SH-60J Seahawk

dswoofie

A bit of an update...

I have a feeling that dust inside the fuselage will be a problem from rubbing down... not figured out how to avoid that yet as there are too many holes.

Karl.

Don't worry about it use your air brush (without paint) to blow it out afterwards, I do that all the time to get rid of dust.

Ted

Yes Ted, I did that to clear it out... I'm just hoping that the last bit of work didn't attract too much more as the whole thing is closed up now!

Right, here's some progress, ready for some paint at last...

3aac38e8.jpg

237c92f7.jpg

f55fae10.jpg

And then I laid on some Tamiya XF-2 and then added some shading and dirtying from the exhausts before the final white coat.

00262895.jpg

992cb2a3.jpg

e471ebe6.jpg

90163990.jpg

This'll all be toned right down with the final coat as these things always look clean. The exhaust dirt tends to be a slight discolouring, as if it's been washed off the shiny surfaces. Hope that it works once all the final coat is on!

I did find one other problem on the kit. The left hand pylon is fitted way too low on the fuselage. With this scheme the white and grey are separated where the pylon fits, but on the kit it is about 3mm too low so it would be well below the line. After some tugging and pulling and swearing and some other stuff, I finally got it off without causing too much damage. I've fitted it into its correct position now and sorted out the resulting damage. Hopefully there are no more problems towards the finish!

Karl.

Seems I've missed this one so far... corrected thanks to Mental mentioning how good it was looking. Gotta say I agree :) I was going to say that the pre-shade needs toning down, but I see you're going to do that anyway. Should make a good sturdy base for the yellowy bits too :thumbsup:

Right, a little more done...

Finished off the white, and toned down the shading to what I wanted. The Gull Grey underside is now added, and you can see from this pic that if the pylon was left 3mm lower, it would have fallen well below the colour split.

04c2c16e.jpg

Also added the Yellow strip on the tail, and here's the current position.

dfd26d69.jpg

9eca728b.jpg

Still working on some of the smaller parts that are still to add, and also got to do all of the black panels... ticking along nicely now though!

Karl.

OK, latest update...

I found out the other day that the underside of the SH-60 has the Japanese writing on it, as well as the aircraft number. The kit only gives you the roundel, so I needed to make some decals to fit the underside. Taking the artwork from the kit decals, these were re-sized and popped onto some decal paper.

c4d895e0.jpg

Here's the latest on the build, All decalled up, but there are still a few dark grey panels to be sprayed onto the top. Also some other work with smaller pieces to be attached.

005206d4.jpg

b317ca58.jpg

2308a6f1.jpg

And the new decals added...

c8dc9e0e.jpg

Still plodding onwards, the masking on the intakes and exhausts took me a while and slowed me up a bit!

Karl.

Looking fantastic Karl, the white looks beuatifully shaded and not overdone , exceptionally neat paintwork and masking too.

Really liking this :)

Thanks guys... no update pics but I thought I'd mention that I've added a small amount of exhaust staining onto it. First time I've done this with the airbrush, and I used a really, really thin mix of Tamiya XF-64 Red brown with some black. I was really nervous about doing this onto a white surface as it would have been so easy to over do it. Once I'd finished I'm more than happy with how it came out, looks really spot on with the reference pics, so I'm a happy bunny with that. Hopefully when I do the next shots I'll pick it out on there.

Just got some of the more fiddly bits to finish off tomorrow, and I'm there. I've kept saying it for the last few days that I'm almost finished, but I really do hope to finish it tomorrow now!

Karl.

Your progress as per the previous page is tremendous, Karl. I hope the rest of your build is proceeding as well and it sounds as though we won't have to wait long to find out......

Thanks for pointing out that the script (what I take to be the Kanji for JMSDF) is also placed on the underside; I've not noticed that elsewhere! All the best for what's left to do.

Cheers,

Andrew.

The white is subtly shaded I can assure you, it's just I've not messed with the white balance much to bring it out. When I do the final pics it will hopefully show up better. They are particularly clean most of the time, which is why it is so soft on there. If you're at Yeovilton, it'll be on the table as part of the display for this GB so come and have a look.

Karl.