Mitsubishi F-1 (Hasegawa 1:48) Now with paint and decals!! :)

AnonymousER99

Thanks Rich!! I am relatively happy with the model so far. I was really impressed witht he wing fit but those intake vents are horrible not to mention how they make the insides of the intakes look. I am going to be fitting covers on mine I think!!

So, anyone kow a good source for some good daylight lamps?? I need some BAD!!!

Hi mike the lights your looking for is called an OTT LITE they have a web site and the address is www.ott-lite.com

• 1 month later...

Well I was hoping to have this little beastie painted by now but life, lack of time and other responsibilities have prevent that. Last night, I took the night off from Two Mikes to concentrate on prepping this thing for paint. Most of the evening was spent rubbing the kit down, replacing lost panel lines and adding all the little stuff to the airframe like vents, scoops and strakes.

I do have a dilema or two though. First, should I pose it with the speedbrakes open for visual interest?? What should I add for stores other than the wing tanks?? Ideas??

This kit is not meant to be a contest winner, rather a canvas for my Harder and Steenbeck Infinity airbrush's first real project. I cleaned up all of the seams that are visible but havent gone wild on detailing. Tonight it will get the obligitory panel line black out in prep for paint. It WILL have paint on it by Friday!!

Anyway, enough rambling here are the pics. (PS Phreak I dont intend on dropping this one!!)

F-1Model014.jpg

F-1Model012.jpg

F-1Model011.jpg

F-1Model009.jpg

F-1Model008.jpg

F-1Model007.jpg

F-1Model006.jpg

F-1Model005.jpg

last of them...

F-1Model004.jpg

F-1Model003.jpg

F-1Model002.jpg

F-1Model001.jpg

Your primer has brought out some nice surface detail there, Mister. What primer is it?

That is Mister Surfacer 1000 in a spray bomb. The detail is nice sure but overall this isnt one of Hasegawas Star kits! Also note the main gear doors are tacked on for paint but they do fit like :shit: anyway.

Overall I would rate this kit a 5 out of 10. The fit while not terrible is pretty bad in places.

That is Mister Surfacer 1000 in a spray bomb. The detail is nice sure but overall this isnt one of Hasegawas Star kits! Also note the main gear doors are tacked on for paint but they do fit like :shit: anyway.

Overall I would rate this kit a 5 out of 10. The fit while not terrible is pretty bad in places.

5 out of 10! :blink:

I thin thats a bit harsh. I would have said a 7 or 8. Thing I don't understand is the INCONSISTENCY with regard to the details. Some parts are spot on and totally beautiful while others are extremely Trumpeter-ish. The undercarriage and wheels and canopy and lots n lots of other little bits really are extremely nice- 9 out of 10 country, but then the main airframe has some definite issues with soft/exaggerated panel lines, less that optimal fit, and so on. However, I would have to rate this kit an 8, or a waste case 7.5

Mine is getting on towards the paint shop, in fact quite a lot of fiddly bits have already been painted. I haven't used that blacking the panel lines technique- but is on my list of things to try. I'm looking at getting this painted as soon as the next engine job is done, and the F-16 is sorted, so abotu 2 weeks I reckon. I dropped the leading edge slats, well, I have v=cut a lot of stuff off but not reattached any of it yet. Just need some decals :)

5 out of 10! :blink:

I thin thats a bit harsh. I would have said a 7 or 8. Thing I don't understand is the INCONSISTENCY with regard to the details. Some parts are spot on and totally beautiful while others are extremely Trumpeter-ish. The undercarriage and wheels and canopy and lots n lots of other little bits really are extremely nice- 9 out of 10 country, but then the main airframe has some definite issues with soft/exaggerated panel lines, less that optimal fit, and so on. However, I would have to rate this kit an 8, or a waste case 7.5

Mine is getting on towards the paint shop, in fact quite a lot of fiddly bits have already been painted. I haven't used that blacking the panel lines technique- but is on my list of things to try. I'm looking at getting this painted as soon as the next engine job is done, and the F-16 is sorted, so abotu 2 weeks I reckon. I dropped the leading edge slats, well, I have v=cut a lot of stuff off but not reattached any of it yet. Just need some decals :)

Yep 5 out of 10!! Sorry to say I really think this kit is a stinker compared to the likes of the A-4. Its more along the lines of the Harrier which is an abysmal assembly.

The intakes on the F-1/T-2 are nothing short of a joke and the cockpit detail is terrible. I am also baffled by the inconsistent panel line details which is very unusual for Hasegawa. Dont get me wrong, I do agree some parts are wonderful like the landing gear, pylons etc but others just fall totally short of the mark. The nose cone is also tricky for those thinking of this one.

My biggest issue is that this is a Japanese jet that they could have done so much better, like the T-4 which is beautimous!! I just think they missed the mark on it but, it is still fun to build so there!! :)

OK, well after my initial airbrush disaster I finally was able to get my preshade on the kit as well as the bottom painted up. The Preshade is Tamiya NATO Black with a touch of white so its not so stark and the underside is FS36440 Gunze Laquer as recommended by Platz. I ten to trust Platz's color call outs over Hasegawas for some reason and they look spot on compared to my refs in Koku Fan.

Anyway, Sorry for the crap pics. I shot them in low light and on the run before heading to work today. Didnt want everyone to think I gave up on this one :)

Also, if you see what appear to be pencil lines, they are. I drew my demarcation lines on the model so I can begin masking (blue tac) and painting the top colors tonight. I will say I loathe aircraft whose top colors roll under the wing leading edges!! What a pain to mask and paint!!!

WOW does it look FUGLY HUH??!!!

MyF-1005.jpg

I let a few niggles go as the deadline approaches and I never intended this guy to win any contests. It was only meant to get me back to the bench again and it has served its purpose well.

MyF-1006.jpg

MyF-1004.jpg

MyF-1003.jpg

MyF-1001.jpg

MyF-1002.jpg

Well I was finally able to lay down the base topside colors over the past couple of days. All colors are Gunze Laquers and sprayed with my new Harder and Steenbeck Infinity airbrush. I did the camo freehand and while reasonably pleased with it so far, I do have some overspray bits to clean up. This is my first paint job with the Gunze laquers and my H&S airbrush so there are some teething issues. I have not yet found the "sweet spot" on the airbrush to get a tight line like I can with my trusty old Iwata. I can get a reasonably tight line but not like a pencil like I am used to. I am also having issues with a bit of splatter from time to time. That may be down to improper thinning of the paint. Its still in trial and error mode and once I get it down I will surely be happy. The laquers dont mix like the acrylics do. My rule of thumb with gunze acrylics are 2 parts paint, one part thinner and sprayed at 20 psi. That simply didnt work at all on my first try with the laquers. The paine splattered pretty bad with that method. I do recommend Mister Leveling Thinner 400 for your laquers, it really aids in the smoothness of the paint.

Also, I ran into issues on the camo pattern itself. I was using the platz decal instructions as a guide and they have the colors reversed from the Hasegawa instructions (on the two greens) and my pics seem to also disagree with both. In the end I went with a smattering of all three. Is it entirely accurate in pattern?? Not even close but I like the look of it and have no intentions of redoing it. I will simply tighten ip some lines and get it finished. Sad to say it wont make the deadline in 5 days. :(

Anyway here are the pics

MyF-1013.jpg

MyF-1021.jpg

MyF-1020.jpg

MyF-1019.jpg

MyF-1016.jpg

MyF-1015.jpg

MyF-1014.jpg

Come on Mike, it's an easy finish from there! :D

I think you'll find with the Gunze laquers that your paint thinner ratio will be closer than 2:1 thinners to paint than the other way around. I use normal cellulose thinners in mine and mix it in the cup (no idea of actual ratio) but it is mostly thinners. The amazing thing with them is that even when they are that thinned they still cover really well, aprt from the stink they are easily the best model paint I've used.

The forum will be nice and quiet this weekend, go lock yourself in the model room and get it done :thumbsup:

Jen.

Don't give up on this one Mike... you can make it to the finishline on time. Get it on man! :partytime:

Are you casting Hannants order then???? :analintruder:

I have been playing painter again tonight and am a LOT happier. We will see how she turns out.

Cheers to all going to Telford!! Have a load of fun!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I managed to do some paint touch ups and get a gloss coat of Model Master Metalizer Sealer on. Once it dried, I decided it was time for decals!! This has to be my favorite part of the build as it really adds life to the model. I used soe F-1 markings from Platz Decals and I cant say enough about the quality of these decals!! Thin enough to conform and thin enough to really sink into panel lines and rivet detail. They work beautifully with the Microscale system as well. I also did a subtle wash on the upper panel lines with Promodelers excellet dark wash. I love that stuff and I noticed in a couple of pics a few places I need to go in with a Q Tip and clean it out. Man the camera sure brings ot things your eyes seem to miss doesn't it?? :shithappens:

One issue I have that I cant be bothered to change is that my red warning strip cae out a bit crooked up over the top of the vertical stab. I swear it was straight when i set the model down after the decaling session!! :analintruder: I also have a spot or two to fix on the alclad in the engine area as well as the white in the gear bays. All in all not a lot of difficult issues to fix.

Nex its the fial details like landing gear, some more oil, fuel and hydraulic stains and a final flat coat. I have the canopy and widscreen all finished up as well and am happy to report that this kit can be built with the windscreen added after assembly. Mine fit perfect during my build up hence why its not installed while painting. Oh, I also have to do the black on the canopy sills and rear decking as well as a slight touch up of the anti glare panel. One note, what looks like missing paint on the anti glare panel is actally a stencil.

So here it is now. Not my best effort but for not having finished a model since July 2005, I can't really complain too much. Final stretch now!!

057-3.jpg

058-3.jpg

059-3.jpg

060-3.jpg

061-3.jpg

063-3.jpg

064-3.jpg

065-3.jpg

066-3.jpg

067-3.jpg

068-3.jpg