1/48 FW 190A-4

Gary C

Haven't posted anything in a while so here's the current distraction. Hasegawa's retool of the old Dragon kit in the 'Priller' rebox, nice easy build, OOB, the only thing I'll add will be some etch seatbelts when I put the seat in. Gonna use the kit decals which are Cartograf printed and very pretty :thumbsup:, still need to add the yellow fin, lower cowling and under wingtips and a band of RLM 02 around the rear of the fuselage. Not so sure about the RLM 74, it's Xtracrylix and has come out very green green as opposed to the grey green it's supposed to be. Having looked at a lot of pics there seems to be a huge variation in the different interpretations of RLM 74 so it's gonna be staying as it is. I won't tell if you don't...

DSCN2955.jpg

DSCN2956.jpg

DSCN2958.jpg

Not much more done, painted the 'lella bits, wheel wells and black round the exhausts. Didn't fuss too much over getting the line tidy round the last bit as it'll be surrounded by the eagles head decals.

DSCN2964.jpg

DSCN2966.jpg

The RLM02 band on the real thing was very hastily and roughly sprayed, presumably as a temporary measure to block out whatever colour was underneath previously. I did the same and added some very soft RLM75 mottles over the top as per the pics.

DSCN2967.jpg

Gary

Not so sure about the RLM 74, it's Xtracrylix and has come out very green green as opposed to the grey green it's supposed to be.

...funny you should say that. A friend sent me some colour pics of a Fw 190 wreck recovery he was on in Normandy - and the 74 was very green after the parts retrieved (an almost complete section of horizontal stabiliser) had been wiped with a damp cloth. Once the dampness had evaporated it assumed a more 'normal' hue...

nice work..

Edited by FalkeEins

Ahhhh...now one of my all time faves........looking very much the biz so far...watching and waiting..........................ya done yet?!?! :whistle:

Ive noted modelers tend to run the RLM74 quite "drab," but in restorations it is more like you have shown - quite the green. I suspect the modeleers are doing worn and beaten finish.

Regardless, yours is lookng very FW-ish. What sort of airbrush are you using?

Ive noted modelers tend to run the RLM74 quite "drab," but in restorations it is more like you have shown - quite the green. I suspect the modeleers are doing worn and beaten finish.

Regardless, yours is lookng very FW-ish. What sort of airbrush are you using?

Thanks for the kind words folks. David, the airbrush used was a Badger 100LG, gravity fed, dual action. Fairly cheap, not the fanciest airbrush out there but until I develop the skills of a professional graphic artist (yeah right :lol: ) theres not a lot of point in getting anything else.

I've read quite a bit about RLM 74 in the last few days :nerd: across the various forums. The one single hard fact is that nobody really knows for certain :doh: and there are all sorts of variations out there. There does seem to be a bit of a growing belief though that it might well be greener than has been previously thought and certainly a lot of the fading you see tends to take away the colour. I was just surprised because I thought I knew what it looked like and the Xtracolour enamel I have and the Xtracrylix I used look nothing like each other. Oh well :shrug:

Gloss coated with Klear (buy it now before it's all gone!!) and I put the decals on yesterday

DSCN2975.jpg

DSCN2973.jpg

Fiddly bits and a wash next,

Gary