BAe Hawks

Andy Mullen

• 11 months later...

These are really fantastic Andy. The attention to detail is superb & has me reaching for references (i.e. I never noticed the difference in bumper & ventral antennae colour on the RAFAT schemes before now). I particularly like the lighting effects.

One thing that looks a little odd to my eye is the shape of the nose light (which looks a bit "pointy" to me), though this could just be my screen resolution.

But like I said - terrific stuff.

Thanks for the compliments. :cheers:

Neil: I agree on the canopy glass, it seems I applied the wrong blending method to that layer. I will be correcting it.

No market is intended - I generate them as and when I get new decals, and intend on building said scheme.

Kirk: Another point picked up, the nose light shape will also be corrected.

The original line art for this profile was done back in 2003, and I don't seem to have kept the original scans I based it on. I shall be looking through my references and the web for further info.

Great stuff Andy. How about a series of profiles of Hawker Siddeley/BAe's demonstrator G-HAWK/ZA101 in its various guises?

Now, who's going to be the first to produce decals for the Saudi Hawks in 1/48th?

Please keep your excellent Hawk artwork coming.

Phil.

Much improved! (Did someone say more Airfix than Italeri? :winkgrin:)

Do you draw all those squadron crests from scratch? If not, what't the process?

I'll second the G-HAWK series plea; It spent some time as a sales demonstrator for the US Navy trainer (that resulted in the Goshawk) in a grey/white/black fin tip scheme that I've not seen available in the aftermarket. Perhaps Phil knows the significance of the big "243" numerals it had on the fuselage sides at the time? Anyway, it would make a great profile...

Much improved! (Did someone say more Airfix than Italeri? :winkgrin: )

I'll second the G-HAWK series plea; It spent some time as a sales demonstrator for the US Navy trainer (that resulted in the Goshawk) in a grey/white/black fin tip scheme that I've not seen available in the aftermarket. Perhaps Phil knows the significance of the big "243" numerals it had on the fuselage sides at the time? Anyway, it would make a great profile...

I think "243" was applied for the Paris air show. When I can sort out the Union Flag on the fin and the "British Aersopace HAWK" lettering under the cockpit, I shall finish an Airfix 1/48 T1 in that grey/white USN type scheme.

Getting back to your profiles Andy, I hadn't realised that the 2008 Red Arrows scheme included changed white stripes on the forward fuselage. One tiny thing Andy, could you maybe include the air & ground crew names painted in small white lettering under the windscreen on the port side?

Phil.

Glad you are liking them - about halfway through the Xtradecal X72-095. :)

PHIL B said:
Great stuff Andy. How about a series of profiles of Hawker Siddeley/BAe's demonstrator G-HAWK/ZA101 in its various guises?

I will add them to my ever growing list to do :)

Kirk said:

The base graphic was drawn up a while back....

RAF_000_Squadron_600.png

and I add the squadron graphics using the largest and sharpest image I can find on the web.

Sometimes though you just have draw the graphics from scratch as in the 207 Badge

RAF_207_Squadron_600.jpg

PHIL B said:
One tiny thing Andy, could you maybe include the air & ground crew names painted in small white lettering under the windscreen on the port side?

Phil, if I can find the correct names for the two versions I have, I shall add them. If not I will have to "xxx" them. One point to raise - none of the Airfix kits, or any of the aftermarket decal sheets have them included.

Edited by Andy Mullen
updated image links

Phil, if I can find the correct names for the two versions I have, I shall add them. If not I will have to "xxx" them. One point to raise - none of the Airfix kits, or any of the aftermarket decal sheets have them included.

You're right Andy. I was hoping Airfix would include them on their new 1/48th RA sheet but apparently not. They are rather tiny though. The only 1/48th AM sheet I know of was given away with Finescale Modeller but as you say, it doesn't have the names either. I guess 1/72 is simply too small for them.

I haven't yet found any resource which shows which aircraft is allocated to which team member. I understand they are rotated to even out fatigue life but I don't know whether that happens during a season. Pilot's and Circus member's names are easy to find on the RA's website or Sky-flash.com but that's all I know. I'm sure there are many BMers who know this stuff much better than me.

This might help though:

Reds and Blues 2003

Phil.

Phil,

According to someone I know "in the know", an individual a/c was NORMALLY allocated to a single pilot for the season although as you suggest, substitutions and swaps took place in season for operational reasons. A person to ask would be "Turnerdad" - his bro has the red stick wiggler coveralls...

Might also be worth emailing the PR people at Scampton if you're after precise crew/aircraft/year info; they're ridiculously helpful despite being very busy.

Please post if you find the answers - I too would be interested. I've often wondered if there are personal privacy issues associated with providing this info.

Kirk

Thanks for the link Phil, I have found a lot of useful photos and info on there. Kirk, after looking at the photos, the names will be so small on the profiles, that for now I will just add names I can glean from them. :cheers:

What programs do you use? not Illustrator right?

I generally start off by generating the original line art in AutoCAD (trained as a CAD man on leaving the Army), and then transferred to Photoshop, via Illustrator, for "colouring in" :)

Heres a post on the early version of how I create my profiles >> linky <<

Nice profiles! However regarding XX195, 63 Squadron was based at RAF Chivenor in 1986 - not RAF Brawdy, also the 1 TWU nose crests were removed when 63 Squadron moved from RAF Brawdy to RAF Chivenor in 1980.

[quote

I generally start off by generating the original line art in AutoCAD (trained as a CAD man on leaving the Army), and then transferred to Photoshop, via Illustrator, for "colouring in" :)

"Colouring in"? Wow Andy, I could never get my felt tip pens to produce that kind of work. ;)

Phil

Nice profiles! However regarding XX195, 63 Squadron was based at RAF Chivenor in 1986 - not RAF Brawdy, also the 1 TWU nose crests were removed when 63 Squadron moved from RAF Brawdy to RAF Chivenor in 1980.

Thanks for that info, I was just going with the info on the decal sheet. I shall correct it this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...