Tamiya 1/48 Me-262 A-1a ...[finished]

6bf4348c.jpg

OK, this one is pretty well progressed along now even though I'm only just starting the thread. It's my first Luftwaffe build (other than the ones as a kid) and I'm really enjoying it. Most of the construction was done on Friday/Saturday whilst watching Jen do a rather spectacular blitzbuild on a Tamiya FW-190. Unfortunately I can't keep pace with that, or come near the quality, so this one is still going now.

Here's where I'm at with it... Just starting the paint stage even though there are bits still to construct. The engines and tailplanes are such a clean fit that I've decided to paint them before construction to help with the paintwork. It'll be the first time I've done any mottling, which I'm a little cautious about yet!

052af898.jpg

I'm hoping to get a good day on it tomorrow and attempt the mottling ^_^

Karl.

A little progress on the 262... I've put on the blue for the side and undersides, and just finished off the greens on the wings and tailplanes. The tailplanes are still loose by the way, it's not a crappy seam!

fa6b0569.jpg

Next step is to lay on the greens on the top of the fuselage and protect that before I do my first mottling job ever!

Karl.

A little more progress... last night I dived right in and did my first mottling job with the airbrush directly onto the 262, no practises or anything. Well after some nervous spraying (and removing a couple of slightly heavy bits) I ended up with this. I'm pretty happy with it, and the more I look at it the more I like it!! It's definitely been a fun build to paint and I could get the bug for these Luftwaffe schemes!

Here's the latest. Not 100% finished on this side, still got a bit more of the second green to do on the tail, and the other side of the aircraft.

625b2b0d.jpg

6901be21.jpg

Can't wait to get some Gunze paints for these colours as the Vallejo Model Colors were playing me up immensly in my airbrush!

Not a bad result for a little cheapy chinese airbrush is it!

Karl.

Not a bad result for a little cheapy chinese airbrush is it!

Karl.

Karl,

Firstly, let me say nice work with the mottling and the rest of the colours for that matter!!

I also have a dual action "little cheapy chinese airbrush", and im interested in what steps you took to give such a fantastic mottling...!

Please

Cheers

Stuart

OK, as I was using Vallejo model colours, which are extremely soft in finish, I used a coat of Klear after each step of the paint job. In addition to sealing them and making them harder, it created a barrier for if I made any errors.

As for the mottling, I thinned the paint right down, and also dropped the air pressure low too. Using extremely light touches I built up the darker parts first, the added the lighter ones. Any bits I didn't like I could just wipe off due to the Klear barrier.

I did have lots of trouble with build up on the tip, and was cleaning it every few sprays. That was down to the paint more than the airbrush though.

Karl.

OK, as I was using Vallejo model colours, which are extremely soft in finish, I used a coat of Klear after each step of the paint job. In addition to sealing them and making them harder, it created a barrier for if I made any errors.

As for the mottling, I thinned the paint right down, and also dropped the air pressure low too. Using extremely light touches I built up the darker parts first, the added the lighter ones. Any bits I didn't like I could just wipe off due to the Klear barrier.

I did have lots of trouble with build up on the tip, and was cleaning it every few sprays. That was down to the paint more than the airbrush though.

Karl.

Thanks mate, I will follow this closely - I have the Revell night fighter, but it's in 1:72 :shithappens: Think I'm pretty screwed!!!

Right, coming along nicely now. Finished off all of the paintwork and attached the tailplanes and engines. Decalling to start in the morning and hopefully I might be finished by the end of the day!

Here's where I am now... I'm loving this one!

ab653cf4.jpg

ed8d4269.jpg

Karl.

Very nice job Karl....for some reason that Luftwaffe splinter scheme just seems to work with their birds.....and you nailed it.

That looks ace Karl :thumbsup:

Never done any mottling myself, though had a mess about practicing on an old model and got nowhere near a finish like yours- think we can safely say your a natural ;)

Look forward to seeing the finished article :)

OK, didn't quite get finished today due to a problem with the stripes on the back of the fuselage. That was the first decal I tried this morning and after 20 minutes of farting around with trying to get it to fit properly, it promptly broke up. So then I was left with the option of masking and spraying them, all in all it worked out far better as the final result looks much improved.

OK, decalling is all done on one side. Just got the question of whether to use a wash on it or not? The panel lines look nicely highlighted within the paintwork, so I'm in two minds on this. Undercarriage is all done ready for attaching after the flat coat and a bit of weathering.

Here's the sprayed fuselage stripes.

007d4d2f.jpg

The un-decalled side.

7f65d4e3.jpg

And the decalled side.

0c3b9af9.jpg

Coming to life nicely now me thinks!!

Karl.

Karl,

Id give it a wash personally, but then I use Phils wash as a weathering cheat aswell as a way to highlight panel lines. That aside, this is looking mighty fine so far and not long now :thumbsup2:

Thanks for sharing

Bex