Revell's Antonov AN124

Hi all in model building world.

Here's a little question for you all. :shocked:

In all of the forums that I'm a member of, I have not seen any threads where someone has built one of Revells Antonov AN124 kits.

Am I the only person building one???? :banghead:

Has anyone else on this either built one or is building one now?

Or am I the only person mad enough to do it!!! :banghead:

HI Ed

I'm doing the HeavyLift scheme. Might use the Christmas Charity badges, though Revell got the year wrong. 82045 stopped using the HeavyLift livery in 2000, so the instructions are wrong. The plane's also being built with both doors open and kneeling. The main painting has been done and I'm on the decal stage. Advance warning for anyone planning to build one of these. The main wings have 252 individual decals each one. Yes...that's correct 252. And the instruction sheets even got them wrong too.

I've painted the wings and fuselage seperately for ease. Makes the decal fitting easier too.

Well, here's a link the the page on my website with some photo's of this one. I need to take some more soon and add them to it.

http://www.micksmodelling.michaellomax.co.uk/wip06.html

I have one in my stash, which I am hoping to build after I move house in a couple of months' time. Not sure which one to do yet, Polet, Volga Dnepr or Soviet Air Force. I will be watching yours with interest.

Dave

Hi All

Thanks for that link Ed, haven't come across that site before. Great photo's that I could of done with earlier.

Well, here's a earlier photo of the build, all the later ones are on the laptop so will need to be uploaded later. I'll try and take some new photo's on the completed wing with ALL of those "BL###Y DECALS" on it and stick them up.

This one is when the wings had just been primered.

AN124-w1.jpg

I've got one of these part built, and kinda lost interest!! Will get round to finishing it one of these days. Even bought a Revell 1/144 Apache to have partially dismantled being hauled into the nose!

Eng

I was dreading the decal stage right from the start, thinking what have I done to voluntee to build this kit. But once you start, it's not to bad. Mind you, I've not assembled the wings to the fuselage yet. I thought it would make it easier for painting and adding the decals owing to the size of the model.

Mick

A bit more work done today, and just took some photo's quickly. Having to finish up some painting on the fuselage before I continue with the decals on it.

AN124_WIP_A01s.jpg

Yes, they're all individual decals on this wing. Total 252 and about 3 hours work.

AN124_WIP_A02s.jpg

AN124_WIP_A03s.jpg

AN124_WIP_A04s.jpg

The kits decal had the Volga-Denpa on both engine cowls, but on photo's that I found, it was only on the outer engine.

AN124_WIP_A05s.jpg

AN124_WIP_A06s.jpg

AN124_WIP_A07s.jpg

I have a freind who built this and it truly is a beast. by the wya..he left most of the decals off!!!

If you are looking for some reference photos..try here.

Sean

I'd have probably done the same. Some stencils I don't add as to me they can be a little too intrusive when viewing the model at distance, they often don't blend away as they would in reality.

That one's definitely just an hour here or there job to save sanity.

Hi All

They keep changing the marking on the cowls. Some have names on all cowls, then some have them on the outer only of just the inner. Sometime they have no name at all.

RA-82045 whilst in HeavyLift/Volga-Dnepr livery, had the name on all cowls in 1999. But I'm building mine based on this photo below which I think is in 2000. Need to find the original again for the details.

RA-82045SideView.jpg

But here's a site with the same aircraft in 1999 at Woodford delivering a Nimrod fuselage.

http://www.edendale.co.uk/124/WFD.1.html

I will update on the date when I find it.

As to adding all of the decals, this model is part of a club display project for the Nationals at Telford. The other thing, is that I've got to write a review for magazine on the kit too. So this is something new to me.

Mick

is it possible that they have a large number of engine covers, some with the writing, some with out... and hey jsut get swapped around when in maintenance??

it seems like a large waste of money to keep repainting something as minor as an engine cover :banghead:

Sean