RoCAF F-20 Tigershark

100_0781.jpg

Here we are, my second build since returning to modelling as a hobby last July. Subject is a Republic of China F-20 Tigershark, Taiwan did seriously look into buying the Tigershark in the Eighties but Washington blocked the deal to avoid offending Beijing....

100_0783.jpg

Kit is the 1/72 Hasegawa Tigershark and virtually fell together with only bit of filler required, the decals are a mix of the Hase decals and some Italeri RoCAF decals from a Mirage 2000-D. The camo is per the painting instructions for the Mirage 2000-D, two tone grey hard edged camo.

100_0782.jpg

The base is a cheap photoframe and a powerpoint slide of some images of unit badges and the Tigershark.

100_0779.jpg

Any and all criticism would be welcomed, I am new back to the modelling lark after 15 years away and the only way I can improve is if I get honest feedback from you folks.

cheers

O.K.

Looking good OK! :thumbsup:

Very plausible whiffer too :D

Any and all criticism would be welcomed, I am new back to the modelling lark after 15 years away and the only way I can improve is if I get honest feedback from you folks.

Hmmmm... :tumble:

Oh, you might want to pick out the gun-barrels in another colour, gunmetal or something. Also (and I'm not totally sure whether {<--how the devil do you spell that word!?} it's to do with the lighting) you should make sure that the dark grey covers fully, it looks like the light grey (or plastic) is showing through.

By the way, just because I can see some possible issues, it doesn't mean I'm better!

:viking:

Hi OK,

Let me chime in with a "well done" too. It's a difficult process to re-join the hobby after a long time away. I think I was away for 20+ years, and when I returned, I floundered around for almost a year not completing anything, because in my usual style, I wanted to run before I could walk. It was Nigel (Cop) that told me to just do a kit out of the box (OOB), and that led to the true re-birth of me as a modeller.

Use this site as your sounding board for any new ideas you have, and pick up hints & tips from other modellers. I did, and found it immensely helpful. :) Here's a few well intentioned tips for you to improve your next kit.

• To make your canopy extra clear, before you paint it, dip it in Johnson's Klear (an Acrylic floor polish available from most supermarkets), put it on a piece of kitchen towel with a cocktail stick to prop one edge up, and cover it with a clear cup. After 24 hours, it'll be fully dry & ready for use. If you stuff up the painting of the canopy, you should be able to strip the paint & the Klear off with some ammonia based cleaner like Windolene, or another soak in a bath of Klear.
  • If you're brush-painting your models, thin the paint a little & paint it with a few thin coats until it's opaque. An airbrush will really take your painting to the next level, but one step at a time is the best way ;)
  • For most models, a final coat of matt or semi-gloss varnish will make any blemishes less obvious, and make the model look more "scale". It also protects the decals from peeling off.

Just a few things that sprang to mind, and I hope you find them useful ;)

Thanks for the tips and feedback folks :thumbsup2:

Yeah, I know about Johnsons, but I clean forgot to do it when building this one, I did use satin varnish at first then sealed in the decals with a top coat of matt varnish but for some reason the finish still seems too gloss. :shithappens:

I stirred paints and varnishes thoroughly, looking closely at the model I can see that the dark grey does look uneven and blotchy, oh well - live and learn eh!

The canopy did look nice and clear when I first completed the build, then I took the model to display at this Thursday's Bolton IPMS meeting! While getting the box it was in out of my car, a rouge gust of wind ripped the box from my hands and flung it across the car park :bristow::o:angry::(:crying:

The canopy took a battering and is scratched and grazed from the tarmac, I'll have to get round to buffing the scratches out.

Cheers

O.K.

Nice scheme. I can't look at F-20 these days without feeling a tinge of sadness at what was clearly shaping up to be a very capable and effective fighter aircraft was never given a chance.

I hear lots of nice words about the Hasegawa kit, its one on my wants list for a while.

Nicely done Overkiller! Het dit lang gevat?

Nie Damian, nie te lank nie. Ek het vroeg in Mei begin, en ek was vir twee weke in Mei op vakansie in Tunisia! Die Hasegawa modell is n maaklike modell om te boue. Jy moet my verskoen as enige van my Afrikaans verkeerd is, dit is jare laas seidert ek Afrikaans gepraat het, en my eerste taal is Engels.

For the benefit of those who don't "DO" Afrikaans, I said:

No Damian, it didn't take too long, I started early in May, and I took two weeks vacation in Tunisia in May! The Hasegawa kit is an easy model to build. You must forgive me if any of my Afrikaans is wrong, as its years since I last spoke any Afrikaans, and English was always my first language.

cheers

O.K.

Nice scheme. I can't look at F-20 these days without feeling a tinge of sadness at what was clearly shaping up to be a very capable and effective fighter aircraft was never given a chance.

I hear lots of nice words about the Hasegawa kit, its one on my wants list for a while.

The Hase kit is an absolute peach! :wub: It more or less falls together and the fit is very good, the only real problem area was getting the LERX/Intake join right, the LERX has a tendency to want to pop out of alignment before the glue sets so it takes a bit of "persuasion" to get it to sit right. I also found the undercarriage, though simple, to be a bit fiddly, especially if you are like me and have two left hands and sausage fingers coated in bacon butty grease! :lol:

I enjoyed building the Tigershark so much I have got myself another one. This one will probably end up being kit-bashed, I am toying with a navalized version.... :hmmm:

cheers

O.K.

Edited by Overkiller

Nie Damian, nie te lank nie. Ek het vroeg in Mei begin, en ek was vir twee weke in Mei op vakansie in Tunisia! Die Hasegawa modell is n maaklike modell om te boue. Jy moet my verskoen as enige van my Afrikaans verkeerd is, dit is jare laas seidert ek Afrikaans gepraat het, en my eerste taal is Engels.
Don't worry, D's Afrikaans isn't all that great, he's just showing off!

-so am I by the way ;)

Edited by hatchet

Cool Build and must say cool Language I'd love to learn that

Cool Build and must say cool Language I'd love to learn that

Learn Dutch - Afrikaans is more or less a dialect :)

Kinda like Norwegian (Bokmål) is more or less a dialect of Danish, right Kyrre? :lol:

Kinda like Norwegian (Bokmål) is more or less a dialect of Danish, right Kyrre? :lol:

I think I can sense a Nordic cat fight in the making here! :lol:

Don't worry Mike they'll still vote for each other at Eurovision :analintruder:

Well - only if we make it past the semis :analintruder:

We don't always vote for each other - both Norway and Denmark have gotten 0 points :guitar: