VERY CHEAP Acrylic Paint Remover FROM TESCOS

bexwh773

For some reason Vallejo did get removed second time around, maybe because the first brush I used was flimsy. So yeah, works wonders and leaves the plastic intact. And if you're using Tamiya paint, dissolves it almost instantly which is quite incredible. :)

• 7 months later...
Hi ya Gang,

For those who have a Tescos nearby, get yourself a bottle of TESCOS VALUE ALL PURPOSE CLEANER, it removes un varnished acrylic paint from models without causing damage, and its less that £1 a bottle for 750ml.

Lou slipped with paint onto her Spit canopy, I dunked it into a cup of the stuff with a dash of water, left it over night and her Tamiya Acrylic came off no probs, no scrubbing, no damage to clear canopy either. I dont know if it will go through any varnish, as I havent tried that yet or had a need too. I will have an exact price of the bottle this afternoon as Im off to get another bottle shortly then off to see the Old Man :worthy:

HTH

Bex

A great find, I have been trying to strip tamiya acrylic paint using oven cleaner of a P47 to no avail. It has had three doses and still big patches will not budge. Down to Tesco I think.

I have found that it takes Mr Hobby Aqueous off instantly! Revell Aqua took a little longer but no harm to the plastic. I think you will find that Tesco and Sainsbury brands are one and the same as I have used both. MODeller

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

If you want almost Instant removal including Varnish, Just spray on or apply with a wide Paintbrush "FAIRY POWER SPRAY" £3.00

Just removed all my BF 109 E4 Paint, and its all grey Plastic again, just wiped off with a damp soft Cloth.

Also have the cheap Tesco stuff, works as well but takes a lot longer and mine didn't touch Johnsons Klear Original Formula

HTH

• 2 weeks later...
for those without a Tesco nearby (about 4500 miles for me I would gather) you can always use Windex to remove acrylic paint. It will pull acrylics from styrene and resin and PE. Heck I clean my airbrush and paint brushes out with Windex. The amonia in there works wonders.

mike can iget windex in the uk cheers

• 4 months later...
Are We using this on Plastic model kit or Diecast to be sure

Ive not tried it on a die cast model, only plastic or resin :shrug:

Bexy

The stuff is awesome.

I stripped the underside of a 1:72nd Vulcan with it over the summer, which had been painted with several thick coats of Humbrol enamel back in 2003 (I was only thirteen-yeesh!). After probably a good week of soaking and scrubbing (with a scourer pad) nearly all the paint came off. Moreover, the enamel left in the cracks I couldn't reach with the scourer was left substantially softened even after the model was dried off, so is much easier to remove by scraping. Acrylic is much easier: the green coat on the top surfaces of the Vulcan (Humbrol acrylics of a similar age)

Since then I have done a Chipmunk (again painted about 8 years ago) with even greater success.

It doesn't touch the actual plastic, be it normal kit plastic or clear parts. I have yet to try it with resin, but the earlier pics seem to show that it is fine. The only paint that it cannot strip is that underneath glue spills from assembly: it has no effect on the glue.

For the Vulcan I stripped all extraneous parts off first, and filled a mug with the cleaner to strip those. The main fuselage/wings were too well stuck to separate, but I soaked them in a huge plant tray which was ample for the task.

Are We using this on Plastic model kit or Diecast to be sure

I haven't used this stuff, but if it's similar to Fairy Power Spray, just a warning about diecasts - don't leave them soaking in it too long!! As Fairy Power Spray is the same as this stuff in regard to the fact that it doesn't apparently attack plastic after a week or so, I assumed (yes I should know better!!) that it would have no effect on diecast metal after the same length of time. Wrong!! The pics below show some of the pitting that occured on the diecast body that had been in a bath of Fairy Power Spray for exactly the same length of time as a plastic one which was completely untouched!

Roofcorrosion.jpg

Roofcorrosionclose.jpg

004-6.jpg

Some of those pits were 2mm+ deep !! So there is obviously something in Fairy Power Spray that is very aggressive to one or more constituents of the diecast alloy, so it would be worth treating the Tesco stuff with some caution if using on diecasts, in case it has the same or similar formulation.

Keef

• 1 month later...

Re Fairy Power Spray -

It's very good at paint removal, but it also undoes glued joints as well!

I wasn't happy with the NMF (vallejo model air aluminium) on my Trumpeter Lightning F2, so I gave it a blast with the Fairy. The paint came off, albeit with a bit of scrubbing, but the wings also came away from the fuselage!! I didn't leave the Fairy on it for too long - 15 minutes max. I now use Superdrug Non Acetate Nail Varnish remover - good, but it needs help with an old toothbrush to get all the paint off ...

• 1 month later...

I agree this stuff works a treat! Tried a 50/50 mix of the sainsbury one with water, not i must add coz i'm too tight to be frivolous with the 26p, but more the 'prolonged contact with plastic' warning, anyhoo, after about 90 mins, huge areas of paint literally leapt of the plastic, one swipe with sponge side of green scrubby was all that was required for most areas, with toothbrush deployed for the areas with detail as paint particles tended to get bit clogged there.

I also disappeared for the weekend with pieces forgotten about and soaking for about 48hrs will no ill effects, apart from them being slippery little buggers when rinsing :D and certainly a refreshing zesty aroma beating other options :)

• 4 months later...
This be the stuff, both brands! MODeller

DSCF5447.jpg

An honourable mention also for ASDA All Purpose Liquid Cleaner, which comes in a bottle just like those ones! It costs 25p from our local suburban branch. The cleaner too off Plasticote spray enamel in a few minutes. It takes a bit longer with Humbrol gloss enamels, but it gets there after about 24 hours.

John

• Like 1

Guys my two pence worth on this is:Visit a printing press shop get the stuff they call flash cleaner it works well for airbrush cleaning and also enamel thining it smells a bit like turps but none of the nasty effects on the airbrush seals,it also looks a bit off you will see what I mean if you get a hold of the stuff colour wise .And as previously stated the best for paint removal is good old fashioned canned aerosol oven cleaner!

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...

i have about 150 dark elves of the GW breed i want to repaint some are the white metal they used to use will this method have any adverse effects on them or shoud i just update them to he newer plastic kits

Many thanks,

Mad Larkin

i have about 150 dark elves of the GW breed i want to repaint some are the white metal they used to use will this method have any adverse effects on them or shoud i just update them to he newer plastic kits

Many thanks,

Mad Larkin

Hi Mad, get them swimming in the stuff, tesco cleaner does not effect white metal at all & save your money for some additional members for your army! :thumbsup:

Mark D :winkgrin:

Thanks fazer this is good to know.

So went to sainsburys (other supermarkets are available) yesterday and picked up 2 litres of allnourpose cleaner and models have gone for a swim. Will check them in the morning that will give em 24 hours, hope they dont come out all pruneified. :)

Mad Larkin

Edited by Mad_Larkin