F-14A VF-84, last change...

AWWW NOOOO!!! :wall: Jolly Rogers AGAIN!!!

Honza - no offence meant :lol: , it would still be an amazing build if you painted it in chocolate and called it a cake, it's certainly one to be proud of! Looking forward to seeing it finished.

:thumbsup: Al

Bex it's because one nozzle cools down quicker than the other mate.

Thats why one nozzle is fully open and the other is closed.

Close Daz! It's actually because they are hydraulically opened on engine shutdown, but because the last engine to be shut down shuts off the associated hydraulic pump, there isn't the hydraulic pressure to fully open it, so it "freezes" in the idle position.

Or something like that, i might have it the wrong way round!

EDIT: I was half right - it's to do with the afterburner / flight controls hydraulics systems which are powered by the left and right engines respectively. The nozzles functions on the ground are controlled by the air/ground system (weight-on-wheels switch). The nozzles are driven to fully open on the ground with both hydraulics systems operating. When the right engine is shut down, the nozzles remain open, but when the left engine is shutdown, the loss of residual pressure in the flight hydraulics system causes the nozzle to close. So on the ground you should usually see the left nozzle closed and the right one open - looks like Honza got it spot on (like the rest of his amazing build!)

Edited by PHaTNesS

Why? it's a totally obscure piece of aviation geekdom that none of us should admit to knowing!! :banghead::nerd:

:rofl: Good one Al, makes this superb build even more authentic, like it alot :worthy: Thanks for answer the question gents :thumbsup2:

Bex

And I always thought the Hasegawa instructions had it that way so that you could decide which one you wanted to model - DOH :doh: