimes limits the shots that you can take because of the lack of zoom feature? That would be my main worry :hmmm: It certainly doesn't seem to have cramped your style on the day though... Were these shot in RAW or JPG? Any processing done on them?

Well, I might struggle with the B-52 at Fairford! :lol:

Your point about the lack of a zoom is definitely worth thinking about before splashing out. The way I saw it was that any missed shots would be compensated by the improved quality of the ones I got (quality vs quantity). So far I think that's been the case, although the clown holding the camera is still the main limiting factor for me. I've noticed a definite improvement in the quality from the prime. The IS has definitely helped with sharpness and my % of 'keepers' has risen as a result, despite my continuing tendency to wave the camera around like a conductor's baton.

So far I've used it at Biggin and Kemble and I'd say that the only shots I'm missing are those directly in front of me on the runway, which tend not to be the most exciting angles anyway. By the time they are airborne and displaying the extra height means that even going past the camera most subjects will still fit in the frame. I have a theory that it's also forcing me to take more care over composition. In the past I would have recomposed using the zoom as something got nearer. Because I can no longer do that I think I'm concentrating more and holding the camera in a more stable position (by not adding the zoom motion into the equation - hope that makes sense)I have the Dynax to fall back on if I need a zoom, but eventually I'd like to get the 70-200 f2.8 as a partner, but that would mean a second body to go with it and I'd probably put me back out trying to carry it all.

Long story short, I'm glad I did it and for me I don't think it's a limitation for single aircraft, but it does make things difficult for display teams or formations. Not impossible mind, just difficult.

For displays I usually shoot in JPEG, for convenience (and maximum number of images on a card). A few weeks back I went to Coningsby and shot about 150 images In RAW which took me about two days to process. At Kemble I took about 400 (ish) and got through them all yesterday on my day off. On reflection Sunday was the kind of day when RAW is useful as the light was a bit of a 'mare, but to be honest I'm a bit too impatient for the results, so JPEG wins when I'm shooting in bulk.

Processing is generally some or all of;

Rotate image - for some reason I always have trouble with wonky horizons.

Levels adjustment - to make sure I have the full range from black to white covered.

Dust spot removal - funny one this, some shots look like a bad case of acne, others are spot-free. Can't quite understand that one. I either use the clone brush or healing tool.

Crop and resize - Usually for composition purposes to square up the subject or sometimes just to bring it closer and fill the frame. Some people get all excited about this but I think it's one of the best features of digital and nothing that photographer's haven't been doing in darkroom's for years, just like...

Dodge and burn - either using the dodge and burn tools or a selection, to bring out shadow detail or tone down a highlight.

Unsharp mask - to sharpen the image and make the details 'pop' (think of it as a photographic 'oil wash').

It sounds like a lot, but it gets easier with practice and it's all about improving the image. I certainly never add anything that wasn't there originally, but I have been known to remove the odd head or background distraction and more than one blue cone or rope has mysteriously vanished from a RIAT static shot.

If you've gotten to the end of this ramble - well done, I'm not sure I would have :D

Off to bed now - night, night.

Steve.

Just teasing Steve - maybe Waddington then? Which day you going - were doing the Sunday.

Would you believe it ... I'm there Friday and Saturday!

Maybe it's fate?

Plans for the rest of the year

Legends - Sat (+ maybe Sun, but only if I don't get decent shots of 'Glacier Girl' on the Sat')

RIAT - Fri-Mon

One of the Old Warden shows, and one of the Duxford ones (definitely if '558 is turning up at one of the later ones).

SMW - Sat.

Steve.

Looks like RIAT then Steve - you can buy me a beer ;)

It'll be my pleasure mate - but don't tell the others or they'll all want one! :drink:

Steve.

Great shots, set me thinking how long it will be before Hawks & Jaguars appear as "classic" aircraft at airshows....

Was discussing this at Kemble - Hawk's could be quite soon but Jags, never. Other than taxyable anyway - IMHO of course :D

Great stuff there Steve! Canberra shot's a winner for me.

RIAT - Fri-Mon

You doing FRIAT then Steve?

Hawk's could be quite soon but Jags, never.

There was talk last year of a T4 being operated privately, haven't heard anything of it recently. Can't say I'd be surprised if any Jags were operated privately for the MoD, like the Hunters.

You doing FRIAT then Steve?

Not this year, It'll be P&V East on Friday, general admission Sat/Sun and P&V West on Monday (as long as they're departing to the West). Tried P&V West for the first time last year and it was great with the stuff from the 'exotic' pan (Turks/Greeks) taxiing out nose-on and then side-on and then everything just about in range as they climbed out. Did the three days last year but thought I'd add on the Friday to save the long journey down on the main show days.

Have you had any experience of P&V East? I understand it can get a bit 'lively' down there :). Not sure what to expect so I'll get there early and see what happens. It'll be my first year for Waddo arrivals too, so quite an adventure in the next few weeks. All we have to do now is :pray: for the same weather as the last two years B)

Steve.

Have you had any experience of P&V East? I understand it can get a bit 'lively' down there :). Not sure what to expect so I'll get there early and see what happens.

If P&V East is the usual take off end (dont know runway No) then yes we have done that a couple of times - step ladders, step ladders, step ladders :angry:

Have you had any experience of P&V East? I understand it can get a bit 'lively' down there

Yup was in there for the Weds and Thurs arrivals last year. It's great for arrivals and good for any departure/taxiing shots if you can get near the taxiway. You'll have to get there early there though, alot of hardcores (especially them Dutch!) who get there uber early to grab a good spot. Friday isn't the busiest for arrivals though, usually get the last arrivals for the static as well as practice and validation displays.

cheers for the info Dean and Gary. This time around it's a bit of a recce' on the Friday (where would you rather be; work or RIAT?).

Might be interesting if the T-birds are practicing...I'll take whatever's going :)

Steve.