This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mike

Pictures in threads

Mike    10,668

Photo Threads

I've noticed that there's a growing trend of people posting their photos in "parts", i.e. part 1, part 2, part 3, etc. I don't know about you lot, but I find this a bit annoying on two fronts. For one it clogs up the View New Posts listing & pushes other threads off the front page :hmmm: The second reason is that we might not see ALL of the photos, as we may not see all of the threads :doh:

I viewed Robban's thread this morning, and he's got the method down pat.... post your first bunch of pics in the thread, then immediately posting the next batch in the same thread. That way everyone can see all the pics in one place, without hunting through the whole forum.... make sense? If you think you might be jumping in too soon with a reply, check the bottom of the thread, and if the original poster is italicised and with a dotted underline, it means he's posting some more. It'd also be helpful if the OP would put a comment such as "More to come" at the bottom of his unfinished thread.

Robban - sorry for picking you out for praise matey ;)

Picture size...

Posting too big a picture in a thread is a pain, as it breaks the format of the thread window, forcing people to scroll horizontally... it makes the threads difficult to read, especially if you've only got a smallish screen resolution. Out of courtesy for other users, could people keep their pics to 1280 pixels wide by a maximum of 850 px please? If people want higher resolution pics, they could ask the OP for copies :) 1280 px will allow space for the borders and the poster's details column, without making it difficult to use on a 1080p screen. That might change as we start to see the UHD screens appear, but it's fair cater to the (by now) lowest common denominator. My screen res is 1080p across in the house, and 1280 px pic works nicely, without being too small on any larger screens.

Quoting and Pictures...

Quoting a post and repeating all of the pictures is annoying when scrolling through a thread, especially for those members using tablets or smart phones.  If you are going to quote a post, please remove the repeated photos, its the polite thing to do.

Thanks for listening :)

Greg B    1,191

Spent a couple of minutes merging threads to tidy them up! If you wonder where the posts are, they all go into one in chronological order.

bexwh773    11

Ow do Boss,

good thinking, also keeping them all in one thread saves members having to go hunting for the parts if theyre lazy like me and just normally use the "View new posts" option :lol:

Bex

AnonymousAA72    1,220

Yeah, what they all said.....AND.....how about when hitting the "Add Reply" photo's aren't copied over! Nowt worse than scrolling down posts to see photo's from the original post copied again and again and taking ages to load.....

tedtaylor    2
Yeah, what they all said.....AND.....how about when hitting the "Add Reply" photo's aren't copied over! Nowt worse than scrolling down posts to see photo's from the original post copied again and again and taking ages to load.....

yes got to agree that is a pain, I just delete them from the original quote.

I also keep my pics at 10 inches wide at 72 DPI which fits nicely,

for those who don't know 72 DPI =1inch.

Antoine    1,245

Ok, advice taken.

I'm one of the trouble makers, posting pics in 1024...

Will post in 800 from now on.

Dave T    57

Mike,

If you use Photobucket and insert an image via HTML code, i notice it too produes a whopper of a picture that means scrolling side to side.

Any advice on how Photobucket users can show an image that's reasonably proportioned ?

Murdo    671

If you use M$ Image re-sizer (which is a free download) you have about three options for pic size, one of which is Medium = 800 x 600. This program will also reduce a 3Mb pic to about 80Kb without losing resolution.

Definitely worth getting. :speak_cool:

Muller    10

I take my model pics with my 8meg camera set on 3meg, the pic sizes are around 1.5Mb, I rezize them with MS paint by 50% and it reduces the file size to 70-80kb without losing resolution. Uploading times to photobucket are greatly reduced and pages with my pics on the forum load a lot quicker.

Any resizing will change the resolution of the image, if you change the amount of pixels used in the image you change its resolution.

If you reduce the amount of pixels used in an image you reduce its quality.

800 wide seems a happy medium on most forums these days, less than that and you might as well not bother because its so small its hard to see anything at all.

Mike    10,668

Another good point made by Ted & Bill there... when you click reply to a post, and all you've got to say is "nice pics", it might be as well not to quote the post & thereby duplicate the pics, unless you're planning on making a comment that might make more sense with the pic nearby.

It's easy to edit quotes to remover bits, as long as you leave the [ quote ] [ /quote ] tags intact when you do (Chris! :lol: ). Most tags in quotes come in pairs, with the opening one in square brackets, and the closing one with a forward slash (/) in square brackets, as seen in the quote example. A bit of common sense applied to the editing can turn a post into a more informative, more targetted post that's much more likely to get your point across :)

nodrog2    0
Another good point made by Ted & Bill there... when you click reply to a post, and all you've got to say is "nice pics", it might be as well not to quote the post & thereby duplicate the pics, unless you're planning on making a comment that might make more sense with the pic nearby.

It's easy to edit quotes to remover bits, as long as you leave the [ quote ] [ /quote ] tags intact when you do (Chris! :lol: ). Most tags in quotes come in pairs, with the opening one in square brackets, and the closing one with a forward slash (/) in square brackets, as seen in the quote example. A bit of common sense applied to the editing can turn a post into a more informative, more targetted post that's much more likely to get your point across :)

Hi! Mike I am what you might consider to be a newbie, so I am afraid I may make a few mistakes from time to time, in my postings please let me know where I am going wrong so I can rectify it.

regards Nodrog2 ( Gordon)

Greg B    1,191
Hi! Mike I am what you might consider to be a newbie, so I am afraid I may make a few mistakes from time to time, in my postings please let me know where I am going wrong so I can rectify it.

regards Nodrog2 ( Gordon)

No problems, if you read the FAQ area it will help you out with getting to know the nuances ;)

OF course, the alternative is to do what I do - post my photos on my personal web-space and then put a link in to my posts for folks to click on - that way, posts don't become too large and all the photos are in one place and in sequential /chronological order.

:guitar:  :guitar:  :guitar:  :guitar:

Paul J    5,257

Agree. But I think I have been doing it this anyway. ( I may have strayed an odd occasion though). Out of habit after doing a few GBs the same way.

Murdo    671

Oops!

Mods, I've just posted build pics of an Airfix 1/72 Gazelle. Are they too big?

Paul J    5,257

Incidentally, I alwyas tend to resize my pics to 640 x 480 on PB and / or what ever photo host site I decide to use. Does that fall in with requirements here? They show up as reasonable to me.

Texian    13

Photobucket users can simply select the thumbnail image. Each image has an option for different postings or a number of images can be selected for a single link set for all rendered.

That lets a poster put any number of images in their post and the reader can make them out readily enough and still have the option of enlarging any images they want to see in more detail.

Example... (images are of a Stearman's lycoming engine and my modifications to a Linberg PT17 kit's engine. That actually makes the kit a PT13 if you want to get technical. It isn't finished here yet either.)

th_Lycoming%20radial%20a-c%20engine_zpsq th_Model%20Lycoming%20kit%20part%201_zps th_Clipboard_zps9oyd9kf6.jpg

Edited by Texian

Mike    10,668

Updated to the current de rigeur resolution of 1080p - 1920 x 1080 px.  How time marches on :)